3707 replies to this topic

#801 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:33 AM

BC records largest monthly overdose spike in a year

113 March deaths the highest since 117 in same month last year

Illicut drug overdoses spiked in March, increasing to 113 from 70 in February. Many advocates and health workers, including BC’s top doctor Bonnie Henry, had warned that the COVID-19 crisis would exacerbate the overdose crisis, particularly if homeless people were not swiftly sheltered. After initially appearing to be part of a trend of decline from a high of 1,542 deaths in 2018, 2020 is now on pace to exceed 2019. The death toll included 9 Victoria deaths in March, 18 for the year in Victoria, and 38 for the Island this year. Weekly overdose events in BC (including non-fatal overdoses) also reached their highest point in a year the week of April 19th, with 372. Preliminary data indicates that at around 70%, fentanyl was a culprit in fewer deaths than it has been in previous years. See the report at the BC Coroners Service.

shocker.  the same month every person on welfare had an extra $300.

Many advocates and health workers, including BC’s top doctor Bonnie Henry, had warned that the COVID-19 crisis would exacerbate the overdose crisis, particularly if homeless people were not swiftly sheltered. 

i am willing to entertain this premise.  i really am.  but someone will have to explain it to me.  connect the dots for me.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2020 - 06:37 AM.

• Wayne likes this

#802 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

^With everyone now outdoors there's a lot more mingling. Meeting up again with old comrades and partners-in-crime. Just when you thought things were getting better here you are living in a tent on a sidewalk. It doesn't get any worse. Depression. Despair. 

I heard an unconfirmed report there's been more Coast Guard activity off our waters as authorities try to intercept drugs now that the land border is closed. Could some drug users be overdosing on unfamiliar types of drugs or different mixtures from new regions?

• Brayvehart likes this

#803 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

^With everyone now outdoors there's a lot more mingling. Meeting up again with old comrades and partners-in-crime. 

everyone now outdoors?  what drove everyone outdoors?

#804 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:06 AM

With everyone now outdoors there's a lot more mingling...

everyone now outdoors?  what drove everyone outdoors?

Weren't the people most affected by this spike in overdoses already spending much of their time outdoors?

#805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

are we to believe many addicts using street drugs are mindful of socializing or distancing to avoid COVID?  while injecting drugs that are going to kill them at some point?

“What you have is almost a COVID perfect storm for people at high risk,” Darcy said.

“We’re talking about two public health emergencies, we’re talking about a more toxic drug supply and we’re talking about people staying home because of COVID-19. The majority of people who die of overdoses die because they’re using alone.”

https://www.terraces...tions-minister/

Another factor could be tied to government relief funds, said Dr. Rakel Kling.

“Some access to some of the government funding and a bit easier access to money from the COVID response could be contributing to different drug use as well,” Kling said in an interview.

Kling wouldn’t speculate on how government relief funds could specifically affect overdoses, besides allowing users to buy different drugs.

funny how she would not speculate further on this topic.  i know.  it's awful awkward to talk about addicts using CERB and the extra $300 welfare payment for drugs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 May 2020 - 06:50 AM.

#806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:31 AM

British Columbia's overdose deaths spiked in March and April reaching the same heights recorded over a year earlier.

The BC Coroners Service says 117 people died last month, matching the number of fatalities in March 2019, followed by a steady decline in deaths every month since then.

https://www.timescol...oner-1.24142137

$300 welfare increase. some welfare recipients even getting CERB will cause this.

even COVID closure of some of the skid road Hastings pubs could be a cause.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2020 - 09:33 AM.

#807 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:20 AM

It’s a perfect storm , people on the streets , extra money in hand , no facilities to deal with the issues. Surprising it’s not worse out there

#808 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

surprise surprise.

The province has reported its highest-ever total for illicit drug deaths in a month, with 170 fatalities recorded in May. The previous record of 161 deaths in a month was set back in December of 2016.
Read More

#809 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

On the plus side, local drugs dealers benefited from the additional $300 attached to social assistance cheques.

• jsan likes this

#810 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

On the plus side, local drugs dealers benefited from the additional $300 attached to social assistance cheques.

