BUILT
Bowker Collection
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Bowker Avenue at Cadboro Bay Road
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 43-home, four-storey Bowker Collection is conceived as a contemporary classic of distinctive craft and qua... (view full profile)
Learn more about Bowker Collection on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] Bowker Collection | Condos, commercial space | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

a mere 7 hours of work and they are all tired and bleary eyed? how would these people survive in the real world
  • todd likes this

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

a mere 7 hours of work and they are all tired and bleary eyed? how would these people survive in the real world

To be fair, the 7 hour public hearing started after the end of the regular work day. I suspect most people get a little tired after 14 or 15 hours at their job in a single day.

#43 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

To be fair, the 7 hour public hearing started after the end of the regular work day. I suspect most people get a little tired after 14 or 15 hours at their job in a single day.

yeah but their regular work day consists mostly of eating lunch and smelling eachothers farts so its not too demanding
  • MarkoJ likes this

#44 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

yeah but their regular work day consists mostly of eating lunch and smelling eachothers farts so its not too demanding

because none of them have day jobs???? I think most of OB council has a day job on top of this.

• Nparker and Redd42 like this

#45 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Really?  Doesn't sound like a real job to me, or maybe you are just being extremely overly stereotypical.  In any case, I think we need to give people a bit of slack.  7 hour meetings when you need to be 100% on your game and paying attention is incredibly difficult and tiring.

• rjag, Redd42 and todd like this

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

4-storey Bowker condo gets green light from Oak Bay council

http://victoria.citi...ak-bay-council/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

:thumbsup:

#48 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

Why does it have to be something so butt ugly?

• Redd42 and todd like this

#49 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Why does it have to be something so butt ugly?

Abstract.

Apparently it's not part of city councils job to regulate ability to produce ugliness just size.

Apparently for some reason it's your god-given right to produce as ugly construction as you feel necessary.

Some people prefer the ugly look.

Edited by todd, 09 May 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#50 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

As a resident of the area, I don't mind the size of the development, but geez, Abstract and their big ugly boxes on top of buildings. 

#51 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

As a resident of the area, I don't mind the size of the development, but geez, Abstract and their big ugly boxes on top of buildings.

To be fair Abstract knows how to do appealing as well.. I guess something for everyone. http://abstractdevel...e-developments/

Edited by todd, 09 May 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#52 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

You must be able to build something so ugly but no human could possibly tolerate it?

Edited by todd, 09 May 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#53 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

because none of them have day jobs???? I think most of OB council has a day job on top of this.

Yes, most of them have jobs: Tara Ney teaches at UVic, Nils Jensen is a crown prosecutor, Michelle Kirby works for the CRA (and has two school age kids), Tom Croft is a realtor and Hazel Braithwaite works for United Way.

Also, OB council pays like crap given the hours required...

• Nparker, Redd42, johnk and 1 other like this

#54 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Abstract has a landing page up on their site. Includes a brief overview and an option to sign up for updates.

http://abstractdevel...project/bowker/

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

There's a "heaviness" to Village Walk, Black and White, and this Bowker project, although (again) I wouldn't say these are ugly buildings. I like how they're contrasting upper floors that look solid and heavy with ground levels that seem lighter and more open. But for this Bowker project the brick balconies in particular and the ground-level apartments on the back side struck me as just being too weighty.

It might just be that "brick fatigue" that people have mentioned on here before.

Edited by aastra, 09 May 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#56 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

There's a "heaviness" to Village Walk, Black and White, and this Bowker project, although (again) I wouldn't say these are ugly buildings. I like how they're contrasting upper floors that look solid and heavy with ground levels that seem lighter and more open. But for this Bowker project the brick balconies in particular and the ground-level apartments on the back side struck me as just being too weighty.

It might just be that "brick fatigue" that people have mentioned on here before.

These brick fatigues?

276d71095a70465927e6337edac37e2c.jpg

• aastra likes this

#57 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

When that "8 on the Park" was being built, the side view reminded me of a Mississippi riverboat! It seemed very top heavy with few windows. I don't find many of Abstract's designs very appealing. Of all of them, that Black and White thing is the worst. :confused: It's pretty close to where I live so I'll be seeing plenty of it, just like I see Terre Verde every day (I miss the large trees that used to be on that property).

• Redd42 likes this

#58 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:47 AM

Preliminary pricing and floor plans are out. 1 bed/1 bath start around $600k.

#59 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Preliminary pricing and floor plans are out. 1 bed/1 bath start around $600k.

So $1,000 a foot and up.....

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#60 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

So $1,000 a foot and up.....

Perfect sleep standing anyway.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users