Dirt bikes within Saanich?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

Wondering if anyone knows (or can find info for me!) whether dirt bike riding is allowed within Saanich municipality? I am talking non-licensed, NON-MUFFLERED dirt bikes on a private laneway surrounded by dwellings in the Saanich core.

There are two issues for us:

1) noise (they seem to run them around dinner time in, of course, nice weather when we are trying to have a nice dinner - doesn't matter inside or out, they are LOUD.

2) exhaust - again, they ride them on nice days - so usually we have our windows open, etc. or are in our backyard attempting to enjoy our home - but end up having to shut all our windows and leave our backyard to escape the exhaust smells and the ill-effects of that.

I have a call in Saanich Bylaw Enforcement but would love Vibrant Victoria's take on this too.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

I'm fairly certain riding dirt bikes in urban areas is illegal. Have you called Saanich police?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

If they're on private property, I'd think that it'd be legal; you probably have reasonable grounds for a noise complaint, though.

As a former (teenaged) dirt-bike owner in a residential area, I'd have to say that I was probably pretty oblivious to the noise that I was making, and how it could have been obnoxious to the neighbours.  Have you been to their front door, and talked to them/their parents before calling the bylaw people?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Did you not mentioned this before, LocalMom, a couple years ago? Still an issue? :(

At the very least, you've got legit noise complaint. The bikes themselves may not be illegal to ride on private property - I highly doubt it. I wonder if being in the urban containment boundary or not makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users