• Please log in to reply
3843 replies to this topic

#421 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

Woodwyn Farm is closing.

You wyn some you loose some.

Let's get the Wood part going on over at the Dunsmuir Lodge renovation.

#422 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Today’s TC .
Syringe used as a weapon .
Vancouver man arrested after a sky train attendant was allegedly confronted by a man holding a used syringe.
The attendant was responding to a complaint from a woman on Dec11,who reported that a man had crouched next to her and her children on a train with a needle in his arm police said .Its alleged the man held the used syringe near the attendant’s neck and threatened to stab him .
Kristopher Joyce 35 faces charges of assault with a weapon and uttering threats .
It’s possible that Dr.Stanwick is right someone is trying to discredit harm reduction efforts with used syringes in Victoria.
It is just as likely this is not the case .
Until you know for sure why say anything other than its being investigated.

Edited by Love the rock, 19 January 2018 - 04:22 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#423 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

I for one am on the side of thousands of doctors and medical professionals that have come forward in recent years with the stance the Addiction is NOT a disease.

More and more doctors and psychiatrists and psychologists etc. are taking a professional stance against the "Theory" that drug addiction is a disease every day.

And because it is not a "Disease" it can't be and should not be treated as one.

Drug addiction is a Habitual issue that can be overcome with first and foremost total, complete abstinence of drug use, followed by mental help and perhaps some programs such as "AA" or "NA" ...although I may add that 12 step programs while they have saved thousands and thousands of lives over the decades are not the only programs in place to help addicts remain clean and sober. Their are alternatives to 12 step programs that most people have never heard of.

“I truly believe no treatment will work on a person with an addiction if the patient hasn’t fully given themselves over to the fact that they have a disease that does not heal itself.”

Neuroscientist Marc Lewis, Ph.D "We know that treatment isn’t required by most to overcome addiction, so in that sense it’s not a disease. And the changes in the brain that occur because of addiction are not irreversible. We’ve been talking about neuroplasticity for decades. That is, the brain keeps on changing – due to changes in experience, self-motivated changes in behavior, as a result of practice, being in a different environment. Saying addiction is a disease suggests that the brain can no longer change…that it’s an end state. But no, it’s not end state.

You have substance addiction on one hand, and behavioral on the other: gambling, sex addiction, **rn addiction, a number of eating disorders, internet gaming. The cool thing is when you do brain scans, you get the same neural activation patterns in behavioral addictions as you do in substance addictions. That should be enough to knock out the disease model. If addiction is a disease, then people who spend 12 hours a day playing video games are suffering the same way people who are addicted to heroin do.

Take Alcohol Addiction for example...You get little things that show some genetic correlation with alcoholism, but there is no gene, or cluster of genes, that create addiction. Rather, there are personality traits that have a genetic loading, like impulsivity. So you get these cross-generational correlations that are real and do have genetic loading, but there's nothing like a particular gene or set of genes specific to addiction.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#424 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

^ Interesting....we have a war of two competing "evidence based" arguments!   One can't simply declare their view as divine truth.    

I honestly believe that VIHA could eventually be held accountable for any damages caused by their involvement in providing needles that end up continuing harm and / or end up causing harm to 3rd parties.

• A Girl is No one and Star Dust like this

#425 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

I for one am on the side of thousands of doctors and medical professionals that have come forward in recent years with the stance the Addiction is NOT a disease.

More and more doctors and psychiatrists and psychologists etc. are taking a professional stance against the "Theory" that drug addiction is a disease every day.

And because it is not a "Disease" it can't be and should not be treated as one.

Drug addiction is a Habitual issue that can be overcome with first and foremost total, complete abstinence of drug use, followed by mental help and perhaps some programs such as "AA" or "NA" ...although I may add that 12 step programs while they have saved thousands and thousands of lives over the decades are not the only programs in place to help addicts remain clean and sober. Their are alternatives to 12 step programs that most people have never heard of.

“I truly believe no treatment will work on a person with an addiction if the patient hasn’t fully given themselves over to the fact that they have a disease that does not heal itself.”

Neuroscientist Marc Lewis, Ph.D "We know that treatment isn’t required by most to overcome addiction, so in that sense it’s not a disease. And the changes in the brain that occur because of addiction are not irreversible. We’ve been talking about neuroplasticity for decades. That is, the brain keeps on changing – due to changes in experience, self-motivated changes in behavior, as a result of practice, being in a different environment. Saying addiction is a disease suggests that the brain can no longer change…that it’s an end state. But no, it’s not end state.

You have substance addiction on one hand, and behavioral on the other: gambling, sex addiction, **rn addiction, a number of eating disorders, internet gaming. The cool thing is when you do brain scans, you get the same neural activation patterns in behavioral addictions as you do in substance addictions. That should be enough to knock out the disease model. If addiction is a disease, then people who spend 12 hours a day playing video games are suffering the same way people who are addicted to heroin do.

