Courthouse Lands Reconstruction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#81 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

But isn't this provincial land?...

It certainly was provincially controlled property regarding SIC and the city enforcing overnight camping rules.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

Ok I see.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Doesn't the Y have daycare? My coworker had her young children minded there over the summer.

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

I think people with kids would choose downtown if there were housing options available. There are very few 3 bed plus homes downtown.
  • Midnightly likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

There are several at Wade but you'll have to pay $675k or more. That's actually not a bad gig if your other option was an $800k bungalow in Fairfield.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Local elementary students will have a say in the development of the playground at the courthouse. More interesting is the info regarding the contamination of the site.

...An estimated 2800 tons of potentially contaminated soil will be removed...The province revealed last month that soil testing done in the wake of tent city's use of the property found contamination reminiscent to a minor gas spill, but with the addition of trace amounts of methamphetamines...

http://www.iheartrad...house-1.2255549

Funny, I don't recall any "Kinder-Morgan" style protests about this entirely preventable contamination.

#87 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Is there a biochemist in the house?

Wouldn't any trace drugs in the soil quickly biodegrade? I understand the meth substances are harmful but under what circumstances would they affect humans or pets? To use an analogy, old drywall tape has asbestos but the only circumstance that would make it dangerous would be if you ripped the tape, releasing the fibers into the air. Just because a substance is harmful doesn't mean it's harmful in outdoors soil is what I suppose I'm getting at. But again, I'm not a biochemist, just a guy that barely passed Science 11.

#88 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Gosh, this forum sometimes.

Maybe people choose to not live with kids downtown because there's no playground anywhere downtown?  I mean, it's just totally obvious.  Kids need safe places to play close to home.  If you have a kid and are considering buying say at 989 Johnson, I don't see where that's going to happen unless you get in a car (sorry, that Mason park doesn't count).  At least this is moderately close.

• tedward likes this

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

I'm confused.

• Bingo likes this

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Are you replying to something from a few weeks ago?

#91 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

Are you replying to something from a few weeks ago?

Yup sorry for the really slow outburst.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

Is there a biochemist in the house?

Chemistry and Biology 11 graduate here.  And Physics 12.  So not much more useful.

But anyway, 2800 tons seems like massive abundance of caution.  But it is what it is I guess.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 J Billings

J Billings
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Local elementary students will have a say in the development of the playground at the courthouse. More interesting is the info regarding the contamination of the site.

Funny, I don't recall any "Kinder-Morgan" style protests about this entirely preventable contamination.

There reason for no protests? I have a theory I'm developing called "PC Rock Paper Scissors." e.g. last summer there were reports of sexual assaults at the courthouse camp. When asked about them on a radio show, the mayor seemed sort of dismissive (I forget the exact quote). Now normally, I suspect she would have expressed great concern about something like that; however, in the game of PC Rock Paper Scissors, homelessness beats sexual assault as a topic of concern. I think the same applies with any site contamination concerns.

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 2 others like this

#94 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Any idea where the contaminated soil from the site is being dumped?

#95 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Any idea where the contaminated soil from the site is being dumped?

Lisa Helps/Ben Isitt's yards?

• 3isenough and pennymurphy2000 like this

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hey now, Isitt's house is already contaminated, it's a former drug house.

• Nparker, 3isenough and pennymurphy2000 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#97 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hey now, Isitt's house is already contaminated, it's a former drug house.

Must be some residuals leaching into the air...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#98 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Lisa Helps/Ben Isitt's yards?

Pre fertilized for their gardens.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

...Isitt's house is already contaminated, it's a former drug house.

And of course it's still contaminated in a sense isn't it?

#100 mortvillemann

mortvillemann
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

a new chapter begins.

Attached Images

• Jan13:17towards cathedral.jpeg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users