Photo

New flag for the City of Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hey, as an FYI, did you know that the pathway leading north from the Legislature points directly at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver with Mt Douglas directly between both points? How bizarre is that?

Oh no, I see another zip-line proposal coming.

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks ASE. Are you able to comment on the other symbolism, like the angels, the wreath, the ribbon of blue and white, etc?

As far as I'm concerned, having the Eye of Horus on the City's coat of arms is more indicative of the fraternal affiliations of Victoria's establishment than an innocent reference to a "God." There's far more to every inch of that design than meets the eye. Everything there has a very specific, purposeful esoteric meaning that appears innocuous to individuals not initiated in the rites of various organizations that have exerted political control or influence over our affairs.

Hey, as an FYI, did you know that the pathway leading north from the Legislature points directly at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver with Mt Douglas directly between both points? How bizarre is that?

When it comes to city planning, nothing is by mistake, nothing is accidental, it all has far deeper meaning than a laymen is expected to understand. Coat of arms included.

Sorry can't Mike; designs of individual COA's are as unique as the person or orgs themselves. You'd have to understand the motivations and thinking of the individuals involved in the initial design process. Presumably whoever designed the CoV COA included those attributes such as the angels, wreaths etc., which they felt were somehow representative of the city and its history at that time.

Insofar as deliberate (masonic or other 'sinister' organizations such as the Kabbala Schools or Luciferian bodies) design influence on cities and/or nation-states - Washington DC probably being the most oft-cited - I tend not to subscribe to conspiracy theory. Anyone who has ever attended a lodge meeting knows that masons can barely control the proceedings of individual lodges never mind exert control over world affairs, lol. That said certainly many important officials in early Canadian, US and especially European history were masons; and there certainly are masonic influences on both the design and architecture of European, American and yes Victoria(n) city design.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#23 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

Thanks ASE. Are you able to comment on the other symbolism, like the angels, the wreath, the ribbon of blue and white, etc?

As far as I'm concerned, having the Eye of Horus on the City's coat of arms is more indicative of the fraternal affiliations of Victoria's establishment than an innocent reference to a "God." There's far more to every inch of that design than meets the eye. Everything there has a very specific, purposeful esoteric meaning that appears innocuous to individuals not initiated in the rites of various organizations that have exerted political control or influence over our affairs.

When it comes to city planning, nothing is by mistake, nothing is accidental, it all has far deeper meaning than a laymen is expected to understand. Coat of arms included.

Mason Street also lines up with Centennial Square, and the similarity in architecture and location to the Freemason Lodge and City Hall is unmistakable. A walk through Ross Bay Cemetery reveals a lot of Freemasons.

Edited by todd, 20 July 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Of course local hokey lodges have very little control over anything of substance and are more concerned about their dwindling membership or the calibre of their membership, but the big lodges are still comprised of influential men and historically speaking even small lodges were once the meeting places of virtually all founding fathers of our towns and cities.

The designs of many North American cities are attributed to masonic influence, and dismissing what's literally hiding in plain sight as mere conspiracy theory doesn't pass muster when one has studied symbolism.

Going back to Washington for a quick second, while kids are busy calculating out the degrees between city blocks and how many points of a star they can find, consider for a moment that there is far, far more going on in terms of Masonic influences in and around America's capital.

As merely one example of the peculiarities of the layout of the District of Columbia and its area, consider that the Washington Monument (a phallus) is situated between Maryland (name after Mary, Mother of Christ, i.e. the Virgin) and Virginia (i.e, a Virgin). It's pretty fascinating stuff, this symbolism, and how it ties in with biblical references and ancient rites. Once you study it enough you begin to realize what we consider innocuous city layouts, placements of key buildings, parks, names, coats of arms, are anything but unplanned, coincidental symbolism that's mere fodder for conspiracy.

Going back to the City of Victoria COA, it is not just a picture representing the ideas of the men and the times during which is was conceived, it is a proclamation about the influences and affiliations of the founding fathers and establishment of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

I guess I was merely curious if anyone had some insights into the symbolism on the COA. I see a few things that are a little strange when you consider their historic meaning in the context of our COA, but I don't think this is necessarily the place to get into this sort of stuff. Unless there's appetite for this sort of thing? I dunno, I'm a symbolism nut, this sort of stuff is of great interest to me.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Mason Street also lines up with Centennial Square, and the similarity in architecture and location to the Freemason Lodge and City Hall is unmistakable. A walk through Ross Bay Cemetery reveals a lot of Freemasons.

