Photo

New flag for the City of Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

The banner is a logotype, a more contemporary, easier-to-use marker than the more formal seal. Think of the extra costs involved in printing all those colours on the old seal and that it can't be printed clearly at small sizes.

#42 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

So what symbol is actually being considered for change? What is considered the flag of Victoria currently? Or will this be a third symbol/flag?

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

The toga ladies image is the City's official Coat of Arms. Slap it on a blue background and you've got yourself a flag.

I assume this initiative would result in a new flag that is different from the Coat of Arms and the blue logo. So yes, a third symbol.

http://www.victoria..../city-logo.html

#44 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

i like the blue wavy logo just fine.  Just pop that on a flag and call it a day.

• Nparker likes this

#45 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

The toga ladies image is the City's official Coat of Arms. Slap it on a blue background and you've got yourself a flag.

I assume this initiative would result in a new flag that is different from the Coat of Arms and the blue logo. So yes, a third symbol.

http://www.victoria..../city-logo.html

Actually I think they're angels, Victoria seems to have gone up to heaven in the crust, hope that's not foreshadowing symbolism.

M09353.jpg

#46 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

i like the blue wavy logo just fine.  Just pop that on a flag and call it a day.

The blue wavy one selected in 2001 is known as the "V-banner logo" why the extra triangle on the end, only one V in Victoria? 

Attached Images

• new-city-of-vic.png

#47 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

Actually I think they're angels, Victoria seems to have gone up to heaven in the crust, hope that's not foreshadowing symbolism.

Not Angels. Depictions of Victoria, goddess of victory.

"Winged figures, very often in pairs, representing victory and referred to as "victories", were common in Roman official iconography, typically hovering high in a composition, and often filling spaces in spandrels or other gaps in architecture. These represent the spirit of victory rather than the goddess herself. They continued to appear after Christianization of the Empire, and slowly mutated into Christian angels."

https://en.wikipedia...ria_(mythology)

Edited by Danma, 21 July 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

We are named after Victory, so it's quite fitting to have two Victoria's on the crest -- but is it common to see two of the goddesses depicted like that? Yes, there was a queen named Victoria, but there's far more to our City's name than a mere affinity for an old monarch.

Anyhow, I find it very, very bizarre that we have a dove with an olive twig in its beak on the crest. That's some pretty gnarly stuff, and it doesn't mean peace and love, at least not from what I've been lead to believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

We are named after Victory, so it's quite fitting to have two Victoria's on the crest -- but is it common to see two of the goddesses depicted like that? Yes, there was a queen named Victoria, but there's far more to our City's name than a mere affinity for an old monarch.

Anyhow, I find it very, very bizarre that we have a dove with an olive twig in its beak on the crest. That's some pretty gnarly stuff, and it doesn't mean peace and love, at least not from what I've been lead to believe.

Oh, come on Mike it's obvious that was foreshadowing the coming of Vibrant Victoria (VV).

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Danma like this

#50 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

Just hand it over to Mayor Helps. She is very good with bright colours and squiggly lines. Less good with bridges, tent cities and poop disposal.

#51 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

What bollocks. We already have a flag if you actually understand heraldry - unlike our moronic, American-influenced bureaucracy.

The proper flag for Victoria would be this:
victoria_flag.jpg

close, but I think I would turn that 90 degrees counterclockwise & take off the crown ;) sort of like a pennant on a blue background

Edited by amor de cosmos, 21 July 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#52 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

I can't seem to find reference to that anywhere Wikipedia says Victoria BC is named after Queen Victoria, I'm willing to challenge Wikipedia on your word but it's not going to be easy. https://en.wikipedia...ritish_Columbia

• Nparker likes this

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

^If you think Helps is going to push through an initiative for a royal-type flag, then I'm King George III.

• Nparker likes this

#54 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

I think I saw you in Island Blueprint this afternoon. Sorry I forgot to curtsy.

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#55 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

^You're just afraid of his wrath now that there's a possibility he's King George #3.

Edited by todd, 21 July 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

We're named in honour of the queen, but the name is far more multi-dimensional than that.

Just consider that there is no major city named after a monarch or a figurehead in Western Europe or North America by first name only. I mean there might be a couple Henry's put there or Elizabeth's, but they're not major cities.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

We're named in honour of the queen, but the name is far more multi-dimensional than that.

Just consider that there is no major city named after a monarch or a figurehead in Western Europe or North America by first name only. I mean there might be a couple Henry's put there or Elizabeth's, but they're not major cities.

I'm all googled out can you point me in the direction of the cave this is inscribed in?

#58 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

Prince George
Pieta VanDyke

#59 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

Another is Charlottetown. Only a monarch would go by their first name though. Figureheads would go by their surname. Ie. Washington.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

That was a dove? I just assumed it was a seagull ready to crap on the city.

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users