Photo

Best ice cream in the summer of '16

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ham Saanich

Ham Saanich
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Been indulging in ice cream this summer, and have landed on Island Farms Extreme Moose Tracks as my so-far most preferred combination of price and chocolate. Udder Guys, Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry - which of these can match or better Moose Tracks for good dark chocolate, even if you get a lot less quantity for the price. Are there other brands to try, that can be bought in the CRD? Thanks. Slurp.

#2 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

Ice cream in Victoria is expensive, even for regular brands. I'll buy good ice cream, like HD or B&J if they're on sale. If not, I agree with you that Moose Tracks is good for the price.

#3 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

This thread is like two aliens wearing human costumes and fooling no one.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

I really like Moose Tracks. It's often on sale too, so I'll buy a couple of cartons when it is.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Ham Saanich. Strange first post. It looks a little like spam, but then again it doesn't.

If it was....then it would be Spam Ham Saanich. :)

• VicHockeyFan, sebberry, Bingo and 1 other like this

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

Beacon burger, although that new chocolate place on Government is pretty epic (high priced though).

Best thing right now might be a milkshake, chocolate or vanilla ice cream in a blender with blackberries and milk.

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

Beacon burger, although that new chocolate place on Government is pretty epic (high priced though).

Best thing right now might be a milkshake, chocolate or vanilla ice cream in a blender with blackberries and milk.

This isn't really take home ice cream you're talking about though right? You're talking about dessert at a restaurant or fast food place?

#8 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

Parachute Ice Cream on Bridge makes some pretty good stuff in their ice cream machines on site.  Had a great grapefruit ice cream and a surprising creamsicle flavored on made with observable orange zest.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Ham Saanich. Strange first post. It looks a little like spam, but then again it doesn't.

If it was....then it would be Spam Ham Saanich. :)

I agree, and it could also be a  Spam Ham Saanich Sham...hold the Mayo.    :)

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

For trying ice cream at home...you could use a #20 "Fisher" ice-cream scoop made in Orillia Ontario...

20160720_105102.jpg

...or you could use a #23 serving spoon and feast right from the tub.

20160720_105416.jpg

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

I took Jason-L's advice and tried Parachute on Bridge Street. Terrific ice cream.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:18 PM

I took Jason-L's advice and tried Parachute on Bridge Street. Terrific ice cream.

Do you see what has happened here? It has been 9 days since the dubious Ham Saanich started this ice cream thread and we haven't heard a peep from him since. Now some of our valued long time posters are following each other around the city looking for the ultimate ice cream.

I have the sudden urge to dig up my piggy bank and head to Bridge Street.....and that's just the beginning.

Damn you Ham.
  • aastra likes this

#13 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

there's a decent place on burnside across the street from 7-11 (it's painted a pinkish red and green colour) great prices, decent serving size... basic island farms adult cone is $1.49, kids cone 99c (same size as adult cone but a kid needs to be with you to get the kid price) for an extra 50c you can upgrade to a waffle cone, and for an extra 50c you can upgrade to the higher quality foothills ice cream, they probably have 30+ flavors your classics and your really odd flavors that only a kid would love, really friendly staff well worth the stop!

• Matt R. likes this

#14 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

About how much for a cone at Parachute, and is the serving size decent?

Years ago the fish and chip place in Cook Street Village sold ice cream cones. Just Island Farms ice cream, but huge servings for a low price.

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

That Am2Pm market on Burnside is crazy! Lot different now than it was before it changed hands. I've heard about the ice cream, gotta check that out! Foothills makes great butter, their ice cream is probably just as good.

Matt.
  • Midnightly likes this

#16 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:19 AM

that's the name of the place on burnside.. Am2Pm!  the foothills ice cream is great (i found they have a much larger selection in the foothills flavors then the island farms) last time i was in i had rootbeer float ice cream and the kid had sort of crazy flavor that had rockets candy in it...someone told me they also make their waffle cones too.. the staff has always been super nice every time i've been in and the basic scoop is a very generous sized scoop of ice cream

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

#doeshamsandwichmatter?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

At Parachute I had a cup rather than a cone. I honestly can't remember how much they were. We bought a bunch and spent a fortune (as always seems to happen when the gang goes on an ice cream adventure). I want to say it was ~$4.50 for a cup? Portion size was good enough for me. They also have ice cream in jars. I want to say they were $9? Or maybe $10 but you get a dollar off on your next one if you return the jar? I can't remember.

• Jill likes this

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

...is the serving size decent?

The portions at Parachute aren't going to make your eyes pop out or anything like that. I'd say they were what you'd expect. Not massive but also not skimpy. For reference you should note that I don't feel ripped off by the size of the shakes at Big Wheel.

Nothing is going to compare to the 12-pound "highrise" shake at VV's commissary.

ar126637443418218.jpg

• Jill likes this

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

^Yeah, but there's a lot of filler in those. It's like half cellulose and guar gum.

• aastra likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users