APPROVED
Unity Commons
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1303 Fairfield Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Unity Commons is a mixed-use, four-storey rental complex and ground floor commercial development in the City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about Unity Commons on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Unity Commons (Fairfield United Church) | Rentals, commercial | Approved

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,655 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

...it's probably the only time I'll say it, it needs some brick.

I agree, and I am known for my anti-red brick stance.

• Jackerbie likes this

#62 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

I love brick. :)

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,655 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

I love brick. :)

Then you're in the right city.

#64 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

The design has changed again, here are new renderings from the latest iteration submitted to the city on 10 October:

unity1.JPG

unity2.JPG

unity3.JPG

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,655 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

It's getting better.

#66 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

I still think that corner tower projection needs more emphasis! The tower is such a strong architectural feature of the existing church, and it's clear that they're drawing some inspiration from it, but right now it fades into the rest of the building.

• Nparker likes this

#67 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

This is coming to the CotW this coming Thursday; staff are in favour of the development.

#68 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

As part of this approval process the designation of this site in the OCP is being proposed to change to "Large Urban Village":  http://fairfieldcomm...blic-Notice.pdf .

• nerka likes this

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,655 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

As part of this approval process the designation of this site in the OCP is being proposed to change to "Large Urban Village"...

I imagine the neighbours will consider this request a slippery slope to significantly more development in the area and will urge the city to reject it.

...The City is considering an application to amend the Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw for 1303 Fairfield Road to change the urban place designation from Small Urban Village to Large Urban Village. This amendment would only apply to the subject property...

http://fairfieldcomm...blic-Notice.pdf

Have we seen a request to amend an OCP designation in this way to accommodate one property?

Edited by Nparker, 26 February 2018 - 03:21 PM.

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

I imagine the neighbours will consider this request a slippery slope to significantly more development in the area and will urge the city to reject it.

Have we seen a request to amend an OCP designation in this way to accommodate one property?

I'm a "neighbour" (i.e. my home is close enough to the church site that I received the OCP notice in the mail last week) and I'm not planning to urge the city to reject it...

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,655 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

I'm a "neighbour" (i.e. my home is close enough to the church site that I received the OCP notice in the mail last week) and I'm not planning to urge the city to reject it...

I'd like to think you hold the majority opinion, but this is Victoria, where NIMBY-ism has been developed into a fine art.

#72 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

49CF5D47-9F94-4742-A8AE-03B0AD217AD7.jpeg

These posters have gone up on poles throughout the neighbourhood...

I'm actually a big fan of historic preservation and adaptive reuse of older structures, but the poster critiques the pricing of the planned market rentals in the proposed Unity Commons.  The irony is that an adaptive reuse of the existing building would be so expensive that the units would likely need to be luxury condos to cover the cost of the renovation...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 12 March 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#73 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

^ I'm curious if the poster is from a member of the church who doesn't like the direction their congregation is going, or just someone in the community who enjoys the church being there but has no stake in it.

#74 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Hmm. Could Sid Tafler's fingerprints be on this one?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#75 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

faifieldsayno.jpg

These signs have started going up in Fairfield and they reference the new website http://www.fairfieldsfuture.ca .  The site itself mentions 'concerned citizens' but does not actually identify a leader/committee behind the 'concern'.

This text is on the site:

The Proposed Rezoning of 1303 Fairfield to Large Urban Village Will Mean:

- 4 storeys at the 5 Corners at Moss and Fairfield Rd.
- Demolition of historic buildings
- No commitment to creating affordable, family-friendly housing
- Increased density in excess of the Official Community Plan and Fairfield Draft Neighbourhood Plan

I should note, however, that the implied goals of the site organizers are contradictory:  to both retain the existing historic structure *and* create "affordable, family-friendly housing" would be virtually impossible without a massive cash infusion from a third party.  The building needs substantial seismic upgrading and, whilst it would be cool to see an adaptive reuse here, the cost of a 'loft conversion' would require the units to be aimed at the higher end of the market and not 'affordable' at all. 

#76 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,327 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

'affordable, family-friendly' is not a part of this development at all, whether is a restoration or goes in as proposed with smallish market rental apartments. These aren't three bedroom apartments with capped rental rates.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Fairfield/Gonzalez is a rapidly aging neighbourhood and young families are being squeezed out of the community. Enrolment decline at Margaret Jenkins is approaching 10% despite the fact that our region is experiencing an increase in children and school boards are expanding educational spaces.

The "family-friendly housing" argument is being posited to oppose this development knowing that the Unity project is comprised of small to medium-sized apartments. By infusing the "family-friendly" narrative into the debate challenges the developer to explain why there are no provisions for three-bedroom plus-den homes at $900/month.

Fairfield is in desperate need of a greater balance of housing and these groups are working hard to stop it from happening.

• Nparker, lanforod, grantpalin and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,327 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

There would be lots of demand for 3bd+ den 900/mo (or even 1500/mo) rentals. Until these groups pony up the cash to allow developers to actually make a profit building those, they need to shut-up.

Edited by lanforod, 15 May 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#79 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

Fairfield/Gonzalez is a rapidly aging neighbourhood and young families are being squeezed out of the community. Enrolment decline at Margaret Jenkins is approaching 10% despite the fact that our region is experiencing an increase in children and school boards are expanding educational spaces.

The "family-friendly housing" argument is being posited to oppose this development knowing that the Unity project is comprised of small to medium-sized apartments. By infusing the "family-friendly" narrative into the debate challenges the developer to explain why there are no provisions for three-bedroom plus-den homes at $900/month.

Fairfield is in desperate need of a greater balance of housing and these groups are working hard to stop it from happening.

Yup. In this case, the argument could be made that building smaller apartments will potentially free up the "family friendly housing" currently occupied by empty nest seniors.

#80 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

These signs have started going up in Fairfield and they reference the new website http://www.fairfieldsfuture.ca .  The site itself mentions 'concerned citizens' but does not actually identify a leader/committee behind the 'concern'.

God, I am so tempted to join the group as a mole.  I own a heritage-like fourplex a stone's throw from here and a massive rental operation on my doorstep impacts my own business.  Notwithstanding, I am still For redeveloping the site.  That said, I can't really say that I recognize the legitimacy of designating that one corner of the Five Corners small urban village as a Large Urban Village.  It seems like they're gaming the system and I've never seen this done before.  Is it just getting creative with zoning & the OCP?  Why not just spot zone the damn thing and stop confusing the discussion; though, I'm open to being persuaded that the Large Urban Village designation is the right move for this site.

• aastra likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users