Photo

Canadian Military and Defence

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

I've railed against CAF procurement practices for years but if this letter to the T-C doesn't prove once and for all what a shambles the Canadian system is I don't know what does: even by the pathetic standards of successive federal government (non support) of our military this is just craptastic - really the bottom of the barrel.

I thought our ineptitude couldn't sink lower than sending troops to a desert war (Afghanistan) kitted out in the European "green" battledress (thank God the US Marines at the time had extras they were willing to sell to us) , but if the assertion in this letter is true I might have been mistaken - can you picture any other major nation being such military candy asses as to actually force their combat soldiers to buy their own boots? And up to now not even being reimbursed for the expense???

https://www.timescol...oots-1.23387491

Honestly if this is true I do wonder why we bother even having a military? Just call it a day and pay the US $20-some odd billion CDN to do the job for us since we clearly have no clue and apparently no desire to the job ourselves. 

The troops are actually pretty happy about this. Making one piece footwear to issue everyone has never quite worked out, and trying to run multiple lines of boots for different requirements and foot types hasn't been easy. Troops have been wanting to use their own boots (and many of them were doing it too) for years. Now the CAF just reimburses soldiers for their purchase. It's way easier for them to have the entire consumer library available to select what is the best arch, ankle, etc support for the individual, rather than issue something that 'fits okay for most people'.

Edited by Mattjvd, 02 August 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#202 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

From 2006 to 2011 we had regular infantry battalions leading offensive operations against the Taliban in the largest engagements the CAF had seen since the Korean War

Yes quite correct I am well aware of that Matt, and certainly I never stated otherwise - sorry Spanky123 but you are incorrect re: Cdn special forces "only" engaging in offensive ops in Afghanistan; my comment above was specifically about our soldiers having to pay for their own boots. 

Yes other countries - particularly neutrals like Switzerland with large all volunteer 'weekend warrior soldiers' purchase their own kit: they are also reimbursed for it. I am not aware certainly of any NATO member whose regular soldiers are compelled to buy their own standard issue gear, out of pocket.....

• Mattjvd likes this

#203 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Yes quite correct I am well aware of that Matt, and certainly I never stated otherwise - sorry Spanky123 but you are incorrect re: Cdn special forces "only" engaging in offensive ops in Afghanistan; my comment above was specifically about our soldiers having to pay for their own boots. 

Yes other countries - particularly neutrals like Switzerland with large all volunteer 'weekend warrior soldiers' purchase their own kit: they are also reimbursed for it. I am not aware certainly of any NATO member whose regular soldiers are compelled to buy their own standard issue gear, out of pocket.....

Ahh, whoops. I meant to quote Spanky in that one.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#204 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

In the CAF, Army, and personnel from other branches posted to field units, are eligible to be reimbursed for a pair boots once per 24 months, up to $340. 

EDIT:

CANFORGEN 127/18 is the official order with the specifics 

Edited by Mattjvd, 02 August 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#205 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

In the CAF, Army and personnel from other branches posted to field units, are eligible to be reimbursed for a pair boots once per 24 months, up to $340. 

/\....Now that makes sense: again though per the letter writer none of the above was mentioned and according to him/her, up until now $ reimbursement was not the standard government practice, which is what I'm trying to ascertain. From the tone of the letter it sounds like the author has firsthand knowledge of the situation, however that is an assumption on my part.

• Mattjvd likes this

#206 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

/\....Now that makes sense: again though per the letter writer none of the above was mentioned and according to him/her, up until now $ reimbursement was not the standard government practice, which is what I'm trying to ascertain. From the tone of the letter it sounds like the author has firsthand knowledge of the situation, however that is an assumption on my part.

Ahh yes, the reimbursement is a rather new policy. 

In my experience (2009 to 2016): We bought our own boots, not because issued boots weren't available, but because you could find much better boots on the market. 

• AllseeingEye and jasmineshinga like this

#207 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

The Canadian issued dessert boot was issued 2005 and on. A battle group (1900- 2200 soldiers) which rotated every 6/7 months, this boot was worn by 75-90% of the troops. Over half would see combat while more did operations outside the wire.  Spanky123 your wrong in this regard.

I do know that later tours had more troops (RECCE and Snipers in particular) purchasing an higher end boot.

The real soldiers will be happy with this new boot policy.  WOGs/REMFs will also enjoying parading around in their new boots.

#208 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

^^ The only Canadians who actually fought in combat operations were the special forces folks. They have their own camo. Anyone I know that went overseas (and I know a lot), never saw the outside of the green zone.

