Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3808 replies to this topic

#481 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

...Why not exercise caution with all street drugs?

Common sense would dictate that if you are not 100% certain of the source of your intoxicant (drugs, alcohol etc.) do NOT consume it. Of course common sense isn't all that common*.

* with apologies to Voltaire and Mark Twain

• Star Dust likes this

#482 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

^Yes, but this is a real-world situation. I'm trying to give solid guidance to a young person. But I don't want to sound like a paranoid 1970s After School Special wailing that smoking grass will make you jump out a window and kill yourself.

#483 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

A life lived in fear is no life at all.

#484 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

A life lived in fear is no life at all.

Neither is life playing a game of Russian Roulette :thumbsup:

#485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

^Yes, but this is a real-world situation. I'm trying to give solid guidance to a young person. But I don't want to sound like a paranoid 1970s After School Special wailing that smoking grass will make you jump out a window and kill yourself.

Tell the young person that they can only truly trust the source of something if they themselves sourced it.

But I get it, where do we draw the line? Where do we finally say there is risk in everything? I mean someone could lace a restaurant meal with fentanyl as a joke. Where's it end?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#486 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

Did the big Johnson street bust even get mentioned in the TC?

#487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Did the big Johnson street bust even get mentioned in the TC?

It made it to CHEK news.

#488 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

To be fair, the TC's intrepid team may have asked if they were allowed to report on this big local news story and may have been told they're not allowed to. :)
  • Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#489 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

The check link does not show an actual tv news story, just a clip from VicPD. So minimal reporting. Also, is it just me or so they show a gun and riffle at the end of the c’ip. Were those also found there?

#490 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

To be fair, the TC's intrepid team may have asked if they were allowed to report on this big local news story and may have been told they're not allowed to. :)

Victoria police continue to document items seized while conducting a Feb. 1 search warrant, among them thousands of women’s rings, $12,000 worth of such drugs as fentanyl, heroin and cocaine, and $7,000 in cash.

Also found were two imitation firearms, a Taser and bear spray.

http://www.timescolo...ence-1.23168512

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 February 2018 - 06:56 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#491 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:46 AM

How a Police Chief, a
Governor and a Sociologist
Would Spend $100 Billion
to Solve the Opioid Crisis

We asked 30 experts to think big, but realistically, about solutions. Imagine you had $100 billion to spend over five years [...] to address the opioid crisis. Where would you put that money?

Capture.JPG

• A Girl is No one likes this

#492 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

It seems like we spend a pro-rated sum locally, but 100% of it goes to harm reduction and that's never going to solve the problem.

• lanforod, Daveyboy, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#493 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

I would like to see a local chart. In fact, I would like to see two: the first chart would be how we are spending our money right now, the second one would look like the one above from the New York Times: what would spending look like ideally if we could spend a ton of money.

#494 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

If we built a wall and effectively blocked all drugs, that would be effective!

#495 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

If we built a wall and effectively blocked all drugs, that would be effective!

A wall is a joke wouldn't work. We already have a machine that is drilling a tunnel under the entrance to the harbour, and no one has seen it.

#496 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

It seems like we spend a pro-rated sum locally, but 100% of it goes to harm reduction and that's never going to solve the problem.

How about letting Darwin deal with the worst cases and we spend our money trying to support those who actually have the desire and motivation to improve their standing in life?

• Nparker likes this

#497 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Article on the problem San Francisco is having with filth left behind by homeless and addicts:

https://www.nbcbayar...-472430013.html

The 2016-2017 budget for San Francisco Public Works includes $60.1 million for “Street Environmental Services.” The budget has nearly doubled over the past five years. Originally, that money, was intended to clean streets, not sidewalks. According to city ordinances, sidewalks are the responsibility of property owners. However, due to the severity of the contamination in San Francisco, Public Works has inherited the problem of washing sidewalks. Nuru estimates that half of his street cleaning budget – about $30 million – goes towards cleaning up feces and needles from homeless encampments and sidewalks.

• Nparker likes this

#498 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

A single pile of human waste, said Nuru, takes at least 30 minutes for one of his staffers to clean. “The steamer has to come. He has to park the steamer. He's got to come out with his steamer, disinfect, steam clean, roll up and go.”

Apart from the double entendre of steamer - one wonders if the perfect is the enemy of the good (and cheaper) here? Wouldn't a simple hose with a bit of bleachy water suffice?  instead, it seems that they are cleaning the surface to brand-new condition...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#499 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

Just hose it onto the street. Then storm drains do the rest.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#500 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

Just hose it onto the street. Then storm drains do the rest.

If I am not mistaken, local storm drain water is not decontaminated before entering the ocean (and the $1 billion currently being spent on sewage treatment will have no effect on storm water). So in addition to all the vehicular crap from our roads that gets washed into the storm drain system, hosing human contaminants into the same place will only make things worse.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users