The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#61 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Perhaps one of them is the former Island Rent a Car at Quadra/Johnson...
  • jonny likes this

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

848 Yates - preliminary rendering - Copy.jpg

I assume the image shown in Mike's post is mostly just a preliminary massing study and not an actual rendering of the finished towers, since I see little resembling "stacked boxes".

• 2F2R likes this

#63 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

to me there's too much going on. when i saw 'stacked' what came to mind was black & white or the one across from city hall. maybe i just need to see more renderings. in other stacked buildings there are maybe two different looks & they alternate, or there's one look but blocks of floors are shifted to one side to create the stacked effect:

Frontal_view_MichelvandeKar_copyrightOMA
  • Nparker likes this

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

to me there's too much going on. when i saw 'stacked' what came to mind was black & white or the one across from city hall...

This is precisely why I don't want to see "Yello2" go up on this site.

#65 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

When it seemed apparent yesterday that this was going to be twin buildings, I was hoping that the bases for the towers would be staggered/offset and that they wouldn’t be perfectly perpendicular. I was also hoping for some, even trivial, height variation. I was also hoping that they wouldn’t be attached by a huge podium and that the buildings would be slim. I was also hoping for more glass and interesting finishing materials. This looks like a lot of stucco or painted concrete, to me, which is too bad. The buildings look quite wide north/south and fairly slim east/west. There doesn’t appear to be a massive podium like at 989 Johnson, which is good.  Two thumbs up that these, while very similar, are not identical.

The ‘stacked box’ influence would not have been apparent to me without the heads up we got yesterday. To me, 1515 Douglas has much more of a ‘stacked box’ influence.  

Would it break the bank to put some fins and/or a glass façade and/or lighting features on the roof(s)? I do not like the elevator/utility housings on top. That look has always screamed el cheapo to me. These may be the tallest buildings downtown for some time, they should be special, not have run of the mill elevator housing top hats! I wish more buildings in Victoria had a flat roofline like the Falls.

To me, these look like fancier versions of Era. I do love that Chard is proposing bona fide high rises here. There’s no confusing these for midrises like Corazon or Escher.   

Overall, I think I’d give them a ‘B’. Nothing earthshattering, but leaves me wanting more. Some height variation and/or distinction of building 1 vs building 2 with a rooftop feature is needed to get this to a B+ or A-.

• Nparker likes this

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

22 and 18-storeys would be perfectly a-ok in my books. Just that little bit of variation, a slight jump over the 17-storey plateau we'll see in the 900-block of Yates/Johnson, and downtown Victoria's tallest residential tower (of course, Townline's will be taller still, but still).

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

something to keep in mind is that chard buildings always seem to look better in real life than the renderings
  • VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'd agree with that re: Corazon and Escher but I don't think I'd agree re: the Juliet and 834 Johnson. Methinks the tower portion of the Juliet looks heavier in real life than it did in the illustrations. Not necessarily better or worse, but a bit different than I was expecting. The 834 actually surprised me. In real life the tower is almost completely white but I really don't feel like this came across in the rendering (they must have had the sunset on max or something). I'd say the rendering of 834 Johnson looks better than the reality.

These tall towers don't seem to be particularly bulky, which is good. The upper ~12 levels or so seem to be about as svelte as 834 Johnson.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned Chard has earned a chance to build something taller. His buildings have been proverbial game changers. Take the left tower all by itself and tell me it's a Chard building and I'm already confident that it will be good and possibly great. But put another very similar tower right beside it and I'm not so sure. I really want to see how they're going to distinguish these buildings.

Edited by aastra, 23 March 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Any comments from folks in the Wave or 834?

#70 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

this project has a name now

Preliminary designs would see a two-level podium built, with the towers rising above it.

The podium would include bicycle storage, a gym and resident storage. About 6,000 square feet of commercial space will face Yates Street, Chard said.

“We are looking for an animated use as Yates is one of the hearts of downtown Victoria. And the Atrium [built by the Jawl family] has done a great job of revitalizing it and continuing to add to the community. We want to continue to do the same with our commercial as well.”

It is unlikely that the company will sell the commercial space, Chard said.

As for the lower-level on Johnson Street, “we are still trying to determine [uses] at this point,” Chard said.

The first tower, Yates on Yates, will be a 112-unit condominium development with one, two, and three-bedroom units.

“We are still working on the exact unit mix,” Chard said. “We are focusing on livable suites that have a comfortable square footage.”

The company expects to begin sales for the project in the spring. Prices have not been announced.

It is too soon to say what the second tower will hold, Chard said.

http://www.timescolo...h.H3Djnuo4.dpuf

#71 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

"Plans call for three levels of underground parking for building residents, along with commercial parking with hourly and monthly rates. “Parking is becoming scarce in downtown Victoria,” Chard said.“

http://www.timescolo...4.PLY2EP60.dpuf

Interesting.

Edited by jonny, 01 February 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#72 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I think they look great and I hope they start digging the hole a.s.a.p.  ... but now here we go with the armchair architect weighing is on how they should be. Groan.

#73 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Certainly seems more feasible to tack on an additional level of commercial parking to what's already needed for a residential project, than to build new standalone parking. Perhaps the City should be doing more encouraging of this than letting developers off the hook in exchange for more bike parking.

At this point Chard could do whatever he wants in Victoria and I would blindly support him. And if he sticks to the trend of Yates on Yates and names the other tower Johnson on Johnson, I might just have to give him all my money too. What a hero to Victoria this guy is.

• jonny likes this

#74 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

this project has a name now

Yates on Yates

:badpc:

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Why not Yeats on Yates?

• johnk likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

I understand Trump was interested in this site but insisted it be called Hates on Yates.*

* alternative fact

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

With the location near CCH, it'll require Gates on Yates.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

City debates

Chard creates

Bylaws regulates

Zonning mandates

Rendering illistrates

Pam predicts dire strates

Twenty-one floors dominates

Please just build it and I celebrates

The Royal Victoria, Garden City, Madoff Towers on Yates

• VicHockeyFan, Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 4 others like this

#79 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Looks like they are doing some 3 bedroom units on the lower floors

Market Residential.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I see one, anyways. 800k for that you think?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users