The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

Citified entries: 848-852 Yates Street (condo) | 849 Johnson Street (rental)

848-852-Yates-849-Johnson-Chard-Development.jpg

Two-tower condo and rental development pitched for downtown Victoria lot

http://victoria.citi...ugar-nightclub/

Vancouver-based Chard Development has confirmed the purchase of a high-profile downtown Victoria property where the company plans to erect two residential towers, Citified has learned.

Officially designated as 848-852 Yates Street and 849 Johnson Street, the one-quarter hectare parcel – currently used as a surface parking lot for some 120 vehicles – is eyed as the future site of a rental tower fronting onto Johnson Street and a condo tower fronting onto Yates Street.

While building heights are yet to be determined, recent nearby residential developments have pushed upwards of 17-storeys and it is anticipated Chard will seek approvals in-keeping with the status quo. [Full article]

• 2F2R likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Yaaaaay!

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

Not a big surprise, long overdue, and VERY welcome. Let's hope the proximity to the CCH doesn't deter buyers in the condo portion of this project.

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Yet another underutilized d/t space bites the dust.....excellent.

• Nparker likes this

#5 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Not a big surprise, long overdue, and VERY welcome. Let's hope the proximity to the CCH doesn't deter buyers in the condo portion of this project.

Condos are on Yates, and are buffered by the rental building. Shouldn't hinder sales. At the same time, rentals are in short supply, and I'm sure they'll all get snapped up immediately as well. Win win.

• Kapten Kapsell and AllseeingEye like this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

Condos are on Yates, and are buffered by the rental building. Shouldn't hinder sales...

You're probably right. I am just really glad to see this space become something other than asphalt.

• Kapten Kapsell and Mr Cook Street like this

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

This will be a big, block-buster development so it needs to be above-average in looks. I'm thinking it should not necessarily have the mid block walkway as its main face but it should engage that alley by ensuring there are some great balcony walls facing it or a brownstone-style podium. I'm thinking some sort of art-deco theme like the Sussex would fit nicely. A real New York-style building, whatever that means.

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

I'm opposed. That's a heritage parking lot.

• VicHockeyFan, Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 3 others like this

#9 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

This is great news for downtown and represents a great opportunity for the Harris Green area!

I hope that there won't be conflicts between condo buyers and the Sugar Nightclub; it would be great for the performance space to remain there (and great for those future residents to get a good night's sleep).

Let's hope that other surface lots downtown go the way of the dodo bird...

• tedward likes this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

This is great news for downtown and represents a great opportunity for the Harris Green area!

I hope that there won't be conflicts between condo buyers and the Sugar Nightclub; it would be great for the performance space to remain there (and great for those future residents to get a good night's sleep).

Let's hope that other surface lots downtown go the way of the dodo bird...

If I'm not mistaken, Sugar does not present the same type of pour-out crowd as, say, Strathcona does.  Those show-goers are less rowdy than normal clubbers.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

The plan to (finally) develop the 800 block Yates/Johnson parking lot in the core of downtown got me thinking about the remaining lots that dot the heart of the city. Here are the ones that came to mind that I think would all benefit from some significant redevelopment. I left the Rock Bay area out of my imaginings since I think it's a pretty obvious candidate.

parking1.JPG

parking2.JPG

parking3.JPG

parking4.JPG

parking5.JPG

parking5a.JPG

parking6.JPG

parking7.JPG

parking8.JPG

parking9.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 30 September 2016 - 01:30 PM.

• Kapten Kapsell, tedward, Mr Cook Street and 2 others like this

#12 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

I agree with you NParker... the only additional significant ones that I might add to the list are:

* Meares Street behind Bubby Rose (although this is technically Fairfield

* The large lots along Wharf street near Capital Iron (north of FIsgard)

* Although technically not surface lots, the car dealerships along Cook Street that remain (Mazda, Chrysler, Audi); Audi might be the first to redevelop since they are moving to Douglas Street next year.

That should do it. :)

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

I agree with you NParker... the only additional significant ones that I might add to the list are:

* Meares Street behind Bubby Rose (although this is technically Fairfield

* The large lots along Wharf street near Capital Iron (north of FIsgard)

* Although technically not surface lots, the car dealerships along Cook Street that remain (Mazda, Chrysler, Audi); Audi might be the first to redevelop since they are moving to Douglas Street next year.

In my mind, I lumped the lots near Capital Iron in with Rock Bay, although I know officially they are quite separate and have long been crying out for development.

The car dealerships are another matter. I suppose their redevelopment depends on where the ones not currently moving might relocate. These properties are much too close to downtown to remain parking lots for unsold cars for much longer.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

Two of those are earmarked for development already. Although we don't have details, something's brewing.

Let's take some guesses :)

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

Two of those are earmarked for development already. Although we don't have details, something's brewing.

Let's take some guesses :)

Two of mine above or two that Kapten mentioned? 

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hardly surprising, but good news. Hoping for something slim and tall, but I fear another wide development.

#17 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

I'd wager the Price's lot right by Escher and across from the Y will see a development proposal soon. Not based on any info, just a hunch.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

^yes, that's one of them!

@Nparker, yours :)

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

^yes, that's one of them!

@Nparker, yours :)

Hopefully, it would include the land right to the corner of Broughton@Quadra (red outline)

bq.jpg

Surely, that nondescript concrete block box would be coming down.

bq2.JPG

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

I think just about every one of those lots have had a proposal, either a real shovel-ready project ready for development permit or an architect's dream sketch. Some sites have had multiple plans.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users