Some Canadians soldiers were buying their own boots due to supply shortages. It was not a requirement nor systemic. They should have been reimbursed but for some reason some were not. That is being fixed. My. Cyr makes it sound like buying boots was a requirement for all military. I think he read a few articles and then jumped to his own conclusion.

What in the hell are you even talking about? Some close personal friends of mine served in Afghanistan and they certainly didn't sit around in any green zone. 

• AllseeingEye, jonny and todd like this

#209 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:05 PM

I am not aware certainly of any NATO member whose regular soldiers are compelled to buy their own standard issue gear, out of pocket.....

American officers. I'm always shocked that is how they do business and that they don't seem to care generally. They get a significant allowance for it, but it isn't enough.

This Canadian boot policy is really popular from my social network which is military heavy.

Edited by 57WestHills, 02 August 2018 - 08:06 PM.

#210 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

The letter writer states otherwise; I would love to know first hand from someone who is serving currently if that is the real deal....

Confirmed by the hubby, a serving member, that he's been buying his own boots for years due to shortages (and generally shi**y boots). Finally getting a $300/a allowance for the purchases. Doesn't make up for the hundreds he's spent over the years, but still...

~ Jasmine ~

#211 jonny

jonny
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

I heard that 443 Squadron out at the airport received their first CH-148 Cyclone and expects to receive a couple more by the end of the year. One old Sea King has been retired. 

The first CH-148 to be deployed  overseas is currently on a mission in Eastern Europe. I hadn't realized these were finally being not only delivered but deployed. 

Apparently 423 Squadron out in Halifax has retired all of their Sea Kings. 

Finally some good news for the RCAF. 

#212 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

I heard that 443 Squadron out at the airport received their first CH-148 Cyclone and expects to receive a couple more by the end of the year. One old Sea King has been retired. 

The first CH-148 to be deployed  overseas is currently on a mission in Eastern Europe. I hadn't realized these were finally being not only delivered but deployed. 

Apparently 423 Squadron out in Halifax has retired all of their Sea Kings. 

Finally some good news for the RCAF. 

One hopes the new Cyclones can remain in service half as long as the 55 year run the Sea Kings had.

• jonny likes this

#213 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Nice write up and pix here:

https://www.timescol...ings-1.23397390

• jonny likes this

#214 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:11 AM

The Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, announced Friday that a new Canadian Coast Guard search and rescue station will be built in Tahsis to allow for an enhanced response to marine emergencies on the northwest coast of Vancouver Island.

The station is being built under the auspices of the $1.5 billion Oceans Protection Plan which the Government of Canada is using to improve marine safety and protect Canada’s waters and coasts.

The new station will be home to a 14.7-metre Canadian Coast Guard lifeboat, and will operate 24-hours-a-day, 365-days-a-year.  It is expected to open in early 2020.Tahsis is located in the area of Nootka Sound, which has been identified as a location that would benefit from increased marine search and rescue capacity. https://www.northisl...tion-in-tahsis/

13281685_web1_180824-CRM-Cape-Ann.jpg  

#215 nerka

nerka
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

We are ticking down to the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1.

That war should never have happened. But it did.

Good time to think of the amazing contributions and amazing sacrifices made by the Canadians. And not just Vimy either.

I don't often agree with David Frum, but this article captures it very well:

https://nationalpost...ing-beyond-vimy

• AllseeingEye and lanforod like this

#216 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

We are ticking down to the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1.

That war should never have happened. But it did.

Good time to think of the amazing contributions and amazing sacrifices made by the Canadians. And not just Vimy either.

I don't often agree with David Frum, but this article captures it very well:

https://nationalpost...ing-beyond-vimy

Concur completely but of course we've been brow beat over the last 40-50 years to downplay all things military, if not actually disdain them. Largely I think because of our latter day reputation as "peace keepers". And sure we've generally played that role and played it well when called upon.

But make no mistake while fighting wars of aggression - for territorial gain for example - is and never was our thing, some of the very toughest, meanest and most capable hombres ever to assemble on a battlefield over the last century were Canadian. The very first reference to "shock troops" was Kaiser Wilhelm when speaking of the Canadians as "the shock troops of the British Empire". And if you're ever inclined read up on a few regimental and unit diaries of the German Army from WWII (including a few SS units) who uniformly hated going up against Canadians in battle because we were generally pretty good at killing Germans.

Nice find nerka, a good read and some insightful analysis re "other" Canadian exploits during the Great War.

Frum is bang on with regard to Amiens but while many if not most Canadians could mumble a few words acknowledging Vimy, I'm pretty certain today almost none of them know anything about Amiens and the pivotal role played by our troops in that strategic battle. I also find myself often at odds with David Frum, but he nails it here.....

• jasmineshinga and nerka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users