Yes, it absolutely does. That's not a coincidence. Nor is it a coincidence that the side entrance of Victoria's City Hall along Pandora Avenue (aptly named, hey?) has an unlisted municipal address of 666.

Chew on that as you eat your lunch ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Going back to Washington for a quick second, while kids are busy calculating out the degrees between city blocks and how many points of a star they can find, .....

^Who needs Pokémon.

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Of course local hokey lodges have very little control over anything of substance and are more concerned about their dwindling membership or the calibre of their membership, but the big lodges are still comprised of influential men and historically speaking even small lodges were once the meeting places of virtually all founding fathers of our towns and cities.

The designs of many North American cities are attributed to masonic influence, and dismissing what's literally hiding in plain sight as mere conspiracy theory doesn't pass muster when one has studied symbolism.

Going back to Washington for a quick second, while kids are busy calculating out the degrees between city blocks and how many points of a star they can find, consider for a moment that there is far, far more going on in terms of Masonic influences in and around America's capital.

As merely one example of the peculiarities of the layout of the District of Columbia and its area, consider that the Washington Monument (a phallus) is situated between Maryland (name after Mary, Mother of Christ, i.e. the Virgin) and Virginia (i.e, the Virgin). It's pretty fascinating stuff, this symbolism, and how it ties in with biblical references and ancient rites. Once you study it enough you begin to realize what we consider innocuous city layouts, placements of key buildings, parks, names, coats of arms, are anything but unplanned, coincidental symbolism that's mere fodder for conspiracy.

Going back to the City of Victoria COA, it is not just a picture representing the ideas of the men and the times during which is was conceived, it is a proclamation about the influences and affiliations of the founding fathers and establishment of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

I guess I was merely curious if anyone had some insights into the symbolism on the COA. I see a few things that are a little strange when you consider their historic meaning in the context of our COA, but I don't think this is necessarily the place to get into this sort of stuff. Unless there's appetite for this sort of thing? I dunno, I'm a symbolism nut, this sort of stuff is of great interest to me.

...just to be very clear Mike what I am dismissing are the conspiracy theorists - who for the most part have precisely zero idea what they are talking about and are more interested in selling a book or promoting a web site. I think I commented quite clearly that masonic influence purely in terms of "design" is quite evident locally and otherwise.

In terms of "hokey" lodges I think you would be quite surprised at the actual makeup of the multiple lodges which call the Fisgard Street temple their mother lodge. For starters I am not the only VV member who is a mason, there are in fact several posters who are members of the fraternity. On top of which there are many well known political and business personalities sprinkled throughout the various local lodges.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

I understand that, but I am familiar to a degree about the difficulties facing Victoria's lodge. It sorely needs new membership but the interest is simply not there among younger men. Belonging to a secretive fraternity isn't as important to the economic and social wellbeing of a man in modern society like it once was and that has greatly affected the local lodge.

And by hokey I did not mean to imply Victoria, as the lodge is quite storied and has played an extremely important role in the history of this city. My mistake.

Know it all.

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

I understand that, but I am familiar to a degree about the difficulties facing Victoria's lodge. It sorely needs new membership but the interest is simply not there among younger men. Belonging to a secretive fraternity isn't as important to the economic and social wellbeing of a man in modern society like it once was and that has greatly affected the local lodge.

To a degree some of that is true although it depends on the lodge - BTW there is no one "lodge" as you are using the term. There are multiple lodges which all meet at Fisgard Street, seven at last count. Not to mention lodges outside of the city core that meet in their own temples, Saanich Peninsula and Goldstream being but two. Goldstream and Columbia No 1 - the senior lodge in Greater Victoria - are examples of two lodges which are very active and thriving.

One aspect masonry sorely needs to reconsider and embrace is technology and how best to leverage it to the benefit of the fraternity. Overall I would rate their embrace and adoption of even baser aspects, such as email communication (email hardly being cutting edge stuff today), as generally low -> poor. For example when I petitioned for admission several years ago I went to the BC & Yukon Freemasonry site and sent an email to the link provided. Heard nothing back for weeks so I emailed again. Same result. Finally I called an acquaintance who was a member who put me in touch with a senior officer of one of the Fisgard lodges. Turned out the email server for that email address wasn't even monitored, much less live threads being responded to.....

