Recommend a Contractor?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Tenants were baffled by the programmable thermostats and so they just left the heat on all day.  We went back to simple on/off. 

:squint: :squint: :squint:

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Tenants were baffled by the programmable thermostats and so they just left the heat on all day.  We went back to simple on/off.

Post Secondary students?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Found a contractor from Saltspring who is moving his business to Victoria, because there is more happening here.  So far he is working out great.  Our house, however is not so great cuz it's 4" lower on one side than the other, and, as we are extending two rooms he will have to replicate the crookedness.  Welcome to Victoria! 

• Mike K. likes this

#24 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hmm, this thread has motivated me to do some research. I just bought a home that has 3 legal suites, and I plan to upgrade the hot water system for the entire building, and add about 200 sq ft to the main residence. Looks like I may want to start the permitting process sooner rather than later. 

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

Hmm, this thread has motivated me to do some research. I just bought a home that has 3 legal suites, and I plan to upgrade the hot water system for the entire building, and add about 200 sq ft to the main residence. Looks like I may want to start the permitting process sooner rather than later. 

Three separate hydro metres and threes separate hot water tanks should do it.

#26 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

Three separate hydro metres and threes separate hot water tanks should do it.

The suites already have separate hydro meters, but they share hot water tanks and a boiler with the main residence. I'm hoping when it comes time to replace the hot water tanks, the current set up may be grandfathered in? It was all done legally with permits in the early 70's. 

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#27 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

Josh, If you can't have separate hot water tanks for each unit and you are paying for it, you might want to consider getting a gas hot-water-on-demand unit.  If there is gas nearby, Fortis will bring it to your home for very little cost, as they are keen to get new customers.  The hot water on demand unit is pricey (about 5000) plus the cost of your gas-fitter, but it may be worth it.  If you call Fortis they will do the math to see if there is a savings or you can use their on-line calculator.  We had to get a 60 gallon tank for our duplex to service both units.  That hot water is cooking away 24 hours a day, and I'm paying for it. 

#28 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

Josh, If you can't have separate hot water tanks for each unit and you are paying for it, you might want to consider getting a gas hot-water-on-demand unit.  If there is gas nearby, Fortis will bring it to your home for very little cost, as they are keen to get new customers.  The hot water on demand unit is pricey (about 5000) plus the cost of your gas-fitter, but it may be worth it.  If you call Fortis they will do the math to see if there is a savings or you can use their on-line calculator.  We had to get a 60 gallon tank for our duplex to service both units.  That hot water is cooking away 24 hours a day, and I'm paying for it. 

I already have gas for the boiler (radiator heat) so switching the electric hot water tanks to gas won't be difficult. Three rental units plus the main residence makes on-demand cost prohibitive, so it's just a matter of replacing the existing electric hot water tanks with a single large capacity gas storage tank. Unfortunately the $1000 Fortis rebate seems to be limited to 55 gallon tanks, and I'd like to go a bit larger than that. 

I think I may have read something about a combined boiler/water tank unit that would make more efficient use of the potential heat lost by the storage tank. 

Edited by JoshRH, 25 August 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#29 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Speaking of contractors can anyone recommend a good gutter cleaning company?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

Speaking of contractors can anyone recommend a good gutter cleaning company?

We've been reasonably happy at our condo with Men in Kilts. http://meninkilts.com/victoria/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#31 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

I can't stand franchises :) ....I get this feeling I am pay 20% premium just for the franchise component.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

Probably.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

I can't stand franchises :) ....I get this feeling I am pay 20% premium just for the franchise component.

I hear these guys are good.

http://friendlygiant.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

I would recommend our guy but he is too busy now!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:34 PM

And the guys who aren't busy...well there's a reason for that. So to get a guy that's good you have to steal him from somebody.

#36 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Need another recommendation: custom cabinetry. Any quality but not 'break the bank' guys/companies?

#37 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Need another recommendation: custom cabinetry. Any quality but not 'break the bank' guys/companies?

I can't speak to the prices, but South Shore Cabinetry does phenomenal work.

• lanforod likes this

#38 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

My in-laws used Swiftsure Cabinetry for their kitchen and it looks awesome.

#39 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Any recommendations on:

(1) fencing company

(2) window and gutter cleaning / small repairs - just saw the response above - Marko - who did you end up using?

Thanks!

Edited by manuel, 16 May 2017 - 04:13 PM.

"I know nothing"

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

FG for window/gutter:

http://friendlygiant.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users