Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#281 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Soon after, there was an overdose at the AVI centre on Johnson Street and the paramedics responding, “said that it was actually much more than that and that many of the calls were from private residences,” Hobbs said. The person survived the overdose.

She posted the information online to remind the community about safer drug use and noted that the week when social-assistance cheques are issued can also be a busy time of the month for overdoses.

No kidding eh?  Especially since we also just gave everyone an extra $100.

So I was in the washroom at a bar I hang at earlier this week. Guy in the stall beside me was clearly doing coke. No big deal, seen/heard it a million times, I used to help run a bar. I'm not opposed to drug use.

I washed my hands slowly... and waited for him to come out.

I said "hey guy - I'm certainly not one to preach, but you know guys are dying from that, right? Guys that just think they are doing coke but get some fentanyl in it. Guys that are just doing it recreationally, like you are. It's simply not safe, no matter where you are buying it from."

He was pretty indifferent to my thoughts. Shrugged me off.

I dunno. Seems crazy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#282 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

I am shocked at how popular recreational cocaine use is in my age group! Maybe it's the income level, but back in the day when I was doing drugs it was much, much less common.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

I know I have said this before, but as a society we have decided it's acceptable to advise people with lung cancer to stop smoking; those with cirrhosis of the liver to stop consuming alcohol, but if you abuse drugs, especially illicit street drugs, you are told go ahead, "just do it safely".  I appreciate that the goal is to destigmatize and reduce the shame around drug use (although we do the opposite when the drug is tobacco), believing it will help people, but I fail to see that compassionately advising those who overdose to seek help and stop using will make things worse.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#284 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

For the second day in a row at around the same time, there's been a significant light show (ambulances etc.) at Our Place.

It's now 3 days in a row at almost exactly the same time. Do people schedule a time to OD?

#285 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I know I have said this before, but as a society we have decided it's acceptable to advise people with lung cancer to stop smoking; those with cirrhosis of the liver to stop consuming alcohol, but if you abuse drugs, especially illicit street drugs, you are told go ahead, "just do it safely". I appreciate that the goal is to destigmatize and reduce the shame around drug use (although we do the opposite when the drug is tobacco), believing it will help people, but I fail to see that compassionately advising those who overdose to seek help and stop using will make things worse.

It's possibly condescending; like you couldn't possibly suggest they not do it because they will feel stressed or bad and want to use more. But you could make the identical argument about a smoker and nobody has the least bit of concern about stigmatizing smokers. (In fact, I'd swear there's almost a vindictive glee in the approach)

Also, at what point, how many deaths happen, before we look at perhaps augmenting the current approach with, say, more incentives to get people into rehab?
  • Nparker, LJ, Fred12 and 1 other like this

#286 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Quick Facts:

• Vancouver Coastal Health Authority has the highest rate of illicit drug overdose deaths among all health authorities at 38.9 deaths per 100,000 individuals and also experienced the largest increase in rate from 2016 at a 63% increase
  • Almost three out of every four deaths involved persons between the ages of 30 and 59 years
  • Four out of five who died were male
  • Nine out of every 10 deaths occurred indoors, including more than half in private residences
  • No deaths occurred at any supervised consumption site or at any of the drug overdose prevention sites.

Oh man, they try so hard to convince us the deaths are people "like you and I".  How else do you explain the reason why they have to tell us where the ODs occur?

Even then, it's not very convincing when half of them are not at private homes.  So fully half are at shelters, government facilities (like libraries and rec centres) and businesses, like the McDonald's bathroom. 

Look, why are so few deaths females?  Can anyone figure that out?  Because if we can make the overall male experience closer to the female experience when it comes to drugs, maybe we could get the men's ODs' down by 80%.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#287 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'd be curious to know (although I am sure it would be a violation of privacy) how many of these deaths were preceded by previous OD revivals? Is Naloxone intervention, without any additional treatment, saving lives or simply delaying deaths?

#288 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Quick Facts:

• Vancouver Coastal Health Authority has the highest rate of illicit drug overdose deaths among all health authorities at 38.9 deaths per 100,000 individuals and also experienced the largest increase in rate from 2016 at a 63% increase
  • Almost three out of every four deaths involved persons between the ages of 30 and 59 years
  • Four out of five who died were male
  • Nine out of every 10 deaths occurred indoors, including more than half in private residences
  • No deaths occurred at any supervised consumption site or at any of the drug overdose prevention sites.

Oh man, they try so hard to convince us the deaths are people "like you and I".  How else do you explain the reason why they have to tell us where the ODs occur?

