The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#801 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Starlight owns a few of the properties  in that area such as mings and the gov office buildings along Yates... so im sure that a longer term play as they are trying to lease out Mings. 

The entire block of Quadra (east and west sides) from Johnson to Yates is crying out for redevelopment.

#802 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:38 PM

That's excellent news. I wonder what kind of height we can expect, given that it's immediately adjacent to these two towers. 

#803 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

Starlight owns a few of the properties  in that area such as mings and the gov office buildings along Yates... so im sure that a longer term play as they are trying to lease out Mings.

Since they own the Mings lot as well, as you mentioned. They should consider creating a smaller scale version of what they’ve done with the Washington Convention Centre in Seattle - that way they could utilize the extra space over top of Quadra St that would otherwise remain unused. This would also create a gate into the heart of Harris Green to add a dramatic visual effect to the approach of their upcoming development in Harris Green Village where MoY and London drugs currently is.

I do realize that this idea is a little too forward thinking for much of the audience reading this - in fact it may seem crazy. But if Starlight was able to pull this off it would completely change the dynamics of the neighborhood and would catch a lot of media attention and architectural recognition.

Attached Images

• 4509A3AF-71E0-4E7A-AFB0-14767251BF72.jpeg
  • A5ECE005-FEE7-4B31-AA2F-E877DCBAE072.jpeg
  • 6984C21C-3F6F-4673-842A-D7D1633308AF.jpeg
  • 24CF5FF5-9361-47B2-BC77-2A1C67BABFEC.jpeg

#804 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:09 PM

I've been to the WCC a couple of times. The gate works well there thanks to the huge visitor foot traffic the convention center generates, "linking" each side of the block and giving you the feeling you're never leaving the buildings on the block.There's not much foot traffic going up/down Quadra, the sidewalks are narrow and I don't think they'd build a big visitor magnet on the area. So I think the gates would feel pretty empty and vain even during the day. 

If the rental car lot between Douglas/Humboldt ever gets redeveloped though, I think that'd be a good spot to try out something like that.

• Mike K. likes this

#805 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

IMG_20200916_145516149_HDR.jpg IMG_20200916_145315465_HDR.jpg IMG_20200916_145354863_HDR.jpg

• Promontory Kingpin likes this

#806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:32 PM

Love the massing and the height. Not keen on the grey panels. Hate the yellow brick. Podium seems to get most things right.

#807 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Gotta disagree, I really like the yellow brick. I wish the brick had extended further up the tower, with the panels being used much more sparingly. If you remove the yellow brick then this building would hardly have any personality at all (insert joke about VV member of your choice here.... for example, "That's why Mike K. always carries a yellow brick with him wherever he goes.").

The top half is like a different building compared to the bottom half. The bottom half has all the makings of a pretty timeless downtown residential building. It really does call into question the CoV's processes re: design reviews & advice.

• Rob Randall likes this

#808 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

....The top half is like a different building compared to the bottom half...

On this we agree, but the yellow brick is still grotty, because yellow brick is always grotty.

#809 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

Gotta disagree, I really like the yellow brick. I wish the brick had extended further up the tower, with the panels being used much more sparingly. If you remove the yellow brick then this building would hardly have any personality at all (insert joke about VV member of your choice here.... for example, "That's why Mike K. always carries a yellow brick with him wherever he goes.").

The top half is like a different building compared to the bottom half. The bottom half has all the makings of a pretty timeless downtown residential building. It really does call into question the CoV's processes re: design reviews & advice.

Ironically the timeless downtown residential building will be 1400 Quadra - have always been impressed with it and seeing now the narrow windows on the bottom floors, you can see it’s going to be a sharp looking building. Not to mention, no stupid panels, can we just do away with those things? Straight on viewed from Yates - YoY just looks weird, it’s really unattractive, too flat, yet wide and balconies on either side are unbalanced. It’s like you’re struggling to find something nice to hook your eyes into that makes sense and is interesting. Viewed from far away, they actually look ok on the skyline, definitely different in a sort of ugly way.

#810 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:49 PM

And while we're at it, another new drone photo:

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

119710012_2958318811095332_5653342948944

• aastra, Promontory Kingpin and dkuitu like this

#811 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

Are you still droning on about drone photos? It's like you're on auto-pilot. Or maybe you're just high.*

*these clever plays on words might go overhead of some forumers

I hate to be a pane but do we need to have a panel discussion about 1400 Quadra? I could have sworn the renderings showed grey panels on the upper levels?

#812 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Cantankerous development critics on the interwebs have been complaining about lousy ground floors for years (I blame Mike K. for encouraging it). So here we are in late 2020 and developers are acing the ground levels, no problem. But unfortunately they've now started muffing all of the other parts.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#813 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

I've read your post. Now I'm mullion it over.

• aastra likes this

#814 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

Grey panelists - how dare you imply the VV Council of Elders are old grey haired flaneurs! I actually learned that last word decades ago after Holden West used it here. VV, vocabulary expansion - no extra charge.

But, no, I can't see any grey panels here:

https://victoria.cit...ohnson-streets/

And apologies for droning on, but I've become fascinated by the technology after doing research on local companies that provide the service. It all started with my kind gesture to help a small local firm (Aryze) find a gentleman who can provide their promised personalized virtual views to hundreds of residents in buildings neighbouring a proposed triangular development - but I'm veering off course here...
  • aastra likes this

#815 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:43 PM

No need to telus more. I'm sorry I raised it.

So... what exactly is all that stuff on the roof of the tire place beside the 7-11?

#816 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

I thought 1400 Quadra was supposed to have dark brick on the podium, lighter brick on the upper levels, and panels on the top levels and the narrow bit running down the front corners.

#817 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:05 PM

Oh dear, I thought that was painted concrete with a few decorative etched lines thrown in to resemble... grey panels. If so, it appears to be minimal at least. As for the white things on the roof top of the tyre place, that is a good question.

#818 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

Now I'm mullion it over.

Don't be surprised if the mods put the frieze on this thread. Those guys maintain a facade of tolerance, but they're an im-pediment to wordplay. One good pun and you become their arch-enemy.

#819 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:36 AM

I think the tire place stores tires up there.

(sorry no pun to place here)

#820 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:20 AM

Well considering you were postings at 2:36 a.m. you were likely two tired to come up with anything clever.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)