Take Alcohol Addiction for example...You get little things that show some genetic correlation with alcoholism, but there is no gene, or cluster of genes, that create addiction. Rather, there are personality traits that have a genetic loading, like impulsivity. So you get these cross-generational correlations that are real and do have genetic loading, but there's nothing like a particular gene or set of genes specific to addiction.

I agree... but as an FYI, video game addiction has now been deemed a disease... 😏

#426 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

^^^ My personal belief is that different people react to different drugs differently, just like they react to different diseases differently. No two humans are alike, but genetic makeup can have similarities and susceptibilities. When the explorers brought alcohol to the First Nations people (just like they did with measles) it was reasoned that they were not as genetically prepared for that drug as perhaps a race that had been using alcohol for centuries. Some say that this is still valid today.

http://learn.genetic...ddiction/genes/

Edited by Arnold, 20 January 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#427 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Why are we not subjecting the discovered needles to drug tests or use tests? We would learn several things:
- used or not used
- contains drug residue or does not contain drug residue
- blood in used needle contains or does not contain disease. The sample might be too small for a proper test, of course, so a blood test could be a moot point but the other two pieces of information we should be aware of.

So if a simple test will determine another piece of this puzzle, why isn’t it being done and/or why isn’t the public being told what is or is not in those needles?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#428 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

^^^ My personal belief is that different people react to different drugs differently, just like they react to different diseases differently. No two humans are alike, but genetic makeup can have similarities and susceptibilities. When the explorers brought alcohol to the First Nations people (just like they did with measles) it was reasoned that they were not as genetically prepared for that drug as perhaps a race that had been using alcohol for centuries. Some say that this is still valid today.

http://learn.genetic...ddiction/genes/

I believe that alcohol already existed among the first nations prior to explorers coming to Canada, as history shows Fermentation has existed in every culture on earth dating back to the dawn of man in one form or the other. That being said there is no gene, or cluster of genes, that create addiction. Rather, there are personality traits that have a genetic loading, like impulsivity. So you get these cross-generational correlations that are real and do have genetic loading, but there's nothing like a particular gene or set of genes specific to addiction.

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

I don’t think our local First Nations we’re exposed to fermentation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#430 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

No.  Only south US and Mexican tribes.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 10:13 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#431 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

I don’t think our local First Nations we’re exposed to fermentation.

Historically speaking local first nations were making several different kinds of fermented alcoholic beverages long, long before the first European set foot in North America.

People have been making alcohol since the dawn of civilization. In the Levant, archeologists have found evidence that brewing of beer was an important aspect of feasting and society in the late epipaleolithic era (12,000-9,500 BC). As the Natufians possessed only stone tools and basic technology, clearly it doesn’t take much to make a simple brew.

This was certainly the case in North America where a number of Native peoples had been making alcoholic beverages using various simple methods since long before first contact. They made these alcoholic beverages from Sap, Corn, wild plum, and fermented berries. It should be noted, however, that most of these beverages were relatively weak, presumably no stronger than wine.

The European however did introduce the stronger alcoholic beverage. But natives in North America were making up to 40 different kinds of fermented alcoholic beverages of lower alcohol volume.

#432 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

^ Ya, but not the ones around here.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#433 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

If local tribes were making a low alcohol, say 3%, type of beer or ale, big deal. That's still nothing compared to a 80 proof whiskey.

#434 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

I get all the stuff about not stigmatizing drug use, but is there not some middle ground where the powers that be are not stigmatizing but are also not enabling the addiction either? Where, out of a compassionate desire to make someone's life better, there is a much stronger effort to get people clean?
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#435 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

I get all the stuff about not stigmatizing drug use, but is there not some middle ground where the powers that be are not stigmatizing but are also not enabling the addiction either? Where, out of a compassionate desire to make someone's life better, there is a much stronger effort to get people clean?

I for one do not believe the government is in the business of getting addicts "Clean", as a matter of fact I think they have demonstrated the exact opposite in recent months and years.

Take the U.S.A for example, where declassified papers from the CIA show that the U.S. Government used to fly in planes full of Cocaine and circulate it in the streets of certain neighbourhoods with certain demographics. They did this because an addicted population is a Controlled population....and that very same logic still plays out today in governments all around the globe. Trust me, the government does not want drugs off the streets. What did you think government funded safe injection sites are really about?

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

That's some kind of conspiracy.  Links?

• Matt R. likes this

#437 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

...declassified papers from the CIA show that the U.S. Government used to fly in planes full of Cocaine and circulate it in the streets of certain neighbourhoods with certain demographics. They did this because an addicted population is a Controlled population...

Sort of makes you miss the days when religion was the opium of the people. At least now there's no pretense.

#438 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

That's some kind of conspiracy.  Links?

Nope, those papers were declassified years ago. Just Google CIA COCAINE OPERATIONS.  George Bush Sr. Ran the entire thing before he was president.

#439 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

^You may want to re-read some of those articles.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#440 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

^You may want to re-read some of those articles.

Easier to watch Kill the Messenger on Netflix.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Matt R.