The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#81 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

$650 a foot....maybe $699k to start?  Not sure if I am seeing it right but looks like there is a structure column right in the middle of the 3 bedroom units.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Here's a detail of the Yates Street frontage from the CoV planning website.

848 Yates crop.JPG

It sure will be nice not to have a massive parking lot in the middle of this block.

• Kapten Kapsell and johnk like this

#83 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

That midblock crossing is pretty narrow - thinking the city/council will ask them to widen it.

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Only missing the fence out front!

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

They will need some hate-gating along the left side there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Not crazy about that. It's okay but it just looks so conventional. Where's the flair? Nothing to distinguish it like the orange panels on Escher or the curved corner windows on the Juliet? Where's the "look at me" element?

Also, the passage should be wider on the Yates side. No activation of that corner space leading into the passage? Heck, no corner space to activate?

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Taking all of Chard's projects into consideration, methinks the last one that we should want to emulate on this site is the Sovereign. Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a lot of that here.

edit looking back in 2020: the "Sovereign" aspects are what I like most about it (the podium levels), as compared to the cladding panels and the "non-Sovereign" aspects near the top of the tower.

Edited by aastra, 21 September 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

So... where's the whole "exciting architectural style for downtown" aspect? The lower levels seem to be very conventional. Why was that comment in the ADP document? Does the design really change gears on the higher floors or something?

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Does the design really change gears on the higher floors or something?

I suppose it must, based on that earlier image of the towers.

edit looking back in 2020: my optimism was misplaced and I remain as confused as ever about that "exciting architectural style" comment in the CoV's document.

Edited by aastra, 21 September 2020 - 07:31 PM.

#90 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

So far, the only aspects that excite me are that this parking lot is finally going bye-bye, that something taller than 14 or 15 stories is going in and that they aren't proposing a full on widescraper. The images leave me wanting more. This looks like Era v2.0 or something.

• Nparker likes this

#91 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

The fundamentals are there, which is good. Nothing goofy in terms of the setbacks or anything like that. That dark section might look really sharp if the cladding is something decent. But when we're talking about 20 stories x 2 on a single site I think you've got to expect something more interesting than a base hit.

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

That mid-block crossing is pretty narrow...

It's wider than it looks (and certainly more than wide enough) because it will also incorporate the existing walkway along the eastern side of the Yates Centre building. I'm not sure mid-block walkways need to be the width of LA freeways.

#93 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

I think the mid block crossing is only the existing one that's there current.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

I think the mid block crossing is only the existing one that's there current.

I think it will actually be about 30%-50% wider than it is currently.

848 landscape.JPG

(click on picture for more detail)

#95 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

This looks like Era v2.0 or something.

What's wrong with Era V2.0?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

I could say the ground floor and lane aren't Era-esque enough. They should be more Era-like. Somebody should give Chard an Era-ful about it.

Edited by aastra, 08 February 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#97 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Era's ground floor just seems more inviting. This one seems very sterile, don't you think? It doesn't look like it's making any major/fundamental mistakes or anything like that. It just lacks something. I don't know.

#98 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Taking all of Chard's projects into consideration, methinks the last one that we should want to emulate on this site is the Sovereign. Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a lot of that here.

Sovereign fits where it does, a fine building, but I agree not here or most locations.  Could never understand why someone would pay big money for small recessed box like balconies.  When you look up at the Sovereign it seems devoid of life, especially compared to the Falls for example.  I really like Era, highly underrated building.  Hopefully Chard will tweak this one a bit more, he's come up with some beauties so far, so fingers crossed.   

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

Could never understand why someone would pay big money for small recessed box like balconies.

Check out the balconies on that Bowker project.

#100 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

Could never understand why someone would pay big money for small recessed box like balconies.

The city needs to get its head out of its rear and allow (or demand) the sort of balconies and terraces that belong in the old town. You know, the sort of thing that you actually saw and can still see on some historic buildings.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)