Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3843 replies to this topic

#781 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

The strongest addictive substance is said to be nicotine.

But they are the ones who get the least sympathy round these parts. Not as exotic as heroin or crack?
  • A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

Right, I guess not. Lots of shaming going on if you’re a smoker, for sure.
  • Nparker and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:15 AM

Right, I guess not. Lots of shaming going on if you’re a smoker, for sure.

with smokers we say "fine do it if you want but do it out of the way of the public or workers or others".  seems reasonable with other drugs too.

• rmpeers likes this

#784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

I find it odd that to reduce the impacts of smoking related illnesses, shaming nicotine addicts is public policy. Even the slightest suggestion that illicit drug users share any of the responsibility for their "illness" and you are considered a hater.

• Daveyboy, Awaiting Juno, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

with smokers we say "fine do it if you want but do it out of the way of the public or workers or others".  seems reasonable with other drugs too.

Technically speaking, you cannot smoke within 7 (or 7.5?) meters from a door or a window. Which means all of downtown Victoria, save for limited circumstances, are unsuitable for lighting up.

It doesn't mean people care or observe the bylaw, but it's there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#786 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

Technically speaking, you cannot smoke within 7 (or 7.5?) meters from a door or a window. Which means all of downtown Victoria, save for limited circumstances, are unsuitable for lighting up.

It doesn't mean people care or observe the bylaw, but it's there.

Crosswalks would be far enough away 

• Mike K. likes this

#787 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Don't forget that while cracking down on public smoking, the City was gleefully letting illegal pot shops pop up on every block, ensuring that clouds of pot smoke would replace the tobacco smoke.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Love the rock like this

#788 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

Crosswalks would be far enough away 

Yes, but, in all fairness crosswalks and within 7 metres of them, since they need to be accessed by people who breathe the air in that area, ought to be like bus stops (and shelters) and designated as non-smoking areas within 7 metres.

I actually saw a CRD sign to this effect on a crosswalk's pole (in Saanich, wish I'd snapped a picture of it).

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 27 January 2020 - 03:28 PM.

#789 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Yes, but, in all fairness crosswalks and within 7 metres of them, since they need to be accessed by people who breathe the air in that area, ought to be like bus stops (and shelters) and designated as non-smoking areas within 7 metres.

I actually saw a CRD sign to this effect on a crosswalk's pole (in Saanich, wish I'd snapped a picture of it).

jbw

How many people smoke at bus stops . Have you ever  seen any kind of enforcement . Just another non enforceable bylaw that looks good on the books .

Edited by Love the rock, 27 January 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#790 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

Jordan Peterson's family says he has sought "emergency" drug detox treatment in Russia, after several failed attempts to overcome his dependence on a potent anti-anxiety medication. 

The controversial University of Toronto psychology professor and internationally famous self-help guru is said to have been in a Moscow hospital for the past month, recovering from both the "incredibly gruelling" treatment and a severe case of pneumonia.

"He's had to spend four weeks in the ICU in terrible shape, but, with the help of some extremely competent and courageous doctors, he survived," his daughter Mikhaila Peterson said in an online video, posted Friday evening. "The uncertainty around his recovery has been one of the most difficult and scary experiences we've ever had."

The 57-year-old professor has been out of the public eye since September, when it was first disclosed by his daughter that he was seeking treatment for his dependence on clonazepam, a benzodiazepine tranquilizer that is often prescribed to patients with panic issues. 

His family says he had been taking the drug for years to mitigate lingering anxiety following a severe autoimmune reaction to food. His dependence reportedly started last spring after doctors increased his dosage to help him cope with stress as his wife Tammy battled kidney cancer.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ussia-1.5456939

#791 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

A young couple were rummaging inside a commercial dumpster this afternoon. After it was suggested this might not be a wise occupation the young woman said she had three options to fund her drug habit: going back to being a hooker, stealing kids bikes or rooting through bins looking for items to sell.

#792 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

it was suggested this might not be a wise occupation the young woman said she had three options to fund her drug habit: going back to being a hooker, stealing kids bikes or rooting through bins looking for items to sell.

presented with that multiple choice what did you suggest next?

• rmpeers likes this

#793 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

I suggested she investigate the possibility of a fourth option but I don't think my advice was well received.

• Nparker, rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this

#794 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

What is wrong with stealing adult’s bikes?

Know it all.

#795 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:32 AM

higher ransom can be demanded for kids' bikes.

#796 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:34 AM

there is some irony here.

She said in an email the number of booths where drug users inject their own substances has also been reduced to two from six to maintain physical distancing.

https://www.timescol...emic-1.24115407

be sure to socially distance while you inject fentanyl.
  • Nparker likes this

#797 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:16 AM

there is some irony here.

She said in an email the number of booths where drug users inject their own substances has also been reduced to two from six to maintain physical distancing.

https://www.timescol...emic-1.24115407

be sure to socially distance while you inject fentanyl.

Where is the irony?  What exactly does intravenous drug injection have to do with viral contagion by proximity?

Or are you suggesting it doesn't matter because junkies?

#798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

Where is the irony?  What exactly does intravenous drug injection have to do with viral contagion by proximity?

Or are you suggesting it doesn't matter because junkies?

i think you likely already know what i mean.  but i'll try to explain.

the drug user is engaged in an extreme high-risk activity.  injecting street-acquired drugs.  but somehow in a "safe" setting.  so while engaging in that activity officials have decided to keep users physically apart.  to many including myself it would seem the coronavirus is among the least of the concerns for the drug user.  being "high" is also not a good condition to be in to remain aware of your surroundings and practice social distancing after leaving the centre.

irony is a more sophisticated form of humour.  but like many forms when you have to explain the humour it loses some edge.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 April 2020 - 11:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#799 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:52 PM

^The user's drug habit is not contagious, and their potential coronavirus infection is, so social distancing would still be a good idea. In concept at least, I have doubts it is actually happening in practice.

#800 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:08 PM

some tiny percentage of iv drug users locally (3%?) use the safe injection facility. i’m not sure it’s among the services that should remain operational at this time if the resources (staff and space) could be better used.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users