Photo

Man Down!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

On my way to work last week, near the corner of Jacklin and Sooke Roads I saw a man down on all fours in obvious medical distress. A woman had stopped and was attending to him. I pulled over to offer help, as did a few other vehicles. Someone called 911, someone grabbed a blanket from their vehicle and while we waited several other folks stopped to see if there was something they could do. As it turned out, the situation was not that serious. Sadly, I’m sure I would have been a lot less inclined to put myself in the middle of that situation had it occurred in downtown Victoria. I don’t mean that as a judgement on anyone’s worth or value but rather as being cautious for my own safety. I’ve thought about it a lot in the past few days and it bothers me that I would probably hold back, waiting for someone else to jump in first. Given the current state of affairs in Victoria, I can imagine it would be possible for someone to lay down and die on the sidewalk and it could be a long time before anyone noticed. That is one sad, sober thought.

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

that's the bystander paradox. the likelihood of someone doing something is inversely proportional to the number of people present. in other words when one is high the other is low.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

There was a tv program that focused on something similar but reversed ideal. They staged an accidental dropping of a $20 bill. If the area had a number of people around, the likelihood of it being picked up and returned was higher than if no one was around.

In fairness though to Langford Rat's post, I think he is feeling that he would be less likely to assist in the "downtown" area for reasons other than the volume of bystanders. Perhaps he is experiencing some sort of helper's remorse where he is happy about being helpful during the recent incident but sad about knowing that he might not provide the same assistance in a downtown setting where the dynamics of the pedestrian population might play a roll in his sense of compassion.
  • LJ likes this

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

that's the bystander paradox. the likelihood of someone doing something is inversely proportional to the number of people present. in other words when one is high the other is low.

It could be a gut feeling that is in play, because if it were four guys standing around another guy lying on the ground, would a lone woman venture over see if help was needed.

Probably not, but if it were four women with another woman on the ground would a lone male offer help. Perhaps.

Maybe it it is a safety issue or a fight or flight response that kicks into gear.

#5 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

Seeing someone starfished on the ground is a pretty good indication , in my neighbourhood, that a person needs some help. Downtown, that wouldn’t be my first thought.  They may just be sleeping, they may be passed out drunk, they could be some crackhead who stabs me in the eye with a broken bottle when I attempt to roll them over, they could be bait and I get ragdolled from behind by their homies when I kneel down to help. I am not proud of the fact that I wouldn’t just spring into action. It bothers me to think that my hesitation or reluctance to get involved could result in someone’s failure to survive…but that’s the new reality. I wasn’t that cynical a few years ago. Maybe it’s not Victoria….maybe I‘m just getting old and jaded.

• LJ and Midnightly like this

#6 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Depends on the look of the person. I mean I'd keep my distance from a vagrant. Might get knifed forget that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users