That is being addressed, albeit slowly, with the production of educational videos through YouTube and other channels for example. As mentioned though

the fact is in BC/Yukon membership peaked in about 1964-ish @ around 25,000; although last time I checked it is now in the 15-16,000 range it has remained relatively stable for many years.

Like many others the organization ultimately evolves, learns (sometimes slowly!), grows, and occasionally wanes, but remains quite influential in certain areas, most visibly to the public in terms of its community involvement. The Shriner's Hospitals being a great example. My old lodge used to donate several thousand dollars annually to the Blanshard Court development to send their kids to summer camp, whose parent's otherwise could not afford the expense. Regardless it is a very personal journey and decision for anyone to join up - you don't join Freemasonry to become famous or rich or above all so you can boast to your friends that you're now a member of an illustrious/infamous Secret Society: and if you are expecting to get the keys to the alien mother ship at your first meeting, or the manual for the How-To of World Domination, then you are most definitely signing up for the wrong reasons and at the wrong org....

#30 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Late great Uncle in Chicago was a Freemason, he spoke of basically trades unions within the Freemason where they would meet independently and coordinate exchange business and so forth, including electricians, plumbers, carpenters, doctors, lawyers, police etc., He claimed his Freemason ring got them out of more than a few speeding tickets, need a job as a teacher "no problem". You get any perks like that in Victoria?  

How about the limitations Freemasons place on each other in legal and court proceedings how is that approached these days? Or at least in Victoria?

Edited by todd, 20 July 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

I had been planning to do a post on Victoria Vision about all the civic flags in Greater Victoria - most of them are not great at all.   Colwood is the worst in my opinion and only Langford, Sooke and Sidney have decent flags

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

I had been planning to do a post on Victoria Vision about all the civic flags in Greater Victoria - most of them are not great at all.   Colwood is the worst in my opinion and only Langford, Sooke and Sidney have decent flags

Not sure I would go so far as to say the Colwood flag is the "worst" although it is underwhelming and a bit pedestrian in design to be sure; is that representation of a "castle" part of Royal Roads U?

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

The problem with new flags is committees want to cram as much symbolism as possible into the flag. Multiple stakeholders must be appeased. Does it incorporate our business-friendliness, First Nations Heritage, our beautiful parks, our social inclusiveness, our abundant free parking? And whales--gotta have some whales. And the sun and water. And a boat, or if that's too much, a Jet Ski. No, wait--a paddleboard; that's more environmentally acceptable. And the flag should still look good shrunk down to one centimetre so we can make lapel pins out of it.

This is why the Canadian flag is a work of genius and one of the world's best flags.

Not sure I would go so far as to say the Colwood flag is the "worst" although it is underwhelming and a bit pedestrian in design to be sure; is that representation of a "castle" part of Royal Roads U?

Geez, obviously it represents Colwood mini golf. Know your history! 

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 July 2016 - 12:19 PM.

• Barra and AllseeingEye like this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Check online for some of the designs for the new Canadian flag back in 1965. We are very lucky we got something so simple and all-encompassing.

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Check online for some of the designs for the new Canadian flag back in 1965. We are very lucky we got something so simple and all-encompassing.

Yep Canada could have wound up with this gem, one of several designs ultimately rejected (thankfully!)....

Attached Images

• Canada Flag.png

• Nparker and todd like this

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

--- 

Edited by todd, 20 July 2016 - 05:42 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

Wouldn't the city archives have the documentation behind the coat of arms?

Regarding city planning we surely must have thrown a wrench in the works when the residents refused to accept Topaz park as a tent city, but Helps managed to get us back for that.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

What bollocks. We already have a flag if you actually understand heraldry - unlike our moronic, American-influenced bureaucracy.

The proper flag for Victoria would be this:

victoria_flag.jpg

• Jason-L and thundergun like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#39 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

why do we even need a flag? As the provincial capital, whats wrong with BC's flag.

• Nparker likes this

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Why is there an official and unofficial symbol of Victoria why not just one?

M09353.jpg new-city-of-vic.png

Not that Victoria is the only one to do this.

Edited by todd, 21 July 2016 - 11:15 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users