Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3698 replies to this topic

#1001 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:54 PM

Even though I have issues with the current walk-in clinic model of health care in BC (re needing to get access to a certain prescription which is currently frowned upon), I do like the idea of having access to multiple doctors. I've never been happy with any family doctor I've had - like most of us, they get set in their ways. Different people have different ideas. So you can go to multiple walk ins with the same issue, get different views. A bit freeing really...

#1002 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

north cowichan:

On Saturday, a crowd of 300 people marched and protested demanding Island Health reconsider its decision.

“This is all about VIHA (Island Health) putting a safe injection site within 400 metres of 2020 kids in our community,” said rally organizer Florie Varga and mother of two. “It seems absolutely ludicrous that we have to fight this and what is more disappointing is no one is listening.”

https://www.cheknews...schools-702837/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 10:13 AM.

#1003 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

“This is all about VIHA (Island Health) putting a safe injection site within 400 metres of 2020 kids in our community,”

Did they do a head count and come up with exactly 2,020 kids? That's quite the coincidental number.

#1004 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:04 PM

Maybe if we opened Dangerous Injection Sites then the junkies would be too afraid to shoot up, dry out and eventually rejoin society as contributing members? 

I guess there's no profit in that though.

#1005 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

But not everyone agrees. In the middle of an opioid crisis, admitted addict Quinn Houston told CHEK News that the injection site is badly needed.

“A lot of them are young, very young,” said Houston. “They just don’t know what they’re doing and they’re doing it alone because they’re scared.

Houston said by the time a new site is found, more lives could be lost and that it isn’t ideal to be searching for a new location amid an opioid crisis.

“I would say that it’s probably at one of its worst times,” she said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 03:09 PM.

#1006 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:51 PM

...“A lot of them are young, very young,” said Houston. “They just don’t know what they’re doing and they’re doing it alone because they’re scared....

They should be scared. Addiction is a very scary thing and perhaps they should be strongly encouraged not to use illicit drugs and get help instead, especially while they are young enough to turn their lives around. Maybe I am in a minority with this opinion, but I don't think society should ever encourage/enable people to be lifelong addicts.

• LJ, Love the rock, Midnightly and 4 others like this

#1007 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

we should be getting bc's august illicit drug death numbers any day now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 September 2020 - 01:12 PM.

#1008 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

$20 says that they're massively higher than Covid-19 deaths. 

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1009 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:41 AM

Though August may have had the lowest number of overdose deaths the province has seen since April, the numbers are still far above 2019 levels. There were 147 overdose deaths in BC last month — a 16% decrease from last month (176 deaths), but a 71% increase from August 2019 (86 deaths). In the first 8 months of 2020, there were 1,068 overdose deaths, surpassing the 2019 total of 983.

#1010 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

I grew up in Duncan and went to all three of those schools. I looked at the location and it certainly is very close, right across from the high school basically. There may still be a corner store there that kids would wander to on their lunch hour. That whole area used to be a pleasant, middle-class area but when I talk to my friends they say since the shelter went in it has gone downhill in a big way. I don't know what the answer is to where places should be located but you can certainly see the results.

#1011 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

I don't know what the answer is to where places should be located but you can certainly see the results.

Somewhere out around Jordan River would be OK with me.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:42 AM

i'm not kidding when i say it should be located between colwood and sooke.

when the residents want or need to go into town they can take a long bus ride.  just like regular folks do.

there is plenty of room in this area for a 400-bed facility.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#1013 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:07 AM

Reminds me of World War II German concentration camps. Far enough away from urban development so as not to be a bother but still alongside main transit lines and other infrastructure.

#1014 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:37 AM

i'm not kidding when i say it should be located between colwood and sooke.

when the residents want or need to go into town they can take a long bus ride.  just like regular folks do.

Considering the Covid emergency, why not put your facility in CoV City Hall?  Council can take their bikes and a tent and move out somewhere between Colwood and Sooke.

#1015 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:31 AM

michael forbes.  making money every day off the addicted.  pot.  methadone.  gambling.  he's into it all.

Hundreds of people are getting a safe supply of opioids delivered to their doors, thanks to new rules for who can administer prescription opioids. And one Victoria pharmacy says it’s seeing the life-saving results.

