The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:56 PM

Like a firewood fire pit?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#862 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:02 PM

One of my co-workers used to live at Hudson Walk One and commented on how absolutely disgusting the dog run was due to the sheer volume of pets in the building. Hope the residents at Vivid have a less poopy experience.

This is exactly what I was thinking for when VIVID opens. I'm assuming there will be a couple of spray hoses hooked up for cleaning? How did they clean at Hudson Walk 1?

#863 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,319 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

I stand corrected then. very interesting.

#864 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

Like a firewood fire pit?

Assuming this is directed to me, they're propane firepits.

#865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

Ah, gotcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#866 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:44 AM

Re-sale units hitting the market at YoY. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#867 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

The photos look like the finishings are step up from some other recent builds, perhaps on-par with Promontory?  

What's the typical target market for these places? At 540 sq-ft, 1b/1ba these aren't exactly targeted at couples thinking about starting a family, and at 10 times my gross annual income they're not speaking to a singleton like myself either :D 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#868 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

The photos look like the finishings are step up from some other recent builds, perhaps on-par with Promontory?  

What's the typical target market for these places? At 540 sq-ft, 1b/1ba these aren't exactly targeted at couples thinking about starting a family, and at 10 times my gross annual income they're not speaking to a singleton like myself either :D

You'd be surprised at the amount of couples living in 1-beds. 

#869 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

Most couples I know who rent are in 1BR units, as am I. Was fine until work from home started, now a second bedroom or den would be a godsend.

#870 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:08 PM

You'd probably be even more surprised by the amount of couples in separate beds. :rolleyes:

#871 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

^I don't want to start a rumour but I heard Laura and Rob are doing that. They might be having issues.

• Nparker likes this

#872 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:48 PM

Well, if her name is Laura then Rob’s got far, far more to worry about!

The whole sleeping in separate beds thing is actually pretty cool, especially if you have different schedules or the other person is a night owl. It’s quite the sign of mutual respect for each other, and confidence/security in your relationship.

Know it all.

#873 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

^I don't want to start a rumour but I heard Laura and Rob are doing that...

I'd suggest they talk to Ricky and Lucy, but I don't think that would help. Perhaps Darren and Samantha or Mike and Carol could offer some advice. Even Herman and Lily managed to work this out.

(and that's as off-topic as I am going to take this)

#874 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:42 PM

Photo I took today, you can see a few people have moved in.  At night and with those very bright exterior lights you can see the 'high-end' intent of this building.. but after you get past the brickwork it's like WTF.  How the heck was this approved by everyone involved?! 

Did no one say 'Hey this is way to f'in busy, plus what's with the grey panels and why are the balconies on the worst view sides and why are there are no balconies on all sides and why are we putting a mid-block walk right beside another mid-walk block which is right beside a no-barrier/no eviction homeless shelter, and why is this proposal making me spew out run on sentences asking why, why, why!" 

50753718946_bff4c17215_h.jpgYOY Dec 23 2020 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

• sebberry and newbie_01 like this

#875 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:09 AM

The top half reminds me those plastic model kits after you assemble it but before you glue the bits on and paint it and put the decals on. Remember that? Soaking the paper and sliding the decal onto the model? Anyway. But that is a great photo.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 December 2020 - 07:10 AM.

• zoomer, sebberry and Matt R. like this

#876 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

Is zoomer saying he really likes it or what? Why beat around the bush like that?

I'm telling you, the lower sections are the best thing about it. That flavour should have extended further up the tower. The changes in cladding on the tower levels should have been limited to the upper few levels only, which would have diminished some of the busyness that you're talking about. And it should have culminated with a strong visual statement on the top level, rather than culminating with a whole lot of blah.

We talked about the lack of balconies on the sides before. I thought we concluded they were assuming something tall would be coming on the old BC Tel property? My vote would be for some slim brick-clad towers

#877 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

...the lower sections are the best thing about it...

Except for the hideous yellow brick. I

#878 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:27 PM

^Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they chickened out with the brick and went bananas with bland panels in order to appease people who might criticize the brick. Be careful what we wish for. I would much prefer to see that exact same brick cladding up around the 20th floor than either those lame grey panels or the white panels.

• Brantastic likes this

#879 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

The panels themselves aren't inherently bad--as you can see in the new Quadra/Johnson tower they can be part of an attractive cladding scheme.

It's a rich topic for discussion. We should convene a panel panel.

#880 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:11 PM

This is what I would have preferred to see. Extend the brick further up the tower, limit the panel cladding to the upper levels, and make a statement at the very top with some bronze- or copper-tone cladding that would've made for a nice nod to St. Andrew's on Blanshard from certain angles. The overuse of bland panels on major new buildings in Victoria is a real puzzler, honestly. There are so, so, so many options to choose from.

Yates_on_Yates-Before-and-After-4.jpg

--

TECU_Brass_Panels_by_KME-01.jpg

--

TECU_Brass_Panels_by_KME-02.jpg

pics of TECU Brass cladding from https://www.archipro...tecu-brass_1698

Edited by aastra, 24 December 2020 - 06:58 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users