Royal visit to Victoria, September 2016

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#81 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Anyone know what they arrive in?

The entourage will then head to the legislature for a welcoming ceremony, starting about 5 p.m.

“There will likely be heightened security. They don’t publicize routes,” said Kenneth Christie, head of human security and peacebuilding studies at Royal Roads University.

It’s unlikely they’d be travelling in an easily identifiable car, such as a Rolls-Royce. It would be more likely a discreet armoured Range Rover, or something like that, he said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.P9dISvdJ.dpuf

#82 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

What a waste of carpet

No red carpet, no blue fence, no one there.

IMG_4911.jpg

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

It seems the folks on the Celebrity Infinity (one of two Celebrity ships on which I've sailed) are going to have the best opportunity to get caught up in the royal mayhem today.

infinity.JPG

#84 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

Good luck trying to get out of James Bay.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

It seems the folks on the Celebrity Infinity (one of two Celebrity ships on which I've sailed) are going to have the best opportunity to get caught up in the royal mayhem today.

infinity.JPG

I think they will be fine.  The cruise shuttle goes around it all, and otherwise they will just walk into it.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

I think they will be fine.  The cruise shuttle goes around it all, and otherwise they will just walk into it.  

paperclip

• Nparker likes this

#87 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

The ROI will more than cover any costs. The exposure to Victoria will be unprecedented, this is the first trip for the babies, that alone will generate global interest.

I'm not a fan of the royals but am a fan of the institution and respect the devotion of the Queen and the example she sets.I think William and Harry are good role models for our younger generation. You cant call Harry a leech in any respect and there isnt an arrogant bone in either of them. Living in a goldfish bowl since the day you were born is more a curse than a luxury.

Even when he is not doing official public duty he works with air ambulance and donates 100% of his wage to charity. I dont know what more they could do to appease the naysayers

Still waiting for the ROI from our Vancouver Olympics exposure!

#88 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

Snapped a quick pic of the parliament and the new James bay development from the air this afternoon around 1315h. Surprisingly there were no airspace restrictions over downtown.
http://imgur.com/MBLBmn2
Edit: slightly better shot of the red carpet from the air. http://imgur.com/tV3Wf2r

Edited by SamCB, 24 September 2016 - 01:57 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

Still waiting for the ROI from our Vancouver Olympics exposure!

It's there.  Thousands of foreign real estate buyers every month.  

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

Cool photo Sam. Crowds still look a little sparse at the legislature. What time was this pic taken?

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Cool photo Sam. Crowds still look a little sparse at the legislature. What time was this pic taken?

Webcam, hard to tell though...

http://royalbcmuseum...channel/web-cam

Someone just posted to say the thing might be an hour behind schedule.  No confirmation of that.

#92 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

The Royals do not trademark themselves.  You are free to make all the money you want off them by making t-shirts, dolls, posters etc.  I think that's great.

That said watching Global morning news today apparently if you produce something considered in poor taste, or not in keeping with the 'correct' image - whatever that may be - you are notified by "the Palace" that you'e skated offside and are treading in murky waters, lol. No idea what if anything "the Palace" can do about it but there you go. The most gauche and tasteless 'royal' trinket trinket shown on the report? A vacuum cleaner with Bill and Kate's image suitably emblazoned on the body of the unit.....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Check out the flag at the Legislature.

Royal-Flag-legislature.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

Check out the flag at the Legislature.

All I need is 10 more panorama photos to determine your location.

• Mike K. likes this

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

Folks are lining Rockland near Government House, but I'm not sure they will see anything except tinted windows of cars that may or may not being carrying who they hope.

#96 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Still waiting...

29791868052_b6cd0219a4_h.jpg

• sebberry likes this

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

The took the long route from Govt. House.  Dallas Rd.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

Makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Here they are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlmUGZLgz2M

Know it all.

#100 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

Global reported there was some dodgy looking guy who had bear spray and was arrested just before they arrived.  It was thought this delayed their arrival.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users