Anyone rent a Winnebago?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

Getting ready to head out to the San Juan River mid next month for our annual boys "catch the northern run" coho trip. Its a complete gong show when this run is strong; personally I've never seen salmon on any run anywhere on the coast as aggressive and active as this river. Last time out I hooked into six of them in about 5 hours. I'll try to get and post a video clip if the action is as intense as previous years.

This time however rather than camping - we're all getting older and frankly grumpier :) - one of the guys suggested renting a couple of Winnebago's for the 3 nights. Has anyone on VV done this and if so from whom did you rent and what is/was the ballpark cost? We'd have the units for 2 days and nights returning them ~ mid-day on the third day. Presume therefore we'd be charged for 3 full days......

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

First up, old-timer.  They are called RVs now.

• Jill likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

First up, old-timer.  They are called RVs now.

Meh, the guy who suggested it called it a Winnebego so that's the story and I'm sticking with it.....and he's 5 years younger than me. Actually I think he really does want to rent an actual Winnebego because he's considering buying one. But sure lets go with RV; oh and it needs to sleep 3 people as there are six of us and all of our gear going.....

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Don't tell the owner you are using their RV for a fish cannery though.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Don't tell the owner you are using their RV for a fish cannery though.

Actually we're mostly catch and release; its all about getting outdoors hanging out and the sport of it for us. Last time out I kept 1/6 fish. In the event we do likewise this time I'm sure it'll hit the bbq way before it gets anywhere near the RV. But I hear you..... :)

• Bingo likes this

#6 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

Check out UsedVic, lots of ads on there for RVs for rent. If you go through an RV place, it's usually $$$. Triangle RV has a motorhome available for rent, Buccaneer has one too maybe (I think that's what they're called), and there's a guy that has his own private business RV Rent Victoria I think?
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Check out UsedVic, lots of ads on there for RVs for rent. If you go through an RV place, it's usually $$$. Triangle RV has a motorhome available for rent, Buccaneer has one too maybe (I think that's what they're called), and there's a guy that has his own private business RV Rent Victoria I think?

That's a good idea never thought of them, thanks 3isenough....

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

That's a good idea never thought of them, thanks 3isenough....

Chartering the Hippo bus would allow you to get to your favourite fishing beach by sea, do a little trawling on the way until you enter the the river, and then just drive up onto some deserted beach and set up camp.

• AllseeingEye, lanforod and 3isenough like this

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

http://www.rvrentvictoria.com is one local co.

Typically, rentals of RVs include 100 km / day. You're probably okay, may pay a little extra if you go over 300 km, which Google maps tells me you might.

If you have all the extra gear, don't buy the extra packages usually available (chairs, bedding). Just bring your own.

If you need a genset, that's usually extra cost. Do you need one? Well, do you want lights - house batteries may last 3 days if you just use lights, depending on if they are LED or not.

Sleeping 3 is fine. Most have a double bed, plus a queen bed over the driver (class c). Dinette converts to a bed (tight for an adult, but okay if sleeping at an angle. If big enough to have a sofa, that will convert to a bed too.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

http://www.rvrentvictoria.com is one local co.

Typically, rentals of RVs include 100 km / day. You're probably okay, may pay a little extra if you go over 300 km, which Google maps tells me you might.

If you have all the extra gear, don't buy the extra packages usually available (chairs, bedding). Just bring your own.

If you need a genset, that's usually extra cost. Do you need one? Well, do you want lights - house batteries may last 3 days if you just use lights, depending on if they are LED or not.

Sleeping 3 is fine. Most have a double bed, plus a queen bed over the driver (class c). Dinette converts to a bed (tight for an adult, but okay if sleeping at an angle. If big enough to have a sofa, that will convert to a bed too.

If memory serves I think its about 120km +/- to Pt Renfrew so it'll be close to be sure. Thanks for the insight into the sleeping capabilities, that is good to know. Otherwise we're all outdoor/camping veterans and have enough gear to open our own store including at least 3 gens and various types of nighttime lighting apparatus. At last count between the four of us I think we have something like 27 rods and and an average of 5 reels each - so "gear" we won't lack, lol.

• lanforod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users