Even then, it's not very convincing when half of them are not at private homes.  So fully half are at shelters, government facilities (like libraries and rec centres) and businesses, like the McDonald's bathroom. 

Look, why are so few deaths females?  Can anyone figure that out?  Because if we can make the overall male experience closer to the female experience when it comes to drugs, maybe we could get the men's ODs' down by 80%.

How long before someone in the media gets their head of their butt and starts writing about why the health authorities, who are spending the most money trying to prevent overdoses, are actually seeing the greatest increases in both the numbers and rates of increase of overdose deaths! 

#289 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

How long before someone in the media gets their head of their butt and starts writing about why the health authorities, who are spending the most money trying to prevent overdoses, are actually seeing the greatest increases in both the numbers and rates of increase of overdose deaths! 

I think it's generally accepted that the increase is due to the prevalence of fentanyl.  It's in a lot more doses than it was last year, or the year before etc.

#290 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

I think it's generally accepted that the increase is due to the prevalence of fentanyl.  It's in a lot more doses than it was last year, or the year before etc.

Sure but then why are we not seeing the same rate of overdose increases in other cities in Canada?

#291 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

I think it’s a regional supply thing. It’ll catch on. It’s only being used because it’s cheaper and easier for the dealers. As they open up more supply chains it will expand to other dealer networks.

#292 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Forgot to post this the other day.

Driving with my wife last Thursday around 1:30pm. At the intersection of Government/Douglas/Hillside, in the Government lane waiting to turn left onto Douglas....everyone knows the intersection.

Theres 2 homeless people, guy and girl. She is walking the line of cars holding a cardboard sign asking for $1 for food for her and her dog. He is standing in the island fiddling with something on top of the metal utility box. The next thing I see, he pulls some type of tube/straw out and leans down and snorts whatever he was fussing with...right in front of everyone at the intersection....not a care in the world. Snorts probably 3 times and then folds up whatever he was taking it from and puts it in his pocket as if he just ate a candy bar.

Welcome to Victoria.

#293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

The only one for whom I have any sympathy in the above scenario is the alleged (and likely fictional) dog.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#294 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

The next thing I see, he pulls some type of tube/straw out and leans down and snorts whatever he was fussing with...right in front of everyone at the intersection....not a care in the world. Snorts probably 3 times and then folds up whatever he was taking it from and puts it

Simple: It's a new powdered form of Nasacort, hence why Council is considering the ban on pollenating trees. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#295 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

Young Indigenous drug users are 13 times more likely to die than others in their age group, and women make up more than half of the deaths, according to a study that monitored more than 600 young people in Vancouver and Prince George over 12 years.

Forty of the participants died between 2003 and 2014, mostly from overdose, illness and suicide, according to the Cedar Project Partnership study conducted by a team of researchers and published today in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Twice as many females as males died during the study, which concluded before drug deaths attributed to a proliferation of fentanyl in the province rose dramatically. (Since the study ended, another 26 participants died and 16 of them were girls or women.)

http://theprovince.c...a4-2f96bbef6f39

Kind of from the "no kidding eh" file.  

#296 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

"In the Cedar Project, almost half of the participants reported that either parent had attended a residential school, two-thirds had been removed from their biological parents, and almost half had been sexually abused as children".

​So the conclusion that the Chief draws then is that residential schools are responsible. 

#297 pinguu

pinguu
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

"In the Cedar Project, almost half of the participants reported that either parent had attended a residential school, two-thirds had been removed from their biological parents, and almost half had been sexually abused as children".

​So the conclusion that the Chief draws then is that residential schools are responsible. 

Residential schools have left some pretty deep scars in the indigenous communities in Canada.  I grew up in a very small town where the residential school was converted to a public school. People are still affected by this, many generations later.

#298 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

The province is set to announce an expansion of testing services so users can try to determine if their street drugs have fentanyl in them.

I've written a post expressing my personal views as to why this is a bad idea.

• rjag, Sparky, Bingo and 3 others like this

#299 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

^ Thanks for that David. It is a pleasure to have you as a contributor. W-18? What's next.....draino?

I read the other day that some kids are snorting artificial sweetener. Really? You must see some awful stuff in the course your job. Stay strong. 

'

#300 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

The province is set to announce an expansion of testing services so users can try to determine if their street drugs have fentanyl in them.

I've written a post expressing my personal views as to why this is a bad idea.

I read your bio can you tell me your idea to end the war on drugs .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users