BUILT
Oaks at Bellewood Park
Use: condo
Address: 1201 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (sub-penthouse, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Bellewood Park offers a unique opportunity to experience nature – a place from which one can engage with the... (view full profile)
Learn more about Oaks at Bellewood Park on Citified.ca
Photo

[Rockland] Oaks, Cypress and Townhomes at Bellewood Park | Condos, townhomes | 6 and 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2022

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

...His concern, paraphrased, was that newly planted greenery would be genetically inferior to the site's existing flora.

Speciesist! All tree lives matter!

#122 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

I've raised the point before: why would we assume vehicle traffic would increase at all? The site has an existing use, with ample surface parking for what, maybe 40 cars? If you look at the Google streetview images you'll see more than a dozen cars parked there in the 2011 image. Traffic has been coming and going for ages, is my point. The question is, how much additional traffic could a small redevelopment possibly produce, if any? They're not building a big shopping centre or an office complex with acres of parking. No gas station, no drive-thru fast food outlets...

Just examine existing neighbourhood residential projects of similar magnitude, format, & price range. Do they ever produce legitimate traffic issues? I'm not saying they never do, I'm just saying we don't need to speculate. We've got all sorts of real precedents to consider.

The underground parking garage access is off of Fort St..  There are a total of only 17 spaces (including a few visitor spaces) that can be accessed via Pentrelew Place. The majority of parking is underground, including for the townhouses.

So what's the traffic issue?

Suggestions that there will be traffic issues are completely unfounded, unless you consider bicycle traffic. If all the residents in this development ride bikes and use the bike storage lockers, it will be chaos!

• aastra and Nparker like this

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Part two of this proposal's public hearing is scheduled for this Thursday at Victoria City Hall. The hearing begins at 7PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

Part two of this proposal's public hearing is scheduled for this Thursday at Victoria City Hall...

That gives me two days to sharpen my pitchfork  :farmer:

• Mike K. likes this

#125 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Yes, the NIMBYs were there at the last session, but there was also a large contingent of supporters. I got the sense that the naysayers were somewhat dumbfounded by the level of support displayed by a wide variety of speakers.  

• Nparker likes this

#126 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Given that the clear majority of speakers are in favour of the proposal, I am predicting that this one will pass.  The provisioning of affordable housing units in the nearby NVision proposal may even be enough sway Jeremy Loveday to vote in favour of this.

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

...The provisioning of affordable housing units in the nearby NVision proposal may even be enough sway Jeremy Loveday to vote in favour of this.

Only if Ben gives the OK first.

• AllseeingEye and pennymurphy2000 like this

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

Markedly smaller turn out at phase two of the public hearing.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

The mayor has just adjourned for a short break due to the clapping following the last (anti-) speaker...

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

Six in favour so far, three in opposition.

Know it all.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Eight.

Know it all.

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

A speaker is saying overbuilding is exacerbating affordability.

She says supply is not a solution to housing affordability.

Know it all.

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

She now says we have a housing surplus.

Know it all.

#134 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

Lolz the stupid...
  • jonny likes this

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

A speaker is saying overbuilding is exacerbating affordability. She says supply is not a solution to housing affordability.

How do people like this remember to breath?

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:33 PM

The level of crazy among the speakers is no where near that of the St. Andrew's school project. I see one NIMBY even came with a PowerPoint presentation - very cool if this was 1997.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

A speaker is saying Abstract is "extracting public amenities for private profit," or something to that effect.

It has been lost on many individuals, I think, that the church property was always private. The church allowed the public to utilize its property as a green space, but it was not a public asset in the same sense a municipal green space would have been.

Another speaker is currently saying that upcoming housing supply is more than enough to accommodate demand.

Know it all.

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Council tabled the decision for next Thursday.

Know it all.

#139 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

Council tabled the decision for next Thursday.

Is it any wonder it takes forever to get developments out of the ground in the CoV?

#140 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

One week is not an unreasonable delay under the circumstances. If the councilors did not take some time to reflect on the views expressed at a lengthy public hearing, then they could be accused of having gone into the session with a preconceived notion of how they would vote. That's not good from a public perception perspective. Residents have a right to express their views, however absurd, and have them considered in the decision-making process, even if they are ultimately given no weight.

I use the analogy of a court. The parties invest significant time and resources in presenting their respective cases. Typically the court will hear the parties and then adjourn to consider the evidence presented and deliver its decision later. Decisions are sometimes rendered from the bench, but only where one of the parties has not made out its case, or there is a need for expediency (such as an injunction). That is not this situation.

I am all for speed in municipal decision-making, but not at any cost.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users