Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#761 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:24 AM

Now, a pilot project in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside provides some high-risk users with access to an automated machine that dispenses opioids prescribed by a doctor.

Tyndall says unlike methadone treatment, which is considered an abstinence-based program and helps addicts only with cravings and withdrawal symptoms, prescribed hydromorphone still gives users a high without the risk of death.

Participants can use the machine up to four times a day, but they must wait a few hours between each use. The machine can be programmed to make the window between doses as long or as short as administrators want.

Derick Walker, a program participant, said the machine has given him his life back.

"I don't have to hustle all day to get money to support myself for street fentanyl, which is gambling with my life."

glad this fellow has "got his life back".  we are now paying 24/7 to keep him housed fed and now high.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 January 2020 - 06:25 AM.

#762 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

So not even the pretense of getting people clean anymore.  :whyme:

• Daveyboy and Love the rock like this

#763 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

A safe injection site is proposed for 1056 North Park St. Did anyone attend last night’s community meeting hosted by the NPNA?

https://drive.google...6asH2KL918/view

#764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

The application is also requesting approvals for “provision of cannabis for members onsite.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#765 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

A safe injection site is proposed for 1056 North Park St. Did anyone attend last night’s community meeting hosted by the NPNA?...

You say that like the NPNA makes any effort to communicate with the larger community.

Edited by Nparker, 17 January 2020 - 07:34 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#766 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

Here’s more information on SOLID; apparently they have some operations at the site already: https://drive.google...6CZRbB132Z/view

A letter from Island Health supporting the permit:

https://drive.google...50tm-c1Z0I/view

#767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

A safe injection site is proposed for 1056 North Park St...

Here’s more information on SOLID; apparently they have some operations at the site already...

In other words it's a done deal and the efforts to solicit community feedback are typical Victoria pretense.

#768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

A safe injection site is proposed for 1056 North Park St. Did anyone attend last night’s community meeting hosted by the NPNA?

https://drive.google...6asH2KL918/view

“ I'm the bookkeeper and an outreach worker for solid outreach and a harm reduction worker at an actual VIHA safe injection site and your story has no basis in truth. I'm in the board meetings, this is entirely fabricated and requires an immediate correction. Thank you.” This message was forwarded to me. Not sure what the misinformation is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#769 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

One of their list of demands.

"There were strong concerns presented around the presence of police in, and in the vicinity of, the SCS. (Safe Consumption Site) It was recommended there be no police around the SCS, or a specific “no fly” zone for police, and that police only be welcome inside when called by staff."

http://solidvictoria...vember-2016.pdf

#770 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:21 AM

that’s fair. police presence can be triggering to the dealers.
  • Rob Randall, sebberry, Sparky and 3 others like this

#771 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

I sometimes feel like, intentionally or not, the City goes out of its way to ensure the street drug trade is allowed to thrive. Same goes for certain local "activists".

Edited by rmpeers, 19 January 2020 - 08:36 AM.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#772 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

A study suggests illicit drug users in British Columbia are knowingly using the potentially deadly opioid fentanyl so making them aware of its presence in the drug supply isn't enough...The study published this week in the International Journal of Drug Policy is based on a 2018 survey of 303 people who accessed services at 27 harm-reduction sites. It says 60 per cent of participants had fentanyl in their urine and of those, 64 per cent knew they had used fentanyl, double the number from a similar study in 2015...

https://www.iheartra...tudy-1.10497934

Then I guess they've made their choice.

#773 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

Then I guess they've made their choice.

So warning people about fentanyl in the drug supply is a deterrent in the same way as warning an adolescent boy that a movie contains violence, coarse language and suggestive scenes.

#774 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,869 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

A friend of mine is an activist and works for VIHA. This was shared by them this week. Yes, users want fentanyl, and this alert was sent out on the DTES this week as one supply tested positive for benzodiazepines, which makes the fentanyl extra lethal.

3E85DF13-9866-4CCA-B6D6-4FD5A3C8ECC3.jpeg

Matt.

#775 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

Of course drug users want fentanyl - it's a drug and a damn effective one.  What they (probably) don't want is Surprise Fentanyl, since it's so strong the tolerance for what is an OD amount is very tight.

Cheap, Effective, Safe* - choose two?

I'll bet that vending machine doesn't offer surprises, other than to the Average Citizen.

* Only in the sense that what is a "normal" hit isn't going to OD you.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

most street drug users seek a high.  they will take it any way they can get it.

very very few are victims of some type of pain killer prescriptions when they were "normal" citizens.  that's bunk fed to you by the poverty pimps.

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#777 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

Researchers do not fully understand why people knowingly take fentanyl but say some people may have no other choice because it’s present in most of the illicit drug supply.

They say others may prefer the experience of taking fentanyl regardless of other options.

the second statement is overwhelmingly evident.

so this set of people have a very destructive habit.  to the point it's quite likely to kill them.  it's borderline suicidal. so is that a mental illness?  i think most people would say so.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2020 - 03:21 AM.

#778 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

As addiction management gets more dangerous you are going to see a few people peel off and say they can't do it any more, or they die While some have to plow ahead regardless. The addiction is so strong it's like a monster that needs to be managed.

#779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

The addiction is so strong it's like a monster that needs to be managed.

it is only in a very small amount of people though.  you or i could likely do heroin for a month then stop.  we should not believe anyone that says otherwise.  most drug users do not die.  most drug users do not even overindulge.  most drug users age out of using or tire of using or stop for any number of other reasons.  

#780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

The strongest addictive substance is said to be nicotine.
  • Love the rock and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users