Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#1301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

Their objection was primarily with the forced care aspect. They wanted it to be voluntary.

Here is their press release: https://www.bcgreens..._right_decision

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1302 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

Ah.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1303 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:36 PM

Their objection was primarily with the forced care aspect. They wanted it to be voluntary.

Here is their press release: https://www.bcgreens..._right_decision

Right. Voluntary makes sense. Because drug users always make the right choices and usually just voluntarily say, hey, this is bad for me, maybe I should stop.
  • Mike K., Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#1304 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

Right. Voluntary makes sense. Because drug users always make the right choices and usually just voluntarily say, hey, this is bad for me, maybe I should stop.

Strongly agree . If an adult with addiction issues and life skills behind them doesn’t voluntarily pick the path to recovery what chance does a twelve year old  have at the  game . 

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1305 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

Overdose death of 12-year-old is hard to hear about

16 May 2021

Charla Huber writes that every life lost to overdose is sad, but when we hear of a 12-year-old child, it hits at an entirely new level.

Two years ago, if I was asked if I knew anyone who used hard drugs, I would have said “no.” During my teens and early adult life, I crossed paths with those who did use hard drugs, but I never knowingly spent time with people who were actively using, and I have never tried hard drugs myself.

Over the past two years, I have learned of friends and acquaintances who have died of drug overdoses. Just a couple of weeks ago, I learned of an ex-boyfriend who suffered a fatal overdose as well. With each death, I was surprised, and I felt it was unexpected.

Morehttps://www.timescol...bout-1.24319659

#1306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:51 AM

Campbell River RCMP and the B.C. Coroners Service are investigating the suspected overdose death of a 14-year-old boy on Saturday.

“Our hearts go out to the family of the young man that was lost,” said Const. Maury Tyre.

The Campbell River case follows the April 14 death of 12-year-old Allayah Thomas from a suspected drug overdose in her friend’s Langford home. Following the death, Premier John Horgan said a proposal to keep young people in hospital up to seven days after an overdose would be returning to the legislature.

Adriana Londono, the girl’s mother, said it was Allayah’s fourth overdose. She said Allayah was sent home the same day after the first two and kept in hospital for a week after the third — but not given any help with her addiction issues.

Following Allayah’s death, a 17-year-old Nanaimo youth also died of a suspected overdose.

https://www.timescol...-boy-1.24325064

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2021 - 10:52 AM.

#1307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:45 AM

cap daily:

16 Victoria drug deaths in BC’s deadliest April ever for overdoses

April 2021 also had the 5th-most fatal overdoses of any month ever in BC, per the BC Coroners Service report released Tuesday. This year is now on pace to be the deadliest on record for both BC (680 deaths so far) and the Island (108 so far).

Deaths were up 43% from April 2020—which was itself up 48% from 2019, the year in which the overdose crisis seemed to be declining. That crisis surged to 14 straight months of 100+ deaths as the pandemic disrupted the drug supply, making it more unpredictable and dangerous. April set new highs for carfentanil (detected in 9% of deaths) and benzos (57%).

The proportion of drug casualties aged 50+ has risen to 39% in 2021, the highest in the past decade. The share of youth deaths has not changed substantially in 2021 (8), but there were 4 youth deaths in April including Saanich 12-year-old Ally Thomas. On Monday, a Campbell River 14-year-old was reported dead of suspected overdose.

April also marked the 5-year anniversary of BC declaring overdoses an emergency. Capital Daily talked to local experts to see how the drug crisis has changed.

imagine how bad it would be if we had not declared an emergency 5 years ago.   :whyme: 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2021 - 06:48 AM.

#1308 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:07 AM

It’s like homelessness: when government gets involved, it gets worse.
  • Nparker likes this

#1309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:27 AM

lot of media coverage of a death that’s completely unexplained.

https://www.timescol...died-1.24327102

#1310 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:59 AM

Parents and school authorities are encouraged to talk about it with their children, they'd just rather not say what "it" is.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1311 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:24 PM

Father looking for answers after 14-year-old son dies of suspected overdose

June 21, 2021

210621-DS-Teen-OD-1024x576.jpg

Wally Henschel and his 14-year-old son Justin were still trying to get back on their feet after a devastating fire gutted their Dogwood Street (Campbell River) apartment building in April 2020.

But tragedy struck less than a month ago on May 29.

(He) smoked some marijuana and drank some vodka, “normal teenage stuff but I always watched over him, never let him out of my sight,” said Henschel.

“When I woke up and I talked with Justin and then he started vomiting and he started crawling on the ground like he was a snake,” he said. “I asked his friend was what was going on and she said someone spiked an energy drink and handed it to my son with molly.”

“He said to me hey Dad and I said hey son, you’re really going to feel that in the morning. He said yeah I know, but I just want to sleep right now,” said Henschel, tears streaming down his face.

Minutes later, Justin’s lips turned blue, Wally called 911 and tried to resuscitate his son, but it was too late.

“He passed away in my arms,” said Henschel.

Wally.png

#1312 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

💔

#1313 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:34 PM

14 year old drank some vodka, smoked some dope - just normal teenage stuff? IDK

#1314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

^Seems you don't know any teenagers.

#1315 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:41 PM

Well, it wasn't normal in my house.

• Nparker likes this

#1316 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:56 PM

I sure didn't partake when I was 14 in the 80s.

But I knew it was going around then; it was a common topic of conversation and I know for a fact it's happening today. I've talked to 13 year-olds that know of classmates that are vaping pot and drinking. And vaping is way worse than smoking for kids. 

• Matt R. likes this

#1317 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:58 PM

I sure didn't partake when I was 14 in the 80s.

But I knew it was going around then; it was a common topic of conversation and I know for a fact it's happening today. I've talked to 13 year-olds that know of classmates that are vaping pot and drinking. And vaping is way worse than smoking for kids. 

In the house with their parents looking on, I don't think so.

#1318 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:09 PM

Canada’s public health agency says the COVID-19 pandemic drove an increasingly deadly overdose crisis last year that continues to take lives and corrode communities.

Grim new numbers from the agency show 6,214 people suffered opioid-related deaths in 2020 — 17 deaths per day on average — compared to fewer than 4,000 in 2019.

https://globalnews.c...d-opioids-2020/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 01:09 PM.

#1319 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:17 PM

Canada’s public health agency says the COVID-19 pandemic drove an increasingly deadly overdose crisis last year that continues to take lives and corrode communities.

Grim new numbers from the agency show 6,214 people suffered opioid-related deaths in 2020 — 17 deaths per day on average — compared to fewer than 4,000 in 2019.

https://globalnews.c...d-opioids-2020/

At the risk of sounding unfeeling,

Fewer than 4,000 died in 2019... of how many users? What percentage does that figure represent out of the entire user group?

6,214 died in 2020...again of how many users? What percentage does that figure represent out of the entire user group?

Assuming absolute numbers of users increased in 2020, then the increase in absolute deaths isn't as shocking as it seems.

It would be interesting to see the delta % deaths within the user group YOY. 

Edited by kitty surprise, 24 June 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#1320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:20 PM

it’s pretty unclear that COVID drove it either. except all the extra free money users had access to. to buy more drugs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 01:20 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users