The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

I think just about every one of those lots have had a proposal, either a real shovel-ready project ready for development permit or an architect's dream sketch. Some sites have had multiple plans.

I guess the question now is "are conditions favourable for actual development?"

#22 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

I'd love to see them all developed into housing, bring another thousand residents downtown and fill in ugly gaps. The car lots are prime, perfectly positioned for larger-scale projects.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

I want to see 1,000 per year, not just 1,000!
  • 2F2R and Mr Cook Street like this

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

I apologize for taking this thread off topic. Perhaps a new thread is required. Mods?

#25 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:42 AM

Where am I going to park if you knock off all those lots?

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

Dude, car storage goes underground. Just bring a shovel with you and be prepared to dig a big hole.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Dude, car storage goes underground. Just bring a shovel with you and be prepared to dig a big hole.

And nagel can park his bike pretty much anywhere.

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

Every day I learn something new about my fellow forumers.

Anyway, bike storage goes up into the trees. Just bring a rope and a hook with you.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

Word is at least one of the towers will be 17-storeys tall.

It'd be great to push at least one Harris Green condo to 20+. One day officialdom might regret the flat skyline they're furiously working towards.
  • Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

In a perfect Victoria, this building would be at least 25 stories and 70 meters tall.

• Nparker likes this

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

In a perfect Victoria, this building would be at least 25 stories and 70 meters tall.

And would get approved by a city council that didn't include any SJWs.

#32 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

Well, a few buildings seem to be '70 metres wide'- Jack Davis, anyone?

• Nparker likes this

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

I'm looking forward to the details... :)

...Although details on Chard’s upcoming Yates Street towers remain light, the developer has confirmed its intentions to build two residential towers above a ground floor commercial component. The sizing and make-up of individual suites and building heights have yet to be confirmed, however.

“We’re several weeks away from revealing our latest project, but I can confirm that it will be our largest undertaking to-date in downtown Victoria.

http://victoria.citi...nears-sell-out/

#34 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Mods:  we can modify the thread information slightly as we now know that the two towers are proposed to be 21 storeys.

The Advisory Design Panel reviewed the proposal for 848 Yates on December 21 and recommended that it proceed to council as a development permit application (with variances).

Minutes from the meeting (which include the 21-storey height) are posted online at:

https://victoria.civ...5 Menzies_A.PDF

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

...we now know that the two towers are proposed to be 21 storeys....

21 floors downtown! Pam will be having kittens.  :eek:

• AllseeingEye and DavidSchell like this

#36 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

The Advisory Design Panel reviewed the proposal for 848 Yates on December 21 and recommended that it proceed to council as a development permit application (with variances).

Any idea of when it will be reviewed by counsel .. this would be a very exciting development if the 21 story was permitted.

#37 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Mods:  we can modify the thread information slightly as we now know that the two towers are proposed to be 21 storeys.

Minutes from the meeting (which include the 21-storey height) are posted online at:

https://victoria.civ...5 Menzies_A.PDF

Nice find!

Since Chard is requesting a Development Permit, that means no rezoning is required, right?

For reference, this property has a land use designation of Core Business in the city's OCP.

CoV OCP pg42.png

Here's the Core Residential description, as well.

CoV OCP pg41.png

#38 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

I think this will go first to the Committee of the Whole and then it will go to council as a 'combined' (zoning variance request + development permit) agenda item.  Members of the public would be given the opportunity to provide input; council would then vote on the zoning variances followed by the development permit (assuming variances are granted).

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

This is cool: "Although plans may be altered and final municipal approvals have yet to be granted, the design concept for the towers, at 848-852 Yates Street and 849 Johnson Street, has been described as “stacked boxes” by the City of Victoria’s Advisory Design Panel (ADP). The Panel also remarked that it is “exciting” to see such an architectural style proposed for the downtown core and has recommended that the project proceed to council as a development permit application with variances."

http://victoria.citi...es-and-johnson/

I'd wager the design will be something similar to Chard's Ellsworth project: http://charddevelopm...ject/ellsworth/

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

...I'd wager the design will be something similar to Chard's Ellsworth project: http://charddevelopm...ject/ellsworth/

That would be nice to see. Another "Yello" on this block would be too much.

819 Yates (Yello) - Copy.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users