Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

From my limited experience with addicts, the last thing they care about in the throes of addiction is their own well-being.

Edited by Nparker, 29 June 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#622 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

A 21 year old overdosed on fentanyl and his body went undiscovered inside his parked vehicle on wharf street parking lot for 5 days. Again, his addiction started with a prescription in his early teens.

https://www.nanaimob...atment-centre/#

The system failed this family, but also in my opinion city council's "bring it on" attitude to downtown is also partly culpable.
  • Nparker, sebberry, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Anyone who suggests there is a "safe" way to use street drugs in the current environment is partially culpable IMO.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#624 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

If parents had access to medical records some children may simply never seek help to begin with. Not all parents are nice.

Sounds like a pretty complicated situation as most situations are. He was able to obtain drugs from his mothers dental business, when his mother had cancer he was trained on how to administer intravenous drugs, he had his own medical problems which required pain medication and sounds like possibly “learning disabilities” that he’s maybe trying to self medicate for.

Maybe off-topic a bit but I know myself with looking after palliative care patients at home to my surprise I was trained how to administer intravenous drugs given a very large supply of medication (some of the most powerful drugs available reserved only for palliative care patients) then in the end at a fairly depressing time asking the government home care nurse to dispose of the unused medication and being told that was something that only I could do and I would have to make my own arrangements to dispose of the drugs(essentially they were all mine).

It’s been a decade or so at least I think since I was at oak bay high or at least the grounds where the buildings once stood where I attended. Couldn’t even imagine anyone I knew using these types of drugs in this way. I knew of one or two questionable people but they were expelled from other schools.

Edited by todd, 29 June 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

If parents had access to medical records some children may simply never seek help to begin with. Not all parents are nice.

IMO, at least, it's not the role of mom and dad to be nice. Just like it's not the role of your boss to be your friend.

Tough love keeps kids out of trouble. It sucks when you're growing up, but looking back you recognize that what you wanted as a teenager was rarely the best thing for you or your future.

• Love the rock likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#626 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

^don't think you are correctly interpreting the word "nice" in this context.
  • todd likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#627 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

IMO, at least, it's not the role of mom and dad to be nice. Just like it's not the role of your boss to be your friend.

Tough love keeps kids out of trouble. It sucks when you're growing up, but looking back you recognize that what you wanted as a teenager was rarely the best thing for you or your future.

Sdwright.vic is correct. However it is their job to be nice sometime that being said I have a list of parents I’d like you to talk to about the issue of over niceness.

Edited by todd, 29 June 2019 - 05:50 PM.

#628 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

I think there is a entire generation of too nice parents on that list.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#629 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

i do think the word nice is taken out of context.. when it comes to medical issues some parents might disagree with what the child needs/wants and what the doctor suggests..some parents are not so nice and very against key things, like intervention for mental health, medication for mental health, vaccines, birth control or abortion issues

i had a friend back in high school who was diagnosed bi-polar she got on a med regime, her father didn't like it didn't think she needed the meds, convinced her to go off them.. she had a complete utter breakdown and had to be hospitalized...if she had to get permission from her father to take the meds he probably would have denied her, it's situations like what my friend went through are what many are concerned about

#630 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

so i think it's clear that as a society that we are unwilling to weaken privacy laws and certainly we are not willing to institutionalize people against their will.

so i think we just have to live with the fact that some percentage of people will use drugs and die.   so be it i guess.

I believe you are correct.  The current drug death rate is the new normal.

Edited by phx, 29 June 2019 - 08:51 PM.

#631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

Fair enough, I get it.

But the alternative is death and in some cases, very poor decisions. The system shouldn’t completely lock out the parents, is what I’m saying, when a child’s life is at risk.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Cassidy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#632 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

Fair enough, I get it.

But the alternative is death and in some cases, very poor decisions. The system shouldn’t completely lock out the parents, is what I’m saying, when a child’s life is at risk.

I tend to agree with you Mike. The parents may not get the final say but at least they can be informed and hopefully better decisions get made with more people involved. The reality is that lots of people use hard drugs and don't die but the odds are not in your favour.

#633 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Poor Geoff Young. A voice crying in the wilderness yet again

Residents and business owners who are facing the effects of mental illness and addictions daily are being left out of a new city “peer-informed” task force struck to study the issue, says Victoria Coun. Geoff Young. “I think that the direction of the task force that we’ve got here ignores the views of those downtown residents and visitors and businesses who are indirectly affected, the impacts on the cleanliness of the downtown, the cost to our bylaw officers and our police, and focuses entirely on it as if it was exclusively a health-care issue,”...

https://www.timescol...sses-1.23873001

• Daveyboy likes this

#634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

I don’t like the honorarium thing.

#635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

Unless all members of all CoV-initiated task forces receive honoraria, then there is no defensible reason for the members of this task force to get any monetary compensation.

#636 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

I think we know the reason. First Nation participation very very often requires an honorarium payment.

#637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

Knowing the reason and agreeing with it are two very different things.

#638 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

Cool Aid posts their busiest year ever..

https://www.victoria...-ever-recorded/

Matt.

#639 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Cool Aid has 350 employees, with 16 job postings. That makes the organization one of the largest non-provincial, non-federal and non-municipal employers in this region.

Know it all.

#640 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

^business is booming with no end in sight
  • Wayne and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users