Photo

Hwy 17 (Pat Bay Hwy) Planning Study - MOTI/Urban Systems

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Nothing like being quoted out of context.

Perhaps fix yourself a nice Geritol toddy and let this one go until at least after the holidays.

#22 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Yes and it's time to put that 35 year old failure behind us and make the Pat Bay Highway safer for thousands of other people who use that road.

I seem to remember the NDP offered to freeway the Pat Bay from Victoria to the ferries but it was turned down to prevent us from looking like LA ...

#23 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

Fast-Lane Fix
Saanich Peninsula Residents Now Support Upgrading of Pat Bay Highway, But Who Is Going To Pay For It?

Malcolm Curtis

Victoria Times Colonist

Pat Bay Highway at Beacon Avenue: Sidney council to discuss proposed changes today.

A dozen years ago the idea of turning the Pat Bay Highway into a freeway was hotly opposed by Saanich Peninsula residents.

These days the mood has swung in reverse. As concerns mount over the safety of the clogged highway, support is gathering for more interchanges to
replace the intersections controlled with lights or stop signs.

In fact, municipal councils now appear to back the elimination of traffic
lights along Highway 17 that former Social Credit transportation minister
Rita Johnston had planned but was forced to abandon due to the opposition in 1990.

© Copyright 2002 Victoria Times Colonist

[...]

EDIT: Please only quote the first couple paragraphs of copyrighted material and provide a link to the original source. Thank you.- sebberry

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

And now, 15 years later, with the exception of "Mr. McTavish's Wild Ride" the PBH is still stuck in the usual CRD "big plan-small change" limbo.

#25 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

This is an example of the Shelbourne Street issue, asking the people that live on it now "what they want to see it as" ... not planning for what it should be in twenty years which is one of the most important traffic arteries in the city. In twenty years they will probably have to convert it to what they should do now, upgrade it not downgrade it ... but what do I know!

• Nparker likes this

#26 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

PS, I wish I could ask how I would like to see my street because I would say I want it lined with tangerine trees and cellophane flowers of yellow and green towering over my head ... and

newspaper taxies to wisk me downtown ...

• Nparker and RFS like this

#27 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

This is an example of the Shelbourne Street issue, asking the people that live on it now "what they want to see it as" ... not planning for what it should be in twenty years which is one of the most important traffic arteries in the city. In twenty years they will probably have to convert it to what they should do now, upgrade it not downgrade it ... but what do I know!

Define "upgrade" and "downgrade". In my view the proposed plan is an upgrade. I don't think it is in yours (just guessing from your comment, I could be wrong).

The bigger problem is subjective terminology - my upgrade is your downgrade.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

In part...

Fast-Lane Fix

Saanich Peninsula Residents Now Support Upgrading of Pat Bay Highway, But Who Is Going To Pay For It?

Malcolm Curtis
Victoria Times Colonist

"Views have changed considerably," said Wayne Hunter, Central Saanich mayor.

"All you have to do is go on that highway to see how dangerous it is."
Increased traffic from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal, and development of
industrial parks in Central Saanich and Sidney, plus general population
growth in the capital region are overloading the highway at peak periods.
More than 50,000 vehicles use the highway daily.
The result, said Hunter, is a high rate of accidents at such intersections
as Keating Cross Road, which leads to Butchart Gardens, the tourist
attraction, and McTavish Road, the turnoff for Victoria's airport.
As interim measures, Earth Tech recommends such steps as adjusting the
timing of traffic lights on the highway to ensure smoother traffic flow.

© Copyright 2002 Victoria Times Colonist

Right! and still no solution for Keating and the Pat Bay Highway after all those years.

A interim solution that is affordable until all of those interchanges are built, is to eliminate the left turn onto Keating,

and adjust the timing of the lights, especially the one that is needed at Tanner Road and the highway.

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Define "upgrade" and "downgrade". In my view the proposed plan is an upgrade. I don't think it is in yours (just guessing from your comment, I could be wrong).

There is another thread for the Shelbourne Corridor discussion here. http://vibrantvictor...4?hl=shelbourne

#30 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Downgrade = one lane in each direction with bike lanes 

Ugrade = Veterans Memorial Parkway style from the Pat Bay Highway and Sayward to town, along Shelbourne to Pandora to Esquimalt Road and on along to the new bridge conecting Esquimalt Road with Goldstream Ave.

Edited by 2F2R, 24 December 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#31 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Downgrade = one lane in each direction with bike lanes 

Ugrade = Veterans Memorial Parkway style from the Pat Bay Highway and Sayward to town, along Shelbourne to Pandora to Esquimalt Road and on along to the new bridge conecting Esquimalt Road with Goldstream Ave.

And I think that (or massive new interchanges to keep it on topic) are downgrades for a whole host of reasons. Which is the problem with the language being used. They are value statements and our values differ.

• 2F2R likes this

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

And I think that (or massive new interchanges to keep it on topic) are downgrades for a whole host of reasons. Which is the problem with the language being used. They are value statements and our values differ.

I agree. I can't see it happening to have costly interchanges on the Pat Bay Highway from Royal Oak all the way to Sidney.

What we need is more traffic lights at intersections and have them controlled to give priority to traffic that has just been offloaded from Tsawwassen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users