Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3843 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

Was this communicated at a recent meeting, AGINO?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

Yes. BC Housing drpped this bomb to some neighbours at a meeting on Monday. Once again, no consultation. Apparently there was no time for that....again.

#243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

Oh oh. Were any timelines on the table? Presumably to convert a space used as storage into a suitable homeless shelter would require quite a bit of work and some time. Unless, of course, work has already (quietly) begun.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#244 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Yes. BC Housing drpped this bomb to some neighbours at a meeting on Monday. Once again, no consultation. Apparently there was no time for that....again.

There are public hearings and consultations out the yin-yang when a developer proposes an extra meter of height on a project, but you can create a facility for the hardest to house behind everyone's back and nary a peep is heard.  :mad:

• Daveyboy, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#245 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

3 needles on the grounds of the Selkirk Montessori Elementary school path this morning.........

#246 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

3 needles on the grounds of the Selkirk Montessori Elementary school path this morning...

They should start a competition with Christ Church Cathedral School to see which students can collect the most needles!

#247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

Presumably to convert a space used as storage into a suitable homeless shelter would require quite a bit of work and some time. Unless, of course, work has already (quietly) begun.

If they use the nightclub space down there they already have a set of washrooms.  I think when you have people sleeping on mats in a more or less an open room, you do not have to do that much in renovations.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#248 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

3 needles on the grounds of the Selkirk Montessori Elementary school path this morning.........

Which path?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#249 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Burnside/Gorge Community Association organized a mural painting to beautify the area.  A group of artists and local residents worked on July 22 and 23 and had substantially finished the mural located beside the Galloping Goose close to the Gorge bridge.  A person has vandalized the nearly completed mural work with spray paint less than 2 days after the event.

We should introduce the 800 Johnson shooter and the spraypaint vandal - then the shooter has a more difficult target (and more satisfaction once they score a hit) the Johnson street neighbours won't have to worry about their windows, and we might get rid of our vandalism problem...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#250 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

There are public hearings and consultations out the yin-yang when a developer proposes an extra meter of height on a project, but you can create a facility for the hardest to house behind everyone's back and nary a peep is heard. :mad:

I wonder how Spoons, the restaurant's owners feel about this. They were very positive when the housing was announced.

#251 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

I wonder how Spoons, the restaurant's owners feel about this. They were very positive when the housing was announced.

How Spoons possibly thought that a low-barrier shelter would be a boon to their business is beyond me.

• pennymurphy2000 and speshalkinca like this

#252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

How Spoons possibly thought that a low-barrier shelter would be a boon to their business is beyond me.

My guess is that they will be paid to cook the 3 squares a day the shelter residents receive.

#253 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

My guess is that they will be paid to cook the 3 squares a day the shelter residents receive.

So they are trading in a legitimate business to become an institutional kitchen. The dream of every restaurateur.  :whyme:

• Matt R. likes this

#254 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Pretty much!

Matt.

#255 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

Wouldn't that indicate that this kind of housing is incompatible with normal (aka non taxpayer funded) businesses or neighbourhood life?

#256 zenbunny

zenbunny
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:10 AM

https://www.reddit.c...d_neighbouring/

#257 speshalkinca

speshalkinca
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:40 AM

Missed this thread when it first started, but it is related to a question I have. Is there a way to find out where all the current shelters, drop-in places, barrier housing, etc., etc. are located in Victoria. I am interested in seeing them all 'on a map' so to speak. Please know I am NOT trying to stir anything up! It relates to comments I'm seeing on a variety of sites that have me thinking (as many others are) about the following: Aren't we getting a rather high concentration of 'services' all in the downtown core and nearby? Thanks for reading.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to VV!

Did we make a map here at some point? Does anyone remember? I thought we did?

Know it all.

#259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

...Aren't we getting a rather high concentration of 'services' all in the downtown core and nearby?...

In a word, yes. The Douglas @ Burnside to Douglas @ Finlayson corridor is not far behind.  :whyme:

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#260 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Missed this thread when it first started, but it is related to a question I have. Is there a way to find out where all the current shelters, drop-in places, barrier housing, etc., etc. are located in Victoria. I am interested in seeing them all 'on a map' so to speak. Please know I am NOT trying to stir anything up! It relates to comments I'm seeing on a variety of sites that have me thinking (as many others are) about the following: Aren't we getting a rather high concentration of 'services' all in the downtown core and nearby? Thanks for reading.

This is a good start:

http://victoriahomel...nity-resources/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users