91 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

http://aflagforvictoria.weebly.com/

a Flag for Victoria

We live in a beautiful, vibrant, and dynamic city; our civic design should reflect that. Let's start a crowd-sourced city-wide competition to choose  a flag for the city of Victoria!

Join us. Our future is bright; let's make our flag bright

​Our Goal: to create a movement which will lead Victoria to run an open, crowd-sourced flag competition in order to choose a good design for our deserving city.  We acknowledge that there is an unofficial logo-flag in use, but we think Victoria is more than a corporate symbol. Our first step is to begin the discussion; we will petition council to officially run a competition in the coming months. The flag chosen should be available for purchase by the public, represent its people, and maintain good design principles.

​A flag serves not only to represent its people to the world, but to engage citizens in design. We want our flag to say 'Victoria' in the same way the Canadian flag says 'Canada'.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

No love for toga chicks?

4627320528_0a24789a80.jpg

• nagel likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

Why is there no name associated with this petition?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

^ Helps didn't wanted to be called out on it :-)

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Why is there no name associated with this petition?

Uh...

Callum McDonald is a grade 12 student at Oak Bay Secondary school, where he takes design as an elective. He is also part of the City of Victoria Youth Council, which works in conjunction with the city, and on its own, to organize projects around Victoria. Callum fatefully decided to learn the ~200 U.N. world flags in 2013, and has never looked back. 

Callum's inspiration for a flag competition came from Roman Mars's TED Talk seminar shown above (below). He got in contact with the mayor months later and has now began the hard journey to a new flag, along with some fellow flag-enthusiasts and a few Vexillologists. 

http://aflagforvicto....com/about.html

http://youtu.be/pnv5iKB2hl4

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

I see. I didn't notice the name, it's not on the PR release, nor in the first page info. But if this is the person behind it, why is the initiative attributed to a "group?" And is this student a resident of the City of Victoria?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

And is this student a resident of the City of Victoria?

Nope, he lives in Oak Bay.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

My City of Victoria flag suggestion:

"A homeless camp, enveloped in giant marijuana leaves, atop 2 crossed syringes; in the distance a Golden Retriever sheds a single tear."
(view of Sooke Hills obscured)

Hopefully someone with artistic or Photoshop skills can mock this up for me.

Can I have my money now?

• VicHockeyFan, LJ, Dietrich and 2 others like this

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

No love for toga chicks?

4627320528_0a24789a80.jpg

No offense to the AllseeingEye, but the all seeing eye is bit weird in a 1962 city crest?

Edited by todd, 19 July 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

In the TED piece it said most "larger" cities have flags, why would Victoria bother with this?

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

No offense to the AllseeingEye, but the all seeing eye is bit weird in a 1962 city crest?

No offence taken todd, heh. But just so you know the group most closely associated with the "All Seeing Eye", aka the "The Eye of Providence/the Eye of God", was around for a looooooong time before 1962. Moreover locally, provincially and globally membership peaked in about 1964-5 so not really surprising the symbology would be prominent even earlier in the decade.

The ASE symbol has been around since the early Egyptians and has been incorporated into all manner of document and symbol including flags and currency. Semper Liber literally translates to "Always Free". As a guess I would speculate it was incorporated into the CoV Coat of Arms due to the fact many of the early prominent citizens and leading political figures were masons

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

ASE, are you able to discuss the meaning behind the symbolism on that crest/logo?

Know it all.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Can't speak to the design of the broader Coat of Arms for the city per se Mike; as I understand it a COA is granted by the College of Arms in London. A quick search shows 1962 is in fact the year Victoria received its COA as Canada fell under the purview of the English heralds at that time - so no surprise it was vetted and approved by London.

As to the ASE that symbol dates to ancient Egypt (the Eye of Horus), India and Nepal among other places; the "Eye" has historically appeared on a multitude of local and national documents and other items representative of a place or group or nation. In a nutshell it represents the supremacy of divine providence, spiritual truth and awakening consciousness, both for the individual and the collective group. It long pre-dates speculative masonry which only formally emerged 300 years ago, although operative masons of course were actively working in Europe for hundreds of years before that.

From the perspective of contemporary masons the Eye is an important symbol of the Supreme Being, borrowed by the (Speculative) Freemasons from the nations of antiquity noted above.

The "all seeing" eye was viewed by the ancient Hebrews and others as the symbol of the eye of God Himself specifically, interpreted as the symbol of divine watchfulness and care of the universe, and of the affairs of Man. In short it is a symbol of Omnipresent Deity and hence its historic importance in many western societies over time; in the modern era, the most notable depiction of the eye as most of us know is the reverse of the Great Seal of the United States, which appears on the United States one-dollar bill.

In recent years of course anti-masonic groups and individuals have alluded to the ASE as being symbolic of the original (Bavarian) Illuminati who, according to conspiracy theorists, migrated to Scotland in the Middle Ages and, ultimately, supposedly according to the conspiracy folks secretly co-opted and assumed primacy over World Freemasonry with the aim of asserting control over world affairs. Possibly - but if so I clearly missed the memo.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 19 July 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#14 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

Can't speak to the design of the broader Coat of Arms for the city per se Mike; as I understand it a COA is granted by the College of Arms in London. A quick search shows 1962 is in fact the year Victoria received its COA as Canada fell under the purview of the English heralds at that time - so no surprise it was vetted and approved by London.