Every day, a team of nurses and pharmacists working out of the Forbes Pharmacy on Gorge Road delivers “opioid agonist” treatment — medications such as Suboxone and methadone — and prescription hydromorphone to patients living in hotels converted to temporary supportive housing, as well as others in the community.

https://www.timescol...macy-1.24210482

Tarasoff started delivering the opioid medication to about 10 patients living in tents in Topaz Park, and now her delivery schedule includes 250 patients. She said seeing people every day and witnessing their medication has allowed her to build relationships and trust. The other day, she ordered pizza for residents moving out of a temporary emergency shelter that had been set up at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2020 - 05:35 AM.

#1016 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

michael forbes.  making money every day off the addicted.  pot.  methadone.  gambling.  he's into it all.

Hundreds of people are getting a safe supply of opioids delivered to their doors, thanks to new rules for who can administer prescription opioids. And one Victoria pharmacy says it’s seeing the life-saving results.

Every day, a team of nurses and pharmacists working out of the Forbes Pharmacy on Gorge Road delivers “opioid agonist” treatment — medications such as Suboxone and methadone — and prescription hydromorphone to patients living in hotels converted to temporary supportive housing, as well as others in the community.

https://www.timescol...macy-1.24210482

Tarasoff started delivering the opioid medication to about 10 patients living in tents in Topaz Park, and now her delivery schedule includes 250 patients. She said seeing people every day and witnessing their medication has allowed her to build relationships and trust. The other day, she ordered pizza for residents moving out of a temporary emergency shelter that had been set up at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

He owns Salt Spring Island Ales too!

Matt. 

#1017 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:57 AM

Helps said immediate action is needed, because the province faces an entirely new problem in rising numbers of people who survived a drug overdose, but will have a life-long brain injury as a result. And she said it’s clear that simply providing housing with supports isn’t enough for some people who have more complex needs.

“I don’t know what the answer is, but there’s some piece of a continuum of care that isn’t there yet,” she said.

Nanaimo Mayor Leonard Krog, a former NDP MLA, repeated his previous call for the return of secure facilities where people with more severe mental health and addictions issues can receive the care and medication they need.

Krog said in an interview that he’s not advocating for the reopening of Riverview or other big institutions. “But I am asking for smaller facilities in the community where, for some people, it may be secure, maybe they can go in and out during the day, maybe they can’t.” He acknowledged that his views are not shared by all the mayors, but said it’s time for a “mature conversation” about how to help those who are incapable of looking after themselves.

“We have no problem putting our 85-year-old grandma, who’s suffering from Alzheimer’s … in a secure facility where she can’t wander the streets and be struck by cars or abused or whatever,” he said. “The public doesn’t understand what the difference is.”

https://www.timescol...ises-1.24213213

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2020 - 02:57 AM.

• GaryRanson, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1018 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:07 AM

Helps said immediate action is needed, because the province faces an entirely new problem in rising numbers of people who survived a drug overdose, but will have a life-long brain injury as a result. And she said it’s clear that simply providing housing with supports isn’t enough for some people who have more complex needs.

“I don’t know what the answer is, but there’s some piece of a continuum of care that isn’t there yet,” she said.

Nanaimo Mayor Leonard Krog, a former NDP MLA, repeated his previous call for the return of secure facilities where people with more severe mental health and addictions issues can receive the care and medication they need.

Krog said in an interview that he’s not advocating for the reopening of Riverview or other big institutions. “But I am asking for smaller facilities in the community where, for some people, it may be secure, maybe they can go in and out during the day, maybe they can’t.” He acknowledged that his views are not shared by all the mayors, but said it’s time for a “mature conversation” about how to help those who are incapable of looking after themselves.

“We have no problem putting our 85-year-old grandma, who’s suffering from Alzheimer’s … in a secure facility where she can’t wander the streets and be struck by cars or abused or whatever,” he said. “The public doesn’t understand what the difference is.”

https://www.timescol...ises-1.24213213

Glad to see Krog still pushing this idea.

#1019 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:11 AM

and helps has “no answer”. even though she’s been in office for a decade.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#1020 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

She and other like minded mayors created a crisis and now want more government and government (aka taxpayer) money to « fix it ».

Btw in another article in the TC she is demanding that the BC government give more taxation power to the city. She calls it « creative way to raise money ». No mention about reigning in spending though....
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users