Photo

[Langford] Axe & Barrel Pub and Brewery | 2323 Millstream Road

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

Rumour has it that the menu is about to change at the Axe & Barrel. From what I hear they're going to be bringing back more items that you'd consider pub grub. The customer numbers haven't been stellar. People that were used to the Loghouse have been staying away partly due to the weird bistro bbq menu and partly to the escalated prices. I doubt prices will go down but it will be good to have more choices on what is a fairly small menu.

#2 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Rumour has it that the menu is about to change at the Axe & Barrel. From what I hear they're going to be bringing back more items that you'd consider pub grub. The customer numbers haven't been stellar. People that were used to the Loghouse have been staying away partly due to the weird bistro bbq menu and partly to the escalated prices. I doubt prices will go down but it will be good to have more choices on what is a fairly small menu.

Been there hundreds of times prior to A&B and since new opening.. result: "they have completely missed the mark"   Unfortunately for them, they have lost a lot of customers for too many reasons to list, and now to 'right the ship' is going to be very difficult.   This industry is tough.

• 57WestHills likes this

#3 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Well, when you take a long standing business, get rid of most of the atmosphere and menu that brings your established clientele in and increase all the prices from $3 to $5, I'm shocked that it didn't go over well.

I think the brews they make are pretty good, but their pub side is a mess. When you have Bin 4, Darcy's and Brown's Social House all a few minutes away, A&B had a more restrictive menu than any of them, with less selection (particularly for those with dietary issues) and at prices that make your eyes water.

Seriously, if I want a late night burger and beer, Bin 4 sells a great burger starting for $11 and half price after 9:30. A&B's burger (which has peanut butter on it) is like $17. Sorry, not my kind of place.

I have no idea how they can figure it out. Turn back time, I guess?

• 57WestHills likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

$17?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Yeah it's outrageous and not that great.

#6 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

$17 is quite reasonable for fine dining in a classy restaurant with a view.

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

Bacon cheeseburger at earls with a flaccid side is $16.50.  $16 is not too much for a decent, fresh 200g burger with some stuff on it.

Matt.

#8 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Bacon cheeseburger at earls with a flaccid side is $16.50.  $16 is not too much for a decent, fresh 200g burger with some stuff on it.

Matt.

...and of course the 'service' is important to mention, which can help in justifying cost.  Good service is important... like deposits into the bank.  

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

Earls bacon cheddar burger is $16, and it's a beast.

Their standard burger is $14.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Ha. It was 16.50 in Jasper and was no beast. Maybe I am getting spoiled by my own cooking. :)

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#11 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

Went to the "Grand Opening" tonight. More like a relaunch. They've revamped the menu to include some old pub favourites. They were handing out free samples of appies, desserts, and booze which was pretty awesome. We could've just had those and foregone ordering off the menu and been satisfied. My wife had the turkey club and I had the pulled pork sandwich. Hers was fine but mine was weird. It came with cheese on top and lettuce and tomato like it was a burger instead of the usual slaw that comes on a pullled pork sandwich. I took the lettuce and tomato off (couldn't take the cheese off) and it was fine. the place was packed. The owner, Ron, was there and he gave a speech about how he was returning things to their Loghouse roots and giving the people what they want. They've also managed to hire back a portion of their original kitchen and serving staff (for better or worse). All in all it was a good experience. I recommend trying it again.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

What were the prices like?

Know it all.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

What were the prices like?

You'd think they'd post their menu.  But instead, their website is busted.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

Prices were pretty much the same (on the high side) but I didn't really care since they were plying me with free samples of liquor. You could tell their drink menus were hastily assembled at the last minute. They had vinyl labels printed somewhere and then most likely had the staff apply them to cover up the old sheets back and front. I just wish they had more beers on tap. Since I don't like IPAs my choices are the Session Lager or the Witbier.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and 57WestHills like this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Thanks to VHF for putting the pieces together.

Popular Langford pub listed for sale at $6-million

http://victoria.citi...illion-dollars/

Know it all.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Langford’s Axe & Barrel Pub on Millstream Rd. up for sale at $3,700,000

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Almost half off!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

Almost half off!

Hold out for the Black Friday Sale next month!

• sdwright.vic likes this

#19 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Seems the new asking price is closer to reality. E-ValueBC says it's worth 3.4 million.

#20 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Well, it appears they didn't actually lower the price. The 3.7 million figure is for the pub only, they are selling the brewery separately.

Axe and Barrel split up for sale

Owner focused on major development in Lake Cowichan

“There was little interest in purchasing the whole thing,” said Cheeke, who has owned the business with his wife, Diana for the past 17 years. “There’s not a lot of people walking around with $5.5 million in their pocket.” When the original listing with Collliers International expired, he decided to list with Victoria Realty. They suggested splitting the asking price into $3.7 for the land and building, and $1.275 million for brewery, pub and all equipment and assets. “It made more sense, and there’s been a lot more activity already,” he noted.

https://www.goldstre...it-up-for-sale/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users