The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#881 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

^That's great. You flip through any architecture magazine and there are tons of ads for cladding companies and you see some amazing colours and finishes and we wonder why ours are all shades of grey and beige.

#882 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:16 PM

We should convene a panel panel.

You cut me deep. I already made this (very hilarious, granted) play on words back in September.

• Rob Randall likes this

#883 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:22 PM

You flip through any architecture magazine and there are tons of ads for cladding companies and you see some amazing colours and finishes....

I know, it's crazy. So many styles and colours to choose from, so many ways to liven up even the most conventional architectural forms. And yet in Victoria they almost always* gravitate toward flat grey.

*Jukebox being the notable exception so far

#884 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

I know, it's crazy. So many styles and colours to choose from, so many ways to liven up even the most conventional architectural forms. And yet in Victoria they almost always* gravitate toward flat grey.

*Jukebox being the notable exception so far

I hate to say this but it's not just Victoria...
  • aastra and Nparker like this

#885 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:52 PM

It's really too bad this building has such a great presence but such a dull finish at the top of it. HP1 must be ribbing Yates on Yates all the time about this.
pic from https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

861979_22.jpg

Edited by aastra, 28 December 2020 - 02:06 PM.

• Brantastic likes this

#886 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:05 PM

From the air it almost seems like that L-shaped top section (top 2 levels and running 5 levels down the east side) was supposed to have been distinguished. If it had been then methinks the remaining grey cladding would have seemed perfectly fine (not excessive).

861665_2.jpg

#887 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:01 PM

The cladding is such a shame. Fortunately the massing of the towers is very good.

#888 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

Anyone know why the temporarily closed bus stop in front of the Yates Centre hasn't reopened yet? It was closed for YoY construction with a temporary new stop where a big ugly wooden plank now sits on a few parking stalls just before the Atrium. Construction's been done for awhile now.

#889 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:27 PM

As a Chard owner I can tell you that Chard is not the developer that it has previously established itself to be in the past. They have become incredibly complacent as it has been demonstrated with this disappointing development.

Apparently “Mr.Chard” let Byron run with this one and he completely crapped the bed. He’s just not ready to take over his fathers company at this point in time. Hopefully one day he will be, however, only time will tell.

Too bad though, I sincerely want Chard to make a comeback in the future. Personally I would hold back on any of their next couple of developments until they have proven to be back on track once again.

It's really too bad this building has such a great presence but such a dull finish at the top of it. HP1 must be ribbing Yates on Yates all the time about this.

861979_22.jpg

#890 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:59 PM

As a Chard owner I can tell you that Chard is not the developer that it has previously established itself to be in the past. They have become incredibly complacent as it has been demonstrated with this disappointing development.

Apparently “Mr.Chard” let Byron run with this one and he completely crapped the bed. He’s just not ready to take over his fathers company at this point in time. Hopefully one day he will be, however, only time will tell.

Too bad though, I sincerely want Chard to make a comeback in the future. Personally I would hold back on any of their next couple of developments until they have proven to be back on track once again.

This project received approvals well before Byron Chard took over the official position, and was well underway when Byron was named president in 2019. Dave continues to play an active role behind the scenes.

I don’t know where the notion comes from that this was a botched project or that the younger Chard is responsible for the decisions.

His first project locally, at the helm, will be Haven and Nest.
  • m3m likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#891 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:09 PM

I just want them to get back on track, Chard has done so much for the CoV’s urban development in the past and it’s a shame to see these recent developments turn out with such disappointment. Unfortunately I don’t have high hopes for Haven.

Let’s see how it plays out...

#892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:23 PM

I’m not sure why this is negative. Two sold-out towers, save for a handful of units reserved at Yates for post-completion, sound like a success to me.

Remember when the haters showed up over the Wade? 90% of sidewalk supers don’t know what they’re talking about and just mess with everyone else’s business.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:24 PM

Haven and Nest are going to be a huge success. I have no concerns whatsoever.

Know it all.

#894 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:53 PM

Haven and Nest are going to be a huge success. I have no concerns whatsoever.

Any handy links for these? Comments?

Matt.

#895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:42 AM

Haven: https://victoria.cit...a/condos/haven/

Nest: https://victoria.cit...ca/condos/nest/

Discussion: https://vibrantvicto...oreys-approved/

It’s not selling yet. We'll have plenty of time for discussions later this winter, though.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#896 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:59 AM

Mike, I don't think anyone's complaint was that they didn't sell out, just that they're relatively unattractive additions to the skyline from a developer that usually produces fairly snazzy buildings.

#897 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

The relatively boring east and west sides will eventually be blocked from view by other towers at some point won't they? How much longer are Capital Ballroom and that Telus building really going to stick around as is?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#898 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

Correct. That’s why there are no balconies there, as was mentioned the other day by zoomer. Sometimes these buildings are part of a grander puzzle which isn’t immediately evident.

Know it all.

#899 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:37 PM

That's my new go-to excuse for any occassion.

"What? That's it?"

"Yes! Monsieur, it is but part of a grander puzzle!"

#900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:42 PM

Lol.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)