Photo

Canada's 150th: The countdown is on!

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

If you are planning any Canada travel next year you might want to order your free National Parks pass.

http://www.commandes...let/en/parksb2c

Did you order one? What a laborious process that was. Couldn't they just wave everybody in? 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Did you order one? What a laborious process that was. Couldn't they just wave everybody in? 

I guess they still want to get some fees from tourists. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

^Wouldn't it be cheaper to just not "man" the gate?

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,717 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Penny-wise, but pound foolish. I would imagine a LOT of national park visitors rely on the staff at park entrances to advise them on services and general information about the parks they are visiting.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

Yes, but if they use the data they collect on this endeavour well, it can be valuable in subsequent years.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

i imagine they can still bring in some revenue from unknowing visitors, or tourists from outside of Canada

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

And they've now got a slew of people who they can market to in subsequent years :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

yes, I ordered one.  Labourious?  geez a minute or 2 to give my name and address for them to send me the pass.   I wasted more time posting the link to this thread.

• Nparker, tedward and LeoVictoria like this

#29 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

+1 it was pretty easy. Woohoo no more having to lie to the staff at the Banff gate about just passing through.

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

I guess they still want to get some fees from tourists. 

The scalpers can turn some profit during tourist season.

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

The scalpers can turn some profit during tourist season.

No scalping, just rent for half the usual entry fee.

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

yes, I ordered one.  Labourious?  geez a minute or 2 to give my name and address for them to send me the pass.   I wasted more time posting the link to this thread.

Four different pages to go through, slow loading at that, ridiculous. And you only need one for every carload of people so you could be hauling in 6 foreigners with you, no revenue there. Silly idea, just wave people through at the gate and say Happy 150th Canada as they go in. 

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

taxis.jpg

Here's a guide to catching taxes like a boss on New Years Eve. There's a technique to getting to the front of the line, if you know where to go!

Here's the premise: the majority of Victoria's cab drivers are going to drop off their fares and race back to downtown Victoria where revellers will be a dime a dozen. Standing in front of a bar or a club, or being within the entertainment centre of downtown, means you'll be competing with everyone else for limited cab inventory. So get ahead of the competition, literally, by taking a short stroll and avoiding a lengthy wait.

Vic West: scoot across the Johnson Street Bridge and hang out on Esquimalt Road at Harbour Road. Cabs heading towards downtown Victoria after dropping off fares in Vic West/Esquimalt will inevitably use Esquimalt Road or Bay Street, so if you're already in downtown Victoria, head west to catch empty cabs before they cross into downtown.

Government/Douglas/Blanshard at Fisgard: same idea as above, intercept cabs heading back to town after dropping off fares north of downtown.

Yates/Pandora at Quadra: cabs heading west from points east will inevitably use Yates and Pandora as the quickest routes back into downtown Victoria. Stand at Quadra Street to intercept them, or better yet, head further east to ensure even less competition.

Government/Douglas/Blanshard at Belleville: intercept cabs heading north from James Bay before they enter downtown.

Friendly reminder: if your buddy can't hold his liquor and looks like a New Years Eve nightmare, cabbies might not pick you up. It's a fairly common practice for drivers to seek greener pastures when confronted with intoxicated would-be passengers.

Friendly reminder #2: some cab drivers will insist they only accept cash on NYE. This is a no-no. Cabbies cannot refuse you a ride if you decline to pay cash. Some will try, but you'll now be wiser and will remind them of their responsibility to accept all listed forms of payment. If you arrive at your destination and the cabbie insists that the fare must be paid in cash and that's not on your agenda, insist that you can pay with any payment option described on the cab and in the cab. If the driver doesn't play along, record the cab number, the driver's details and leave the taxi. You'll have the cabbie begging for your debit card before you know it.

Other options

Public transit: BC Transit will operate all bus routes as per the regular Saturday schedule, which means Saturday late-night service will be available. Check BC Transit's schedules here to confirm the last downtown departure for your route.

