Photo

Best ice cream in the summer of '16

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

^Yeah, but there's a lot of filler in those. It's like half cellulose and guar gum.

You've heard about those frozen desserts that don't melt? At VV's commissary the frozen desserts actually increase in volume as they get warmer. That's why the mouth of the milkshake glass is so wide. To prevent a dangerous build-up of pressure. When those glasses rupture it's like a 105mm shell going off.

I still think we should be recycling those big glasses but I don't want to get into another argument with Mike K. about it.

Edited by aastra, 27 July 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

^Remember in 2010 when VV co-founder Scaper topped out at 240 pounds before going on a strict diet/workout regime? I think that's when the commissary swapped out the poutine wings for kale salad.

#23 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

Whatever happened to the Great Scaper..?  He just disappeared off the face of the earth..

#24 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

that's the name of the place on burnside.. Am2Pm!  the foothills ice cream is great (i found they have a much larger selection in the foothills flavors then the island farms) last time i was in i had rootbeer float ice cream and the kid had sort of crazy flavor that had rockets candy in it...someone told me they also make their waffle cones too.. the staff has always been super nice every time i've been in and the basic scoop is a very generous sized scoop of ice cream

that's the name of the place on burnside.. Am2Pm!  the foothills ice cream is great (i found they have a much larger selection in the foothills flavors then the island farms) last time i was in i had rootbeer float ice cream and the kid had sort of crazy flavor that had rockets candy in it...someone told me they also make their waffle cones too.. the staff has always been super nice every time i've been in and the basic scoop is a very generous sized scoop of ice cream

I must find this place if they have root beer ice cream. We used to buy root beer cones at Parksville in the late 1950s at a place called Donks. I find going out for ice cream is very expensive in Victoria. It's cheaper to buy an excellent cone on the Cote d'Azur and they have amazing flavours like rose, jasmine, lavender, poppy...my all time favorite is violet.

I wish Island Farms still sold ice cream by the litre. Their sizes are way too big for one person and my husband doesn't eat ice cream due to allergies.

Edited by mbjj, 27 July 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#25 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

You can get Island Farms in 1.65 litre containers. That's too much? It keeps for a long time -- in a freezer.

#26 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

Too much for me and then it goes icy and tastes awful. I prefer the old one litre size then you could have had a couple of different flavours on the go at once. Something like mint chocolate chip I only want a small amount. I buy way less ice cream than I used to as it seems every company makes larges sizes.

#27 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

it goes icy and tastes awful.

Put a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface before you put the lid back on. it extends the freezer life - you don't get ice crystals forming. Martha recommended it, and it works.
  • Mike K. likes this

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Put a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface before you put the lid back on. it extends the freezer life - you don't get ice crystals forming. Martha recommended it, and it works.

You get around 12 scoops per litre, so for a family of 4 at 3 scoops each it's gone in a single sitting and you save money on plastic wrap.

I've never had a problem with ice crystals, but I have had a problem with sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia if you eat ice cream too fast.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

$144,999

Great opportunity for rebranding as your choice at this location. Situated in one of the most busiest shopping mall in Victoria, Hillside Mall went through a 80 million dollar renovation and this well established store is superbly situation right next to the food court. Walking distance to Camosun College and a few mins drive to UVIC. Qoola is driven by the desire to provide healthy and wide variety of products for the community. That is why it is one of the most successful brand in the industry. This location provides the opportunity to increase its menu selection and sales. All ready to go, don't let the frozen yogurt melt! 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-hillside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users