The dealers are coming in from elsewhere also unfortunately

#811 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

The dealers are coming in from elsewhere also unfortunately

Of course they are. The message that Victoria is a great place to destroy people's lives by selling drugs has been telegraphed very effectively. And don't worry about the cops, we're working to rein them in! And we've got plenty of naxalone, to keep your customer base alive, using and paying. Bring your business to Victoria!
  • Nparker, jsan and Victoria Watcher like this

#812 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I can see it now . Drug dealers move to Victoria you can live in a natural  park setting by the ocean no charge with free meals delivered daily while you wait on renovations to be completed on your new home .. Don’t worry about having a tent we’ll supply one .
Once you move into your new digs with a large flat screen TV you are welcome to build up clientele discreetly of course .The police force has their hands full dealing with less money  and more issues partly do to your chosen field of employment.  
What’s not to like here in the capital .
Hey if your lucky  you might even get a metal from the mayor herself .

• Nparker, Lorenzo, jsan and 1 other like this

#813 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

obviously what they are doing is not working, so they double down and do more of the same thing.

• rmpeers likes this

#814 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:04 PM

obviously what they are doing is not working, so they double down and do more of the same thing.

everyone got $300/mo. more money regardless of their living circumstances.  what did we expect?

#815 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

I had an appointment downtown today 10.00am. parked in Johnson street and cut thru the alley between Agrius and Odeon ( Millies Lane ?) Just at the steps 2 guys shooting up in full view of anyone. 

After the appointment I'm walking back and turn right on to Yates by the BMO, there some new metal structures there look like high tables, 2 guys with drug paraphernalia spread out heating a substance in silver foil (heroin ??).

How low can this city go ?

• Kungsberg likes this

#816 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

We won't know how low until after the next municipal election.
  • mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

#817 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:01 AM

in unrelated news worker productivity was up briefly yesterday on the downtown east side.  followed by today's sick call-ins.

https://thetyee.ca/N...pply-Drug-Demo/

A new drug-user advocacy group in Vancouver says the safe supply of prescription narcotics must include pharmaceutical-grade heroin and cocaine and — to kickstart the effort — they’ve started giving those drugs away for free themselves.

Today, dozens of people who use drugs marched in the city’s Downtown Eastside and set up an overdose prevention site at the corner of East Hastings Street and Dunlevy Avenue, where they distributed free doses of cocaine that had been tested for fentanyl, carfentanyl, benzodiazepines and other dangerous contaminants.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2020 - 05:02 AM.

#818 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:18 AM

It would be unethical for our government to buy street cocaine, due to the terrible way it's produced in South America, causing many deaths. But to Keith Richards' chagrin I don't think they make powdered pharmaceutical grade coke anymore, just the liquid used as a topical anesthetic. I think heroin is synthetic so that's ok. But to make coke, heads literally have to roll.  

#819 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

It would be unethical for our government to....

So we're saying they're going to do it? Whatever it is?

#820 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

We had to call the non-emergency police line at 1 am last night due to an individual who was obviously in distress.  I've seen this person before and think they have a mental illness (rather than just on a bad drug trip).  We woke up at 1 am to hear a lot of shouting on the street right outside our bedroom window.  In the 'before times,' this wasn't an unusual occurrence, as my place is in the vicinity of Christ Church and the street is frequently used by people returning home to Fairfield area from bars.  However, since most stuff is still closed becuase of Covid, we looked out the window.  There was a fairly tall man standing under a tree angrily shouting and swearing at the top of his lungs.  He was yelling at the tree and at the invisible person in front of him.  He had several bags and suitcases, which he'd spread out all over the sidewalk.  He was pacing back and forth and getting really seriously agitated.  We watched for a bit and then decided that we couldn't leave him out there, especially as he appeared to have no pants on.  He wasn't naked, but it was chilly last night, and it's pretty inhumane to let somebody who is so completely incapable of looking after themselves wander around like that.   It was also hard to tell how he'd react if somebody did happen to come along.

The lady on the non-emerg police line was very sympathetic, and within about 10 minutes, the police arrived.  The man had just wandered off about 30 seconds before they arrived, but I'm sure they caught up with him at the end of the street as he wasn't moving very fast.

I've seen this person before, and the last time I saw them before, they were ranting (although not so angrily) and wearing a dress.  At the time, the thought crossed my mind that they were possibly a homeless trans individual, but after last night, I think they are so poorly cared for that even something like dressing is an issue.

I know Riverview had a lot of problems, and I think it was too expansive for its own good. (difficult to monitor/care for that many staff and patients) .....but we as a society need to start thinking about bringing back smaller-scale hospitals for people who well and truly can't look after themselves.  You can't tell me that letting people wander around ranting with no pants on is doing them any sort of kindness. He had a couple of suitcases that may or may not have contained things, and he left half of them on the sidewalk when he wandered off. If those were his belongings, they're gone now.

• Nparker, Sparky, Midnightly and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users