William Head on Stage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

William Head on Stage has announced its 2016 performance schedule for Here: A Captive Odyssey 

October: 7th, 8th,14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, Oct 27th, 28th, 29th
November: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 2016.
Showtimes: 730PM

Link: http://whonstage.weebly.com/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

My friend has gone to some of these shows,  says they are actually quite good.  They have little else to do but rehearse and put a lot of effort into it.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Do they still make the inmates use that sawmill equipment out there or what's the deal with that? It looked still semi active the last I saw it.

#4 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't say they 'make them' use it as much as encourage them and provide tools for them to do woodworking crafts which are sold at the shows.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,579 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Had the opportunity to check out WHoS this afternoon as my wife got some tickets from the WS Chamber of Commerce; I was really very impressed with the theatre setup, the play itself which featured stunning costumes - all hand made by the inmates. The craft-work in the ante-room to the seating area, made by the inmates, is extensive and of generally high quality. There are some talented people out there at that institution. I guess some of them have plenty of time to become proficient...

Spoke to a couple of the inmates who act as "interpretive staff' for visitors and who function to explain the background of the various carved and hand-created pieces which range from guitars to jewelry and towel boxes, all of which are for sale. The theatre itself has some serious top end gear in terms of staging and pot lights as well as a skookum sound system. The inmates I spoke to were very open and candid about how long and why they were there in the first place. The production lasted for about 90 minutes and was well done and quite entertaining.

As its a minimum security facility it was no surprise I guess as we were leaving that the deputy warden mentioned that the guard towers are no longer manned, and that in fact within a year both they and the two tier fence system at the entrance of the prison will be eliminated altogether.

• todd likes this

#6 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:54 AM

William Head On Stage joins podcast community

JUNE 12, 2021

dark-traveller.jpg
Dark Traveller by William Head on Stage and SNAFU Society of Unexpected Spectacles.

William Head On Stage, Canada’s longest-running prison theatre company, has made several groundbreaking developments during its 40-year journey from inside William Head Institution.

Another innovative step forward is underway with the theatre company’s recent foray into podcasting. Dark Traveller, a co-production with Victoria’s SNAFU theatre company, which has co-produced the prison’s theatre program since 2010, is said to be the first podcast series created by incarcerated artists in Canada.

The inaugural 45-minute episode, recorded inside the minimum-security federal correctional institution, was released this month on platforms such as Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts. Another episode arrived this week, with the final entry in the series scheduled to drop on June 16.

• todd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users