• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Crowds are picking up now.

You know, looking at that entertainment line-up, it's not stellar.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

such freaking boring events. does the target demo really wanna hear a native chief? i bet calgary is having way better events and proper midnight fireworks

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

such freaking boring events. does the target demo really wanna hear a native chief? i bet calgary is having way better events and proper midnight fireworks

Probably no more or less than they want to hear Lisa Helps.

Calgary has 54.40 BTW.  A bit of a tough band for the young crowds to get into.

The problem is when you get a bunch of money thrown at you (I know a person on the Victoria organizing crew and they wondered how the heck there were going to spend it all) then things go badly.  Who cares what you produce, how much you spend, who comes.  This is gravy for Atomique (producing it).  They have never had less worry.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

TC reporting that about 500 people showed up VS the 20,000 the Mayor predicted and budgeted for.

I realize that this is Victoria's year of reconciliation and that we must right all of our wrongs, but FN dancers and a speech from the Mayor? Who thought the crowds would line up for that?

Edited by spanky123, 31 December 2016 - 07:27 PM.

• rjag likes this

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

TC reporting that about 500 people showed up VS the 20,000 the Mayor predicted and budgeted for.

I realize that this is Victoria's year of reconciliation and that we must right all of our wrongs, but FN dancers and a speech from the Mayor? Who thought the crowds would line up for that?

Well, since they treated us like children and made the thing 5-9pm (what event ever starts at 5pm?) it's no surprise.

People will show for the fireworks though.

• weirdie likes this

#46 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Where are the fireworks being launched from?  Also it's the middle of winter, I'm not sure I'd want to go see any sort of outdoor standing event in weather like this.

Edited by Baro, 31 December 2016 - 07:51 PM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

Where are the fireworks being launched from?

Space.  New concept, firing them down.

j/k.  Nobody seems to know.

But my guess for good viewing with limited crowds is the Laurel Point walkway or WestSong.

#48 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

Getting ready...

31979603006_2ab0cb669d_h.jpg

31900785641_cba0c766cf_h.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry and todd like this

#49 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

TC article is claiming "thousands" of onlookers packing the streets.

#50 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

I'll be posting some more in the Fireworks thread...  http://vibrantvictor...works/?p=359120

32018674265_548abb7768_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 31 December 2016 - 10:36 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#51 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

TC article is claiming "thousands" of onlookers packing the streets.

I was there for the whole thing. It started really thin but by 730pm it was packed!!

#52 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

It was ok but really nothing particularly earth shaking; we perched on the end of the wharf at Ship Point and had an unobstructed view of the fireworks, which were launched from in front of Ocean Pointe. They were actually pretty good.

We simply wandered around for a bit by the Empress after we arrived, grabbed a (terrible!) burger from a food cart then went to grab our spot for the FW.

Ignored the main stage altogether as Ms. Helps was doing her thing when we got there (most of which was unintelligible over the loudspeakers), followed by whatever band has been booked to play the main stage; neither one seemed to be able to inspire the crowd. I've heard more crowd noise in the men's washroom at a Canucks game. I would guesstimate the crowd at maybe 10-12000, tops. As expected the majority including us left the d/t once the fireworks were finished. Didn't seem to be an issue for most catching taxis or buses; we got the first bus headed toward our neighborhood with no difficulty. Police were in evidence but kept a low profile. Lots of families and kids, and no shenanigans that I noticed.....

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:01 AM

We watched the fireworks from my place then called it a night. Literally. This was the first year I didn't party and you know what? It's kinda nice not to have headache this morning!
  • rjag and AllseeingEye like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

The fireworks show was good but they could have skipped the bands and the mayor speaking. Traffic was super light coming and going and easy parking so it was not well attended at all. 

Edited by victoriassecret, 01 January 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

Yes, there were far fewer people miling about downtown than I seem to recall from years past.

I guess the concern over transportation kept many people home or close to home, and with the prospect of snow (which we did get overnight!) just sealed the deal for many revellers.

Actually this was, for some reason, the least inspiring NYE I seem to recall. Parties were cancelled, folks stayed home, some folks didn't even stay up to ring in the New Year. Odd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

The bar I left at 9:14pm was full.

I did not realize that the Empress and Leg lawns were off-limits last night.  Huh.  If we are going to have a street-only party, we should do it all along Government St. (I know, I know...)

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

I did not realize that the Empress and Leg lawns were off-limits last night.  

Empress I can see, it's private, but the Legislature?  I guess winter/rain/mud/ruined lawn was a concern. 

How quickly were the police clearing the streets of people last night?  Must be a bit odd to wrap up NYE celebrations at 9:15 with thousands of people suddenly looking for a way to ring in the New Year.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#58 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Aren't we in the middle of Canada's 150th year right now? It started last Canada Day didn't it?

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

I think we're still 149.5, no?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

Aren't we in the middle of Canada's 150th year right now? It started last Canada Day didn't it?

No, we hit 150 on the 1st.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users