British Columbia real-estate and foreign buyer taxes

• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#621 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Gosh those gulf islands sure are nice.

Lower taxes, insanely cheap ferries, no sewage treatment boondoggle, no hundred million dollar bridges ...

Matt.

No economy to speak of.   Truly a paradise :)

• Matt R. likes this

#622 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

FFS, build more housing, that's the fix, not forcing more people into the existing stock against peoples' will.

Since this "housing crisis" began in the 90's or whenever, what is the amount of people living per dwelling, has that gone up or down?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#623 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

FFS, build more housing, that's the fix, not forcing more people into the existing stock against peoples' will.

Since this "housing crisis" began in the 90's or whenever, what is the amount of people living per dwelling, has that gone up or down?

Single-family neighbourhoods have decreased in population density, generally. The average family size has been unchanged between 1991 and 2016, at 2.7 persons.

#624 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

My muni will not allow anonymous reporting. If you wish to make a complaint your name and address are required. 

I suspect that would exist for all munis then

Most people when they go away for extended periods have someone looking after the house for them. Lights are turned on and off, toilets are flushed, heat is on but set low. Any notices left would be attended to by the person looking after the place.

So what happens if I decide to go south for say 2 months during the winter, what about 3 months? 4?  at what point is my house not taxed as vacant?

That may be so, but the person the complaint is made against will not be told who is complaining

Unless you file a freedom of information request

Gosh those gulf islands sure are nice.

Lower taxes, insanely cheap ferries, no sewage treatment boondoggle, no hundred million dollar bridges ...

Matt.

Even better on the saanich peninsula because we have none of those issues either and no ferry headaches if you want do actually do something, go shopping, go to Costco, etc, etc

• Matt R. likes this

#625 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

So what happens if I decide to go south for say 2 months during the winter, what about 3 months? 4?  at what point is my house not taxed as vacant?

Going by the precedent set in Vancouver, a home occupied for at least six months of a year by the owner, friend or family of the owner, or a tenant is not classified as vacant

#626 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

ok thanks.  I have no idea how they are ever going to enforce this thing.  They show up 1 day the owner was away for a few days, 2nd time they show up the owner was on a weeks vacation, 3rd time they show up gone for an extended weekend, blah, blah, blah.

The more its talked about, its government lip service to fight the housing crisis so when its election time about they can say look at what we did ABCD

#627 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

No economy to speak of.   Truly a paradise :)

Could have fooled me!

Matt.

#628 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Horgan backpedals furiously away from the blanket, one-size-fits-all 2nd home tax. That would be unnecessary if some of the brain trust got out more into the real world. Who dreams up this crap and how did they get their jobs? Donald Duck could have seen the shitestorm this brainwave would generate.
  • jonny likes this

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

VHF and I sat down for a beer with the mayor yesterday.

We all agreed that the NDP’s handling of the tax was atrocious and sent a chilling message to Canadians. Had this tax only been applied to foreign buyers there would have been virtually zero opposition.
  • VicHockeyFan, rjag, jonny and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#630 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

^there would also be near zero revenue collected....a couple of Million isn't even a rounding error...just saying 

#631 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Horgan backpedals furiously away from the blanket, one-size-fits-all 2nd home tax. That would be unnecessary if some of the brain trust got out more into the real world. Who dreams up this crap and how did they get their jobs? Donald Duck could have seen the shitestorm this brainwave would generate.

...We all agreed that the NDP’s handling of the tax was atrocious and sent a chilling message to Canadians... 

Must be lots of uncertainty for so many homeowners, as even reactions by municipalities to the new BC taxes are all over the map.

Nanaimo has added itself to the list of municipalities that want out of the speculation tax.

Meanwhile, some BC municipalities (Squamish, Bowen Island) want to NOT be excluded from the new speculation tax...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4598974?cmp=rss

#632 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

FFS, build more rental housing, that's the fix, not forcing more people into the existing stock against peoples' will.

Fixed that for you. Vancouver has shown that no amount of built housing can exceed the demand of foreigners and speculators with cash in hand.

#633 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Fixed that for you. Vancouver has shown that no amount of built housing can exceed the demand of foreigners and speculators with cash in hand.

If that's truly the issue, than hammer foreign speculators in Vancouver with a 1,000% annual speculation tax. 

This thing they've concocted is a half assed Frankentax that is at least as much about generating revenue as addressing any housing issues. 

Edited by jonny, 03 April 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#634 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

wynn1.jpeg

If that's truly the issue, than hammer foreign speculators in Vancouver with a 1,000% annual speculation tax. 

This thing they've concocted is a half assed Frankentax that is at least as much about generating revenue as addressing any housing issues. 

You have to use your imagination to come up with ways to pay for "free ****" We are starting down that path but Wynn has it mastered.

• GaryRanson and lanforod like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#635 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

wynn1.jpeg

You have to use your imagination to come up with ways to pay for "free ****" We are starting down that path but Wynn has it mastered.

Hopefully BC taxpayers are watching...

Oh, and of course they're also paying for it by cutting stuff without telling folks. Eg. https://globalnews.c...th-care-system/

#636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

So what started Ontario’s nightmare? Was it the energy deal?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#637 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

BC speculation tax petition draws thousands of signatures as frustration mounts

Know it all.

#638 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Good to see Stew Young putting a motion to opt out. Silence from the core muni's

#639 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

"Langford mayor Stew Young who presides over the West Shore's largest municipality said he welcomes out-of-province and foreign investment in his community and depends on part time residents to help fund infrastructure projects"

seriously? people have 2nd homes in Langford?

#640 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

seriously? people have 2nd homes in Langford?

Bear Mountain is full of 'em.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 April 2018 - 05:42 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)