• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#1361 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 06:41 AM

here is a 2014 to 2016 study. 

and note that to be considered "employed" you only had to earn $500 in the calendar year of your overdose.

does any of the following sound like:

Contrary to popular images, the main victims of the crisis are men in their prime years with established professional careers. 

Employment, income and social assistance

Almost two-thirds (66.2%) of people were not employed in the calendar year of their index overdose (Table 3), although that figure was slightly lower among people who experienced a fatal overdose (63.9%). Among people employed during the year of their index overdose, one-fifth (21.4%) were employed in construction, followed by 12.2% in administrative and support, waste management and remediation services and 11.7%, in accommodation and food services. Over the five years preceding people’s index overdose, 41% did not have paid employment, while one-fifth (20.4%) were employed in all five years (Table 3). 

Approximately half (50.4%) of people received social assistance in the calendar year of their index overdose.

Health care use

In the year prior to their index overdose episode, almost 62% of people visited an emergency department, with 32% having visited three or more times in that year (Table 4).

Results indicated that, overall, people in B.C. who experienced an overdose had also experienced income and employment instability in the years that led up to their index event. Approximately 34% of this population were employed in the year of their index overdose, compared with 59.6% of the overall B.C. population, in 2016.Note33 Previous research at Statistics Canada has shown that, in general, people in B.C. who experienced a fatal overdose had earnings that were far lower than the median employment incomes for employed people in the province.

https://www150.statc...e/00003-eng.htm

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 August 2021 - 06:47 AM.

#1362 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:34 AM

Toss out a few lies and most people will either not notice or will buy the story. Repeat often and loudly. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1363 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 10:26 AM

A technique that is used so much it means no one knows what the truth is but everyone is convinced that they know… sigh

Edited by A Girl is No one, 31 August 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#1364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:55 PM

Tristan Hopper on Twitter:

We spend a lot of time slagging prior generations, usually with justification. But I'll tell you something they didn't do: Allow the mentally ill to wander around in anguish until they died of exposure or a drug overdose.
  • Nparker, phx, kingcollar and 2 others like this

#1365 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:33 PM

Long-suffering patients coping with Canada's lacklustre mental health care services now find themselves in an unusual position — with all three major political parties now competing for their votes with rich promises.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...forms-1.6162996

_________

Statistics Canada says that in 2018, roughly 5.3 million people in Canada reported needing help with their mental health in the previous year — but only 56 per cent got the full treatment they needed.

any idea what all these people need? just counselling? or just someone to talk to? I think we are overlooking peer counselling opportunities here.

not sure that high priced professional help to hand-hold is working. or cost-effective.

what is causing 1/8 of our population needing help? for example female teen suicide has skyrocketed just in the past 15 years. let’s address the cause here.

The study from Nationwide Children’s Hospital noted that from 1999-2014 the suicide rate increased three-fold among girls between the ages of 10-14. While males generally commit suicide at a higher rate, the study demonstrated that we need to pay more attention to young females.

https://www.forbes.c...ls-study-finds/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 September 2021 - 04:39 PM.

#1366 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

what is causing 1/8 of our population needing help? for example female teen suicide has skyrocketed just in the past 15 years. let’s address the cause here.

Social media is the likely culprit.  Girls seem to be particularly harmed by it.

#1367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:04 PM

I think that’s right. but social media is just a bunch of words and gossip that young girls fixate on. I think we can make kids less concerned about it.

#1368 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:05 PM

The guy who posts 50+ times a day to VV may not be in the best position to tell us how to make kids less concerned about social media.

• Nparker and Brayvehart like this

#1369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:08 PM

I take a lot of abuse here, for sure. Not seeking mental health supports for it though.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1370 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

I take a lot of abuse here, for sure. Not seeking mental health supports for it though.

If only today's youth were as tough.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1371 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:29 PM

I think that’s right. but social media is just a bunch of words and gossip that young girls fixate on. I think we can make kids less concerned about it.

30ish years ago it was "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" now it's all about how words hurt and the power they have

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1372 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:13 AM

I agree. Resiliency used to be considered an essential skill to teach kids. Very important skill in life. (And I’m talking about just 10 years ago!). Now it seems we are doing the opposite, teach them to revel in their anger and expect everything be handed over to them if they scream and whine long enough. No wonder they are so miserable when they become adults: that’s not how life works (even though governments seem to want to do it that way!).
  • phx and kitty surprise like this

#1373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:33 AM

Obviously the “problem” with social media is the words are lasting and often open for dozens or hundreds or thousands to read.

we need to teach kids to take little notice of what others say or post. it’s unclear to me how easy that is though.

Kids can be pretty cruel. and it’s unclear if any “anti-bullying” programs have any effect. many famous people have difficulty with this and they might be in a better position to deal with it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 September 2021 - 05:34 AM.

#1374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:57 AM

It’s also easier for people to gang up on one person on social media, and the embarrassment/pain/sadness is amplified when you see passive “likes” on the content that is created to hurt the target.

It’s one thing when adults are discussing an issue and taking some liberties but it’s something else when a young person is confronted with difficult content day in, day out, and sometimes the harassment is even at the hands of grown adults. Look at how grown adults behave over political issues, and how they paint people with differences of opinion? How are kids supposed to react when they see mom and dad acting like that?
  • LJ, sebberry and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1375 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:24 PM

I agree. Resiliency used to be considered an essential skill to teach kids.

But we all know that resiliency is really just a façade.

• Brayvehart likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1376 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:55 PM

From the Wall Street Journal:

For the past three years, Facebook (owner of Instagram) has been conducting studies into how its photo-sharing app affects its millions of young users. Repeatedly, the company’s researchers found that Instagram is harmful for a sizeable percentage of them, most notably teenage girls.

#1377 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:58 AM

But we all know that resiliency is really just a façade.

No. Resilience is definitely a thing.

#1378 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:26 AM

Tristan Hopper on Twitter:

We spend a lot of time slagging prior generations, usually with justification. But I'll tell you something they didn't do: Allow the mentally ill to wander around in anguish until they died of exposure or a drug overdose.

Can see why the Capital parted ways with him. Too far to the right!

Have a friend at BC Housing who told me a few weeks back that they now have more shelter housing available then they had people in need. Most of the "temporary facilities" now have empty space. Although you and I would see that as a good thing, the poverty pimps must be terrified. Without having anything to rub our faces in they risk losing attention and new funds. 

I think this is the primary reason why all of a sudden we are seeing an interest in "mental illness" and "critical care". That will be the new beachhead as they seek money for new projects and buildings. Only question will be how bad the make it for the rest of us to blackmail force us into submission. 

#1379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

Yes, I’ve been hearing that as well. And now imagine what will happen when the courts catch up with COVID-era cases. Nanaimo’s prison expansion will be built just in time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1380 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:17 AM

Yes, I’ve been hearing that as well. And now imagine what will happen when the courts catch up with COVID-era cases. Nanaimo’s prison expansion will be built just in time.

So why do we still allow camping in parks?

Also, any idea where those people went?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users