BUILT
1400 Quadra Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400-1412 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 14
1400-1412 Quadra Street is a 14-storey purpose-built rental complex on Quadra Street at Johnson Street in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1400 Quadra Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1400 Quadra Street | Rentals, retail | 14-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Except for the fact that I would never rent from a private condo owner.

Why not?  People seek that out often, rather than an all-rental building. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Because I view it as not as safe and you are at the whim of a single owner... I have had too many friends experience horror stories of single owners. IMHO you are more secure in a business that is in the business of renting... not just making a buck on a investment (not that rental companies of large complexes aren't in it for the buck). If my rental building sells it's 90%* more likely to continue being a rental. If an owner sells their condo it's 25%* likely that it will not become a private residence.

*VHF stats

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 April 2018 - 05:16 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#143 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Looks really good, hopefully this and the Yates/Vivid will invigorate this area!

#144 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

At least they managed to get rid of the utility pole in V 4

I prefer V4 to V1 and V2, but would pick V3 if I had a choice. 

#145 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

That's a good point. Most people would look for some sort of progression re: sharpening and refinement, and thus arrange them in reverse order. The newest version actually looks like an altogether different project (awaiting its own process of refinement).

As always I await a better rendering in full colour that might change my impression, but the quality of these images seems to be sufficient to get the gist of it.

It becomes all the more frustrating when you check out other residential buildings by the same architects.

I find the latest rendering the most handsome and least generic of the bunch. Its darker materials for sure but it works and looks dramatic and urban. Could be taller but it looks great. Should be condos

I'm hoping that this is one of those cases where the finished product looks a lot better than the rendering. The last one thankfully returns to the sharp colour contrast of the first proposal. The third one was very washed out. I agree with RFS that the final proposal is more urban-looking. The first one is very Songhees, whereas the final one is more old town. Hopefully Johnson Street will come together with all of these new and future developments!

#146 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

I'd love to be proven wrong but I feel like it's a textbook case of a design that's more concerned about not being something than about being something. The problem with being afraid to suggest even the slightest resemblance to anything being built in Vancouver or Toronto or Seattle or San Diego (or other parts of Victoria) etc. is that that you're backing yourself into a corner. What's left to do after you've ruled out so much?

Anyway, we'll see.

• Nparker likes this

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

I like the bulkiness of it. It reminds me of office towers in American cities but obviously on a much, much smaller scale.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#148 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

So when will we see the homeless housing relocated  and the property sold/redeveloped? Before or after it's surrounded by towers?

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

So when will we see the homeless housing relocated  and the property sold/redeveloped? Before or after it's surrounded by towers?

Well after.  Unless they destroy the place first.   Which is possible I guess.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#150 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Well after.  Unless they destroy the place first.   Which is possible I guess.

Given the deterioration since the current residents took occupancy, the life span of this building might be less than 10 more years.

#151 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

I really dislike this version. I mean REALLY dislike it. It looks like someone had a basket of podiums and towers and they just picked up a couple and stuck them together. The bottom looks like it would work well in Old Town as infill and the top looks like a part of the Hudson District. They should not be together creating one building. I would love to hear the architect tell me how they go together.

While I do have some modernist tendencies which can go awry, I would hands down choose the very first version. It looked sleek and refined, different than anything else you see in Victoria. This last one looks like a Po-Mo hatch job.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#152 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

I find the latest rendering the most handsome and least generic of the bunch. Its darker materials for sure but it works and looks dramatic and urban. Could be taller but it looks great. Should be condos

As long as they don’t cheap out on the materials, I totally agree with this assessment! It’s a little bit badass and a substantial building. The other versions were generic and boring.
  • jonny likes this

#153 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Just a quick re-cap.

113 rental apartments pitched for Johnson Street at Quadra Street

https://victoria.cit...-quadra-street/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#154 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Are there plans for the Ming's site or the Dry Cleaner?  I imagine the dry cleaner site could require some remediation, but at least the Alpha proposal should bring some life to this corner.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#155 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

^It was a dry cleaner for decades and before that a garage. Short of nuclear waste it doesn't get worse than that.

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and jonny like this

#156 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

Are there plans for the Ming's site or the Dry Cleaner?  I imagine the dry cleaner site could require some remediation, but at least the Alpha proposal should bring some life to this corner.

I know that the owner of Ageless Living has been watching this proposal with interest. Unsure how receptive the owner of the dry cleaning property is to consolidation and redevelopment at this time, though.

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

I’m hearing there’s some movement happening with the dry cleaner side of the equation.

[Edited by admin]

Know it all.

#158 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

^Will we hear about it in one hour?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

I’m hearing there’s so movement happening with the dry cleaner side of the equation.

Do you mean "some" movement or "no" movement?

#160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Yup, some.

Sorry Rob, only the martinizing service is one hour.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users