Photo

9/11 anniversary

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,430 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

The attacks seemed to come out of the blue, literally and figuratively. But al Qaeda was in the news constantly that year, all the signs were there.

The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 24 June 2001: A12.

"WASHINGTON -- All U.S. navy ships in the Persian Gulf were ordered to sea this weekend after the Pentagon received "credible information regarding an imminent terrorist threat."

The U.S. government warned American citizens around the world of threats from terrorists.

It is believed the threats came from the Osama bin Laden terrorist group, which is suspected in the suicide bomb attack last fall that crippled the destroyer USS Cole and killed 17 sailors.

The order moved the state of alert for U.S. armed forces in the Mideast up to "Threat Con Delta" -- its highest level -- and resulted in troops being pulled out of Jordan and ships out of Bahrain.
[...]
Of greater concern than responsibility for [the USS Cole] attack is the strong suggestion that al-Qaeda, as bin Laden's group is called, is about to embark on a new offensive. In the video, injured Muslims are shown in Chechnya, Iraq, Lebanon, Indonesia and Kashmir. Bin Laden appeals to his brethren living in countries that are "allied to Jews and Christians" to join his fighters and prepare a "holy war"."

Where you you that day?

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

I was working alone near a jobsite, when the first radio report came in that "a commuter plane has hit...".  Then went into the office and all my co-workers that could, and I decided to cancel our appointments and take the day off and we went and watched it all at the Shark Club.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

I was waking up to go to work, turned the TV on, walked to the kitchen, turned on the coffee, looked at TV on way to shower, in a sleep fog, thought this is one f@cked movie trailer...

Edited by sdwright.vic, 11 September 2016 - 07:01 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:36 AM

At home, listening to CBC Radio while I got ready for work. When I realized what I was hearing, my husband and I sat on the living room couch, just listening. Some time passed before it occurred to us to turn on the television. We both went into work on time, but it was a strange, horrible day.

#5 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

That morning my mom and I were riding the #27 bus, she was going to work at RJH and I was going to Camosun Int. Someone got on the bus and started talking about something that had happened, but neither of us could catch on. I went about my day, and didn't learn about what had happened until after I got home later that day.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,430 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

I slept through most of it. I woke up and flipped on CNN and before the tube even warmed up I could tell by the tone of voice that something big was happening. Flight 93 hadn't crashed by this point. I was transfixed by the television. My uncle phoned and wanted to go for coffee. I admonished him for not calling earlier--I missed the biggest catastrophic event of my generation. I left the house because there wasn't any useful information coming from the TV and you can only watch those replays so many times.

I met my uncle for coffee downtown and we couldn't get into the Starbucks at Government and Yates because all Starbucks were all closed by head office. I didn't notice any other stores or franchise operations that closed. We went across the street for coffee and talked about what had happened so far. I went back home and watched more TV. I walked over to the library's skyscraper section and looked at books on the World Trade Centre.

I grew up in awe of the WTC. I had the King Kong movie poster in my bedroom and I read the facts about it in the Guinness Book of Records. When I visited New York in 1996 I visited the WTC courtyard. This was three years after the initial bombing and there was a security lineup to enter the buildings. I didn't have much time so I passed on doing the tour and vowed to visit the towers properly the next time I was in New York and had more time.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,057 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

I was on day one of vacation and was awakened abruptly by a phone call from my dad; spent most of the morning watching CNN like many others.

Many families were touched by some aspect of "someone was watching over me"; the attached pic is my sister on a business trip to NYC having breakfast at Windows on the World in the WTC north tower on floors 106-7, exactly one year before 9/11. She is sitting center-right looking at the camera.

On 9/11 itself coincidentally she had several top producing brokers from her firm in NYC who were also supposed to meet for breakfast at WOTW. They survived only because their flight was late arriving in NYC the night before so they most fortuitously skipped breakfast and went straight to their conference, and in so doing unknowingly saved their lives.....

Attached Images

• WWW.jpg

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

I was kitchen manager at Chandlers restaurant at the time. Went into work later that morning to find we were all getting laid off.

The owner was a corporate lawyer in Ottawa who also owned a business oriented 3 star hotel and restaurant near enough to parliament hill. He saw his hotel business vanish that morning, and feared the worst for his operations on the west coast as well so had the knee jerk reaction to shutter things until he figured out which end was up.

Chandlers was probably a money pit in the winter anyways.

When he finally reopened I had moved on. It was the only time I was ever on EI, and it was glorious. I had maxed out my contributions, so the payout was good.

Matt.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:14 AM

I slept through most of it. 

Get 'em outta here!!!

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,404 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

I was at home getting ready for work. My grandmother was in her bedroom watching the TV. Being from New York, she was devistated by what she was watching. I phone work and said I was going to be late. They told me to hurry up :whyme:

I'm reading on other forums plenty of posts where people lost many coworkers in the attacks. Very sad.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,806 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

...I'm reading on other forums plenty of posts where people lost many coworkers in the attacks. Very sad.

Visiting the memorial at ground zero was a very emotional experience for me, especially when I saw things like small stuffed animals left near the names of the children (some unborn) who died as a result of the attacks.

#12 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

On my honeymoon in Tofino, staying at Middlebeach Lodge. We had just come in from a morning walk on the beach and the front desk clerk asked us in a panic if we were flying out that day, because planes were falling out of the sky. There are no TVs in the hotel rooms, and only a small TV lounge, it was jam packed when we went to check out what was happening. There happened to be an AA pilot staying at the resort at the time, such an eerie, heavy silence in the room as we watched the second plane hit. My uncle was to be at the WTC for meetings that day, but his flight was delayed out of Montreal.

I was in NY in August with work for MacWorld just a couple of weeks before 9/11, I took the subway to the towers with my coworkers and we did go to the top. The elevator ride was something else, didn't feel like an elevator ride because it was just too long. The building was swaying ever so slightly, but what a view, sunset over Central Park, 5th Ave.... The Hudson River. Something I will never forget.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#13 todd

todd
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

IMG_267412.jpg

IMG_267722.jpg

IMG_268313.jpg

IMG_268612.jpg

IMG_266912.jpg

IMG_265612.jpg

• Nparker and Wayne like this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,042 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Thanks, todd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,806 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

I was at the 9/11 Memorial just after it opened 8 years ago. I found it very moving.

• Wayne and Victoria Watcher like this

#16 Wayne

Wayne
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Thank you VV for remembering. 

I heard an announcer on American radio today say;

"Never forget, Never forgive".  It still resonates almost 20 years later as powerful.

#17 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

Thank you VV for remembering.

I heard an announcer on American radio today say;

"Never forget, Never forgive". It still resonates almost 20 years later as powerful.

Matthew 6:14-15

#18 RFS

RFS
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

One of the most inspiring people from that day, Todd beamer

Attached Images

• a4e3a0c89d5360cd5e698b0195500fb4.jpg

• todd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users