As to the ASE that symbol dates to ancient Egypt (the Eye of Horus), India and Nepal among other places; the "Eye" has historically appeared on a multitude of local and national documents and other items representative of a place or group or nation. In a nutshell it represents the supremacy of divine providence, spiritual truth and awakening consciousness, both for the individual and the collective group. It long pre-dates speculative masonry which only formally emerged 300 years ago, although operative masons of course were actively working in Europe for hundreds of years before that.

From the perspective of contemporary masons the Eye is an important symbol of the Supreme Being, borrowed by the (Speculative) Freemasons from the nations of antiquity noted above.

The "all seeing" eye was viewed by the ancient Hebrews and others as the symbol of the eye of God Himself specifically, interpreted as the symbol of divine watchfulness and care of the universe, and of the affairs of Man. In short it is a symbol of Omnipresent Deity and hence its historic importance in many western societies over time; in the modern era, the most notable depiction of the eye as most of us know is the reverse of the Great Seal of the United States, which appears on the United States one-dollar bill.

In recent years of course anti-masonic groups and individuals have alluded to the ASE as being symbolic of the original (Bavarian) Illuminati who, according to conspiracy theorists, migrated to Scotland in the Middle Ages and, ultimately, supposedly according to the conspiracy folks secretly co-opted and assumed primacy over World Freemasonry with the aim of asserting control over world affairs. Possibly - but if so I clearly missed the memo.....

Must give you the memo when you hit degree 33 looks like one more to go.

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

Must give you the memo when you hit degree 33 looks like one more to go.

Although the the '33rd' is surrounded by a veil of mystery especially for non-masons, the "33rd Degree" is simply part of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, which is a concordant organization that exists within Freemasonry (the York Rite being the other primary example), and which Master Masons may join if they choose to. Or not its entirely their decision.

The "degrees" of the Scottish Rite, or the York Rite, are not 'higher' than the Third degree of Master Mason, despite the numerical inference.

The 3rd degree is in fact the pinnacle of craft masonry, where we are taught that we are all equal, your "degree level" notwithstanding. You cannot advance to or achieve or even petition for entrance to the 33rd BTW, it has been to conferred upon the recipient by the fraternity. It is usually conferred on brethren who have performed exemplary service to the lodge or their community, or both. The attachment shows the jewel of the 32nd which the holder of that degree wears in AASR/Scottish Rite meetings. Its 33rd equivalent is a golden double headed eagle on a white satin necklace with the gold border:

Attached Images

• 32nd.jpg

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

I think that the most appropriate flag for Victoria is just a plan white flag. That would accurately reflect the success our mayor and council have had dealing with every issue related to homelessness, the bridge, sewage, pot, etc

• VicHockeyFan and LJ like this

#17 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

I think that the most appropriate flag for Victoria is just a plan white flag. That would accurately reflect the success our mayor and council have had dealing with every issue related to homelessness, the bridge, sewage, pot, etc

I'll take that a step further and nominate this image, sans watermarks, as a tribute to Victoria's favorite pastime: independent studies.

stock-vector-paperwork-businessman-hand-

• Nparker likes this

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

Although the the '33rd' is surrounded by a veil of mystery especially for non-masons, the "33rd Degree" is simply part of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, which is a concordant organization that exists within Freemasonry (the York Rite being the other primary example), and which Master Masons may join if they choose to. Or not its entirely their decision.

The "degrees" of the Scottish Rite, or the York Rite, are not 'higher' than the Third degree of Master Mason, despite the numerical inference.

The 3rd degree is in fact the pinnacle of craft masonry, where we are taught that we are all equal, your "degree level" notwithstanding. You cannot advance to or achieve or even petition for entrance to the 33rd BTW, it has been to conferred upon the recipient by the fraternity. It is usually conferred on brethren who have performed exemplary service to the lodge or their community, or both. The attachment shows the jewel of the 32nd which the holder of that degree wears in AASR/Scottish Rite meetings. Its 33rd equivalent is a golden double headed eagle on a white satin necklace with the gold border:

Similar eh?

post-639-0-57444900-1469031717.jpg Blue_UN_logod.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Was going to say I certainly hope whatever the outcome, assuming there is one, the result won't be some politically-correct nonsense that attempts to molly-coddle and pander to every special interest group under the sun.....

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Thanks ASE. Are you able to comment on the other symbolism, like the angels, the wreath, the ribbon of blue and white, etc?

As far as I'm concerned, having the Eye of Horus on the City's coat of arms is more indicative of the fraternal affiliations of Victoria's establishment than an innocent reference to a "God." There's far more to every inch of that design than meets the eye. Everything there has a very specific, purposeful esoteric meaning that appears innocuous to individuals not initiated in the rites of various organizations that have exerted political control or influence over our affairs.

Hey, as an FYI, did you know that the pathway leading north from the Legislature points directly at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver with Mt Douglas directly between both points? How bizarre is that?

When it comes to city planning, nothing is by mistake, nothing is accidental, it all has far deeper meaning than a laymen is expected to understand. Coat of arms included.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users