Private drivers: head over to Craigslist or UsedVictoria and check out the running inventory of drivers willing to offer rides (for a fee) on NYE. You might be surprised at the volume of people who will get you and your friends to your destination on NYE.

• sebberry and weirdie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

Friendly reminder #2: if you are a male/female couple, send the female out to hail the cab while you lurk in the shadows.   It's a fairly common practice for drivers to seek single ladies when confronted with other would-be passengers mixes.  Also, buckle up and be careful crossing the road in front of taxis.

2016 sex assault

2016 impaired taxi driver

2008 sex assault

2002 cabs runs over, kills fare on Oak Bay Ave.

• sebberry likes this

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

That's friendly reminder #3!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

Dear Rouge, playing at 8pm tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKq53_imZzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQ_OoNl5v4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaw6ea8MDDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5gx-ZNjeE

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

Victoria will unite with cities across Canada for NYE celebration

Nineteen cities across Canada, including Victoria, will unite in a fight night celebration on Saturday to ring in 2017 and honour Canada’s 150th year.

Fight night?

Organizers are taking direction from Ottawa, which is chipping in $224,000 for the festivities.

This means fireworks in Victoria will begin at 9 p.m. so they coincide with the nation’s capital.

http://vancouverisla...ation-1.3223292

Let's fact-check that unity:

1.  Victoria - YES, fireworks at 9pm only to match Ottawa

2.  Vancouver - MAYBE, fireworks at 9pm AND MIDNIGHT

3.  Calgary - NO, midnight

4.  Edmonton - NO, 8:30pm and midnight

5.  Whitehorse - YES, 9pm fireworks 

6.  Regina - NO - 6pm fireworks 

7.  Saskatoon - NO, 8:17pm fireworks (20:17)

8.  Winnipeg - NO, 8pm and midnight

9.  Toronto - SAME time zone

10. Iqualuat - NO, 8:17pm fireworks

11.  Ottawa - SAME time zone

12.  Montreal - SAME time zone

13.  Quebec City - SAME time zone

14. Fredericton - will have earlier event

15. Moncton - will have earlier event

16. Charlottetown - SAME time zone

17. Halifax - will have earlier event

18. St. John's - will have earlier event

19.  Yellowknife - NO, 8:17pm

http://canada.pch.gc...73870972268#a16

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

How much would it cost for Victoria to have fireworks starting at 9 PM and letting a couple of flares off every 5 minutes, ending at midnight.

The taxpayers won't complain too much if they're looking for the best bang for their buck, while getting to bring in the New Year with a couple of extra bangs.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

The RBCM harbour webcam is showing extremely light crowds to start things off tonight.

http://royalbcmuseum...channel/web-cam

5:00 PM – Welcome Blessing by Elder Elmer George and Suzie Thomas
5:04 PM – Greetings from Chief Ron Sam of the Songhees Nation and Chief Edward Thomas of the Esquimalt Nation 
5:10 PM – Lekwungen Dancers
5:25 PM – Esquimalt Singers and Dancers
5:38 PM – Prime Minister’s Address
5:43 PM – O Canada (École Campus View Elementary School)
5:45 PM – Harbour Ferry Ballet
6:00 PM – Jérémie & The Delicious Hounds
6:10 PM – Trial Bike Performance at Ship Point
6:40 PM – Harbour Ferry Ballet
6:55 PM – Alex Cuba
7:10 PM – Trial Bike Performance at Ship Point
7:45 PM – Mayor Lisa Helps Reads Address from Canadian Heritage
7:48 PM – Canadian Heritage Video in English and French
7:57 PM – Queen’s Address
8:00 PM – Dear Rouge
8:15 PM – Trial Bikes Performance at Ship Point
9:00 PM – Fireworks

I bet the beer garden is the only lively spot.  Oh, wait...

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

Whoever is going to the harbour event better bundle up. It's brutal out there, and the wind is expected to get stronger as the evening wears on.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users