BUILT
Oaks at Bellewood Park
Use: condo
Address: 1201 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (sub-penthouse, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Bellewood Park offers a unique opportunity to experience nature – a place from which one can engage with the... (view full profile)
Learn more about Oaks at Bellewood Park on Citified.ca
Photo

[Rockland] Oaks, Cypress and Townhomes at Bellewood Park | Condos, townhomes | 6 and 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2022

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

Massive, massive turn-out. City Hall is packed.

Would you expect anything less? The very welfare of the neighbourhood -- nay, the very welfare of the entire city, if not the entire province -- hangs in the balance as this mega-development tries to roll forward and crush everything that is pure and holy.

This thing practically oozes evil:

post-4001-0-20043800-1498513638.jpg

• Nparker, pseudotsuga, Coreyburger and 1 other like this

#102 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

Seriously though, for a minor and apparently attractive and high-quality development such as this to generate such an uproar... it's as if people have lost all direction or something.

• Nparker likes this

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

The townhouses were designed by Zebra, they look real nice.  Even if they are a bit faux heritage.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 April 2018 - 08:19 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#104 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

They couldn't afford to hire wildebeest?

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

...for a minor and apparently attractive and high-quality development such as this to generate such an uproar... it's as if people have lost all direction or something.

NIMBYism is the beating heart of much of the Victoria populace it seems.

#106 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

The public hearing will recess at midnight tonight and will reconvene at the next council meeting to allow all of the speakers a chance to speak. Thus, there will be no vote tonight...
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#107 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:31 AM

That happened with the Blue Sky Project and that got approved so who knows!
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

That happened with the Blue Sky Project and that got approved so who knows!

It's funny how NIMBYism works in this city. Who would have thought the anti-gentrification folks (Bluesky) and the Rockland BANANAs would have so much in common?

#109 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

So how contentious was the hearing?

Edited by grantpalin, 13 April 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

https://www.saanichn...t-by-emergency/

A medical emergency for a person inside the City Hall chambers late Thursday night cut short an already long public hearing for the Abstract Developments condominium/townhouse project proposed for 1201 Fort St. and 1050 Pentrelew Pl.

The hearing will be continued at the next scheduled council meeting, April 26. But last night an overwhelming majority of speakers coming up to the microphone voiced support for the project, for reasons ranging from the need for more housing for workers from the tech sector, to the quality and care Abstract takes on its projects, to the fact the site is on a major transportation route to and from the nearby downtown.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

To me, one of the most poignant speakers was the owner of Van Meare Manor (a 3-storey apartment block) on Vancouver Street near Rockland Avenue.  He said that he had spoken out against Abstract's plans to build The Emerson on Rockland Avenue as he feared that it would be too dense and draw too much traffic.  He said that he was mistaken then (when he spoke to council) and has come around to realizing that the Emerson is a great addition to the neighbourhood.  And he used this background to explain why he supports Bellwood Park.

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

I hope the whole traffic thing, for residential buildings, is just getting old.   It's nearly insignificant to the local area. 

• aastra, Nparker and nagel like this

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

I always point people to the Songhees. Count how many cars travel to and from an area with many hundreds of residences with two primary access roads.

• aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

I hope the whole traffic thing, for residential buildings, is just getting old.   It's nearly insignificant to the local area.

I've raised the point before: why would we assume vehicle traffic would increase at all? The site has an existing use, with ample surface parking for what, maybe 40 cars? If you look at the Google streetview images you'll see more than a dozen cars parked there in the 2011 image. Traffic has been coming and going for ages, is my point. The question is, how much additional traffic could a small redevelopment possibly produce, if any? They're not building a big shopping centre or an office complex with acres of parking. No gas station, no drive-thru fast food outlets...

Just examine existing neighbourhood residential projects of similar magnitude, format, & price range. Do they ever produce legitimate traffic issues? I'm not saying they never do, I'm just saying we don't need to speculate. We've got all sorts of real precedents to consider.

• Nparker likes this

#115 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

I would venture to say that nearly all residents who purchase a home here and work downtown (I believe that the urban core including downtown, Vic West, and James Bay accounts for almost 80% of the office space in the region) will walk or bike to their offices.  It's not a perfect tool, but the WalkScore website assigns a score of 92/100 ("Walker's Paradise") to 1201 Fort Street.  Note that this score will likely increase once Black + White is completed and the street-level retail amenities are loaded into the Google maps database (which is what WalkScore draws its base data from).

• Nparker likes this

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

Absolutely! There's no doubt here that these homes will be snapped up by folks who want to make the most out of a downtown Victoria lifestyle without necessarily living in the downtown core.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

#Treesnothomes

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

I also suspect the higher the price, the less chance you have of daily 9-5 workers.   So less stress on the peak traffic times.  

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

So is it "Bellwood" or "Bellewood"?

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

One of the more out of the ordinary comments from last night was courtesy of a gentleman who was concerned about the genetic make-up of trees planted at the property. His concern, paraphrased, was that newly planted greenery would be genetically inferior to the site's existing flora.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users