The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#261 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

If that post gets nothing but glazed looks I'm going to be really disappointed. It would be the icing on the cake. No cruller fate.

In response, I tried to think of something sweet to post, but I doughnut know what to say. 

#262 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Rob Randall's comment from 930 Fort fits the Yates on Yates rendering as well.

OK, design, more of a filler than the crown jewel it should be.

#263 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

Look, every building can't be a Pritzker winner. But I do think that every block should have a crown jewel of sorts, a real eye-catcher. Corazon, Juliet, The Mosaic. The new one on Cook and Harris Green with the V-shaped columns looks like it will be a winner.

• jonny likes this

#264 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Agreed Rob. I think this is more along the lines of Era or Astoria than Corazon or Juliet. I'm sure it'll end up looking real nice, and no doubt much better than the rundown parking lot that currently inhabits this space, but it leaves me wanting more.

Is there going to be a big elevator enclosure on the roof?

#265 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

I think this is more along the lines of Era or Astoria...

But x 2, right beside each other.

• jonny likes this

#266 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

The lack of glazing is stark. They obviously chose to do with that painted concrete/stucco/paneling for some reason(s).

#267 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

The lack of glazing is stark...

Why has this become the norm for most new high-rises in the CoV?

#268 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

to me this looks like the kind of project where we might complain about the renderings but once built we will love
  • Nparker likes this

#269 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Renderings Fool Sometimes.

#270 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Arguing Against Standard Tropes Regarding Architecture

• aastra and Nparker like this

#271 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

to me this looks like the kind of project where we might complain about the renderings but once built we will love

FWIW, I'm not really complaining. More nitpicking.

Super excited about this project, and Chard's continued contributions to the city in general. I agree, this will likely look pretty good in person. The rendering is not bad, per se; rather, Chard seems to have settled in on a pretty conservative/safe design strategy.

• cathawk likes this

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

Townline's Hudson Walk towers are pretty similar to each other, if not identical to the untrained eye, and nobody minds.

My sense is in ten years two 20-storey towers in that part of Victoria will be two of several 18-to-24-storey towers in that vicinity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#273 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Townline's Hudson Walk towers are pretty similar to each other, if not identical to the untrained eye, and nobody minds.

Dude, I mind. Unlike yourself I would never claim to speak for other people, but I can 100% guarantee you that every VV forumer (including immediate family) also minds.

Seriously though, we know why developers want to twin stuff. In the case of the stalled Hudson district I was inclined to make allowances because the whole thing really needed to get going. But methinks a different standard should apply when we're talking about 20-story buildings on Yates Street in today's real estate atmosphere.

But you're right, there are twin buildings all over the place and we've lived to tell the tale. Even recent ones. Balance at Dockside Green is pretty much an exact twin.

#274 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

Wow those balconies look great!

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

... Chard seems to have settled in on a pretty conservative/safe design strategy.

Which is likely a direct result of seeing what happens at Council/with the NIMBYs when developers propose anything even the slightest bit out of the ordinary.

#276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Here's the model of the first tower in all of its glory!

The green area/garden between the towers is purely for aesthetic reasons. It will not be a common area for residents to use.

Yates-on-Yates-model-1.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-2.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-3.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-4.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-5.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-6.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-model-7.jpg

• Nparker, 2F2R and Samuel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#277 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

WTF?  There's a garden amenity in the middle with a pathway and it's inaccessible?

#278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

For purposes of comparison:

http://www.usedvicto...-model_29092085

#279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

WTF?  There's a garden amenity in the middle with a pathway and it's inaccessible?

The Hotel Vancouver has a similar set-up on the roof of one its lower floors...or at least it used to; it's been a couple of years since I last stayed there.

#280 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

^^Someone's selling the Corazon model?!

I don't understand the black gates. There's no fence running the length there currently so I don't know what the plans are. Is the walkway going to be split in two east/west?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)