UNDER CONSTRUCTION
1120 Burdett Avenue
Use: rental
Address: 1120 Burdett Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
1120-1128 Burdett Avenue is a proposal for a five-storey purpose-built rental complex along the 1100-block of ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1120 Burdett Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] 1120-1128 Burdett Avenue | Rentals | 5-storeys

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:58 AM

Rezoning sought for 36-unit Burdett Avenue condo proposal

http://victoria.citi...condo-proposal/

A four-storey condo development has been proposed for the 1100-block of Burdett Avenue in the City of Victoria’s Fairfield neighbourhood.

Empresa Properties is seeking to rezone three lots, each containing a single-family-dwelling, to erect a woodframe residential building consisting of 36 one- and two-bedroom homes with layouts between 565 and 1,082 square feet. Ground level units will include garden terraces while units on floors two-through-four will feature balconies of varying sizes. [Full article]

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-b.jpg

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-a.jpg

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-c.jpg

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-d.jpg

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-e.jpg

1120-1128-Burdett-Avenue-rendering-Citified-f.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

This should be rubber-stamped by city Council, so I would imagine it will create a major furor.

Burdett.JPG

Burdett2.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 04 May 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Oh I thought it was for sure going on this lot rather than replacing 3 houses.

t5P9MFW.jpg

Wonder when they'll build anything here. 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Oh I thought it was for sure going on this lot rather than replacing 3 houses....Wonder when they'll build anything here. 

It could be a while. Parking lots are as sacred as fires in some peoples' minds.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

That lot's already pretty much a construction site.  It was used as staging and material storage for nearby projects.  THey had the site prepped to build an apartment but the developer died and now it's in some weird limbo.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

That lot's already pretty much a construction site.  It was used as staging and material storage for nearby projects.  THey had the site prepped to build an apartment but the developer died and now it's in some weird limbo.

Interesting. Do you know who that developer was?

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

This should be rubber-stamped by city Council, so I would imagine it will create a major furor....

I so hate to be right about this sort of thing, but NIMBY strikes again. https://rightfitforburdett.com/

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

We've been made aware that the proponent of the website above has been spamming VV members via private message with the above URL. The username Muzungu, responsible for the messages, has been banned.

To the accountholder, I'd like to point out to you that resorting to mass-messaging individuals on VV is a surefire way to generate negative criticism towards your cause, not build support. It is no different than email spam or mass-messaging individuals via other mediums.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

To the individual behind the opposition website, it's going to be extremely difficult to convince council why a four-storey building situated among four-storey buildings is a bad fit for the neighbourhood.

The proposal is the sort of density elected officials have voiced they wish to see in Victoria's built-up areas close to commercial amenities (in this case, Cook Street Village), at a scale they will support (four-storeys among four-storeys is a shoe-in), at a density that is in-keeping with the vision for the Cook Street corridor.

Below is an aerial of the Empresa proposal's immediate surroundings.

Burdett.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

We've been made aware that the proponent of the website above has been spamming VV members via private message with the above URL. The username Muzungu, responsible for the messages, has been banned...

Alas, if Muzungu is an opponent to the Burdett project, by sharing his/her NIMBY information here, they have likely only garnered more support from VV-ers to see this proposal proceed. I suspect Muzungu mis-read the audience here on VV.

#11 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Uhh, why is this even a rezoning? Oh wait, yes, because we make building any sort of housing that isn't a single family house hard in most of North America.
  • Nparker likes this

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

Uhh, why is this even a rezoning? Oh wait, yes, because we make building any sort of housing that isn't a single family house hard in most of North America.

So is it open season on all Fairfield SFDs, even those not near a village centre?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:57 AM

That's the natural order of things since Victoria was settled.

Know it all.

#14 RejDev

RejDev
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

So is it open season on all Fairfield SFDs, even those not near a village centre?

have to agree with Rob, just because there are a few 4 story buildings around this proposal, does not mean it should be rubber stamped.  The proposal calls for a building substantially taller than any of the surrounding structures with way less set back than any of those buildings.  None of the surrounding buildings front on Burdett and all have vehicle access off of major roads.  putting vehicle access for 36 new residential units on one block of single family homes is not appropriate.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:01 AM

... just because there are a few 4 story buildings around this proposal, does not mean it should be rubber stamped.  ....

Let me take a wild guess: you're a first time VV poster, and likely a signatory to the previously linked NIMBY letter.

This project will go completely unnoticed once it is built and makes 100% sense for this location.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

RejDev, you might be looking at older plans. The latest plans indicate a virtually identical height between existing buildings and the proposal. Another building is almost as tall as the rest.

The variance the developer is asking for is 1.7 meters to accommodate the mechanical elements atop the roof.

burdett-1.jpg

Burdett-2.jpg

Burdett-3.jpg

Burdett-4.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#17 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

They are all "near a village centre". The furthest edge of Fairfield is 10 minutes walk from one of the village centres (or downtown). I know, because I live just inside Gonzales and walk Thrifty Foods in Fairfield Plaza/Ross Bay Village. So yes, I would support rezoning all of Fairfield to allow any form of 2-story ground oriented, with everything west of Cook 4-stories at a minimum. Villages would need higher zoning, but that is for another discussion.

And "open season" is the exact language that bothers me: we assume that SFD is somehow the natural "right" form of housing. It is only that way because zoning precludes building anything else. Look at all the non-SFD built around Victoria, Oak Bay, etc (EDIT: all built before the zoning changes). There are 2 duplexes on my street alone - both of which would require rezoning to buidl today. Yet they are totally invisible in comparison to the surrounding SFD.

Edited by Coreyburger, 09 May 2016 - 09:23 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

And then there is the issue of affordability. Very few Victorians (relatively speaking) can afford to buy and maintain a home in Fairfield, at least in this market.

This proposal will provide 36 opportunities for signicantly more affordable home ownership in a very popular neighbourhood. There's really no downside here, and who knows, if the homes are in good condition they may even qualify for a move to another location.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

None of the surrounding buildings front on Burdett and all have vehicle access off of major roads. putting vehicle access for 36 new residential units on one block of single family homes is not appropriate.

Looking at that aerial I posted earlier, it would appear that the four-storey apartment building fronting Cook Street immediately west of this proposal has vehicle access off Burdett, as does the three-storey building east of the "s" shaped building. The four-storey building across the street has vehicle access off Cook and a giant fence blocking vehicles from accessing Burdett.

Know it all.

#20 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

Only downside to me is another uninspired, unimaginative box.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users