BUILT
Oaks at Bellewood Park
Use: condo
Address: 1201 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (sub-penthouse, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Bellewood Park offers a unique opportunity to experience nature – a place from which one can engage with the... (view full profile)
Learn more about Oaks at Bellewood Park on Citified.ca
Photo

[Rockland] Oaks, Cypress and Townhomes at Bellewood Park | Condos, townhomes | 6 and 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2022

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#401 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

Get serious. The Oaks building was called a "tower" at six stories, and they only squeaked through approvals after a long battle.

Besides, size isn't everything. In fact, the market for these buildings is largely because they are not 20 story cookie cutter towers, and they offer a transition to a low rise, residential neighbourhood.

#402 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

23_07_20_Bellewood_0.jpg 23_07_20_Bellewood_1.jpg 23_07_20_Bellewood_2.jpg

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#403 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

The latest project update from Abstract says "Oaks roof screwing almost complete". 

I could't find a permit for that.

:cop:  :1954_dancing:

• Mike K., Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 1 other like this

#404 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

nice shots Torrontes - I assume you the crane operator?  Along Fort street those Gary oaks are crazy close to the building.  I remember protestors saying that the root systems of those would be destroyed and the trees would eventually die.  Still, I'm sure they can plant a few more here and there, I'm just happy that instead of a vacant parcel of land there will be dozens and dozens of new families living downtown, with a greatly reduced environmental footprint.  My pic from the other day.

50183623702_9e75525cac_h.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#405 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

The proximity to the oak trees reminds me of the new buildings on Christmas Hill. I would love it, being able to look right out onto the branches of those trees.

Along Fort street those Gary oaks are crazy close to the building.  I remember protestors saying that the root systems of those would be destroyed and the trees would eventually die.

Methinks they're probably right about the trees eventually dying, but otherwise it seems like we can't make up our minds re: the deleterious effects of large buildings close to oak trees. Prior to the chopping fetish going into overdrive, those trees used to be right up against schools and large houses and modern apartment buildings all over town. They still are, in many places.

#406 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

Methinks they're probably right about the trees eventually dying

All living things eventually die.

#407 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:55 PM

Jokes are always funnier when they're explained in full.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#408 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

Plant more trees wherever possible

• aastra likes this

#409 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

21st-century faux-environmentalists are generally opposed to that approach. Whenever the possibility of planting more oak trees or arbutus trees is raised, the response is always the same: it's a technical impossibility, those trees aren't the ideal species for the local environment, those trees are infrastructure-unfriendly, those trees are unsafe, etc.

#410 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Why even consider planting a half dozen Garry Oaks here in case they die? Would have been better off to leave the land the way it was. Instead fall a hundred or so less popular trees so this could be built in a less sensitive and important area like Metchosin or something. Even on ALR land because then ZERO trees would need to be cut down.. aha! Besides not many people who live near here go to Metchosin anyways, so it doesn't even count.
  • Nparker likes this

#411 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:04 PM

...less popular trees...

You're saying life is just a tree-popularity contest? Let me guess: the poplar trees always win and the un-poplar trees always lose?

#412 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:16 PM

Gosh, I'm so careless with my words! Let me clarify Aastra- we all know Garry Oaks are an important local poplar tree (not popular - my spelling mistake, plus a lot of people don't like them because they look scary, especially in the winter). So, where was I.. ah right, Garry Oaks are at the top of the poplar pecking order, they're 100 percent poplar, while other trees, like cedar, alder, Douglas fir (originally cross bred by Sir James Douglas) are less than 100 percent poplar.. just like a mixed breed dog. But they still have uses, like firewood and stuff.

#413 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:00 AM

And back from street level, August 6

Bellewood-Park-August-6-2020a.jpg

Bellewood-Park-August-6-2020b.jpg

Bellewood-Park-August-6-2020c.jpg Bellewood-Park-August-6-2020c.jpg

Bellewood-Park-August-6-2020d.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#414 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

North View.jpg

What happened to the "Stunning exterior façade of custom textured brick". All the renderings originally showed light gray tones, not the melange of dark brown colours on the Cypress building.

I think the brick colour detracts from the AI.

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

In that rendering you’re looking at the Oaks, by it’s the Cypress that’s in the photo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#416 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

Even so, the colour of the brick would seem to be darker than depicted in the illustrations. Not a big deal but personally I think the lighter stuff in the illustrations looks better.

• Nparker likes this

#417 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Would thinking be this project will be complete possibly before the fall/winter of 2021 as first targeted?

#418 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:13 PM

#419 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

East side of Cypress looking towards front entrance.

Attached Images

• 15_09_20_Bellewood_1.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#420 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

Brickwork proceeding on Oaks.

Attached Images

• 15_09_20_Bellewood_2A.jpg

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users