Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#381 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

...i'm sure the stigma behind smoking has pushed many to quit

And that's what I don't understand. It's OK to demonize a behaviour known to be unhealthy - even lethal - like smoking tobacco, but the exact opposite tack is being taken with illicit and more dangerous drugs. It's strange and hypocritical.

• Mike K., Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#382 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

The new owners of the former Dunsmuir Lodge hope to reopen it this fall as a private treatment facility specializing in mental health and addiction. 

The sale, first announced in the spring of 2016, was finalized this week. Ontario-based Homewood Health has paid $7.6 million for the lodge, which has been vacant since 2008 when UVic closed it because of decreased use and the investment required to upgrade the property. Originally called Gillain Manor, Dunsmuir Lodge went into receivership when it was under construction and its builder, Farmer Construction, purchased it. The lodge was operated as a treatment centre for a brief time. 

http://www.timescolo...ions-1.23142882

#383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

#384 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Bellwood Health Services in Toronto is $17,339 for a 4.5-week program (this includes family programming and one-year of aftercare for patients). Homewood Health Centre in Guelph costs $330 a day for a private bed or $280 for a semi-private bed and addiction programs generally last 35 days.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#385 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

It does nothing for folks without means, which include the many hundreds of mentally ill and drug addicted folks wandering the streets of the COV every single day of the year.

The re-opened Dunsmuir Lodge (presumably with new name) will be strictly for the lawyer whose got himself addicted to coke, or the businessman who suddenly realizes he's drinking 8 scotches a day just to "level out".

10 or 20 grand, paid for in cash up front for a 30 day stay will likely be the only story here.

• Nparker likes this

#386 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

It does nothing for folks without means, which include the many hundreds of mentally ill and drug addicted folks wandering the streets of the COV every single day of the year.

The re-opened Dunsmuir Lodge (presumably with new name) will be strictly for the lawyer whose got himself addicted to coke, or the businessman who suddenly realizes he's drinking 8 scotches a day just to "level out".

10 or 20 grand, paid for in cash up front for a 30 day stay will likely be the only story here.

Do you have a source for that information that you can post?

#387 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

In what sense?

There isn't a private clinic in B.C. that I know of that offers these kinds of services for less than 10 grand - which is usually a 30 day stay.

For the re-opened Dunsmuir, if no insurance covers the cost through a plan, who else would pay for it but the actual user?

B.C. Med certainly doesn't cover it, and any extended medical plan that I've ever been involved with hasn't covered it either (and I'm on one of the best extended plans available in B.C.).

Although it's not an issue that I personally have ever had to deal with,  I've known close friends that would up putting over 10 grand for a 30 day stay on their credit card, as these places always require full payment up front, and I've never met anybody who had any sort of plan whatsoever that would cover treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism.

I be pleased though, to find out that I'm wrong!

#388 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Look 2 posts up.

Bellwood Health Services in Toronto is $17,339 for a 4.5-week program (this includes family programming and one-year of aftercare for patients). Homewood Health Centre in Guelph costs $330 a day for a private bed or $280 for a semi-private bed and addiction programs generally last 35 days.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#389 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

In what sense?
There isn't a private clinic in B.C. that I know of that offers these kinds of services for less than 10 grand - which is usually a 30 day stay.
For the re-opened Dunsmuir, if no insurance covers the cost through a plan, who else would pay for it but the actual user?

B.C. Med certainly doesn't cover it, and any extended medical plan that I've ever been involved with hasn't covered it either (and I'm on one of the best extended plans available in B.C.).

Although it's not an issue that I personally have ever had to deal with, I've known close friends that would up putting over 10 grand for a 30 day stay on their credit card, as these places always require full payment up front, and I've never met anybody who had any sort of plan whatsoever that would cover treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism.

I be pleased though, to find out that I'm wrong!

CAF health plan covers it, I've know too many colleagues who have needed those services. Fortunately, those who I still keep in touch with have done well after the programmes.

#390 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

CAF health plan covers it, I've know too many colleagues who have needed those services. Fortunately, those who I still keep in touch with have done well after the programmes.

There are folks that have spent 3 months in the mental health ward at RJH which is covered, but the cost would work out to about $1500 per month.

#391 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

What's the CAF?

Please provide a link to a CAF benefits package that confirms that a voluntary admission to a drug and alcohol program in a private clinic is a benefit of the plan.

I'm talking about a "benefit" in the true sense of the word, as in the full cost of the program is covered ... I'm not talking about an employer that gladly gives you the month off without pay and the promise of your job when you return.

#392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

What's the CAF?...

Canadian Armed Forces?

• Mattjvd likes this

#393 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

What's the CAF?
Please provide a link to a CAF benefits package that confirms that a voluntary admission to a drug and alcohol program in a private clinic is a benefit of the plan.

I'm talking about a "benefit" in the true sense of the word, as in the full cost of the program is covered ... I'm not talking about an employer that gladly gives you the month off without pay and the promise of your job when you return.

Yes, Canadian Armed Forces. All costs are fully covered, you just need to tell your chain of command, a councellor, or medical professional that you need help and they'll get you into one of these facillities.

It can have career implications, as drug use is forbidden in the military. However, if the person in need asks for help, they will take care of you and give you an opportunity to turn things around.

http://www.forces.gc...ictions-program

Edited by Mattjvd, 12 January 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#394 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

It's safe to assume that the "appropriate civilian resource" for any CAF member is never going to be a private hospital on the side of a mountain that charges $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 for a months stay.

I'd suspect (as per your link) that most folks in the Canadian Armed Forces with drug problems are dealt with "in-house", and at the discretion of the armed forces doctor that is supervising their treatment.

Perhaps casting too wide a net when I said "nobody" ... but to be fair I was talking about regular folk who have to make do with a combination of public and private plans - as opposed to a highly specialized, federally sponsored and wide ranging plan focusing exclusively on CAF members.

#395 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

It's safe to assume that the "appropriate civilian resource" for any CAF member is never going to be a private hospital on the side of a mountain that charges $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 for a months stay.

I'd suspect (as per your link) that most folks in the Canadian Armed Forces with drug problems are dealt with "in-house", and at the discretion of the armed forces doctor that is supervising their treatment.

Perhaps casting too wide a net when I said "nobody" ... but to be fair I was talking about regular folk who have to make do with a combination of public and private plans - as opposed to a highly specialized, federally sponsored and wide ranging plan focusing exclusively on CAF members.

CAF does not have full residency inpatient treatment facilities. If counselling, AA/NA meetings, and other programmes are what the member needs, you are correct, it will be handled in house. But for those that need inpatient rehab facilities, they are sent to a civilian facility, often at a 5 figure cost for a months stay.

True, it is a unique senario. It's the only organization with a large in-house medical capability.

Edited by Mattjvd, 12 January 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#396 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

WestJet has an “account” at a treatment center in Cobble Hill for it’s employees if they need/want/require 6 weeks of recovery.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#397 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

It'll re-open with a new name. Homewood is consulting with the Pauquachin FN on an appropriate name, as they have entered into some sort of partnership for both employment and healthcare services. What exactly that entails has not been revealed, to my knowledge.

#398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

Don't forget the touchy / feely guy who needs to take some time off and enter sex rehab!

#399 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

WestJet has an “account” at a treatment center in Cobble Hill for it’s employees if they need/want/require 6 weeks of recovery.

I guess the question would have to be, is Westjet offering complimentary $10,000.00 addiction treatment to ALL employees, or just those employees who haven't signed a Union card yet?

#400 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

If you have to pay for  it, it is tax deductible.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users