Verde Living
Use: condo
Address: 826 Esquimalt Road
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Verde Living is a six-storey condominium development situated along the 800-block of Esquimalt Road in the Tow... (view full profile)
Learn more about Verde Living on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Verde Living | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

A lot of people nowadays would do nasty things to get the pricing offered by this project back then, the slight dinginess of the area could be easily excused.

#42 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:06 AM

Why?

i said there were no bad parts of town.  but i can't think of a worse one than this.  that's all.  it's a fine area.  it's just that all other areas are better.  all other areas either have less street riff-raff and/or more amenities close.  spring/ridge in fernwood used to be bad.  it'd rather live there than this part of esquimalt.  the corazon is in a lousy area right at the doorstep but makes up for it in that all of downtown is right there.  i'm not sure what all is "right there" in this part of esquimalt.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2018 - 04:09 AM.

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:11 AM

the poster is looking for a rental.   not a 15-year long-term plan.  i'd pass on this one.

• 1vanguy likes this

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

Ocean views, 20-minute walk to downtown along the Harbour front, million dollar condos one block away, one of the most frequent bus routes in the city, several grocery stores in both directions, far less crime than many other areas of the CRD, and less property taxes than in Victoria.

There’s also two massive green spaces (one behind the building, one kitty corner to the building). For a dog person this is an ideal location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

the poster is looking for a rental. not a 15-year long-term plan. i'd pass on this one.

He is also looking at possible buying (from the moving to Victoria thread).
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

Esquimalt’s real-estate values have surged something like 300% over the last 15 years. I have no idea what Victoria Watcher’s issue is.

And those values remain significantly undervalued more or less because a perception still exists that it’s a “worse” part of town. The smart money is funneling into Esquimalt and has been for quite some time.

For the record I don’t even live there, but I went to school there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

I just can't think of a worse place (to rent) in the core if you want quality shopping/cafes nearby and low street crime.  what do you guys have?  maybe Hillside/Cook would be worse?  at least the mall is nearby.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2018 - 08:14 AM.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

There’s less street crime in Esquimalt than in Victoria, though.

Just look at the crime stats map. Esquimalt is a sprinkle of incidents compared to the CoV.

You’ve got Spinnakers a short stroll away (brewpub and restaurant), you’ve got the Esquimalt Wholesale Club run by President’s Choice with prices equal to SuperStore (cheapest in the region for many items) two blocks away. There’s an A&W and a Tim Hortons a minute up the street, etc. And those green spaces! For a dog person you can’t get better than that.

Now when Bayview builds its commercial centre (four blocks away? Maybe five?) you’ll have the newest marketplace in the region. And maybe VanGuy has a yacht which he can park at the International Marina next to Spinnakers.

Know it all.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:24 AM

still nobody has come up with a worse place in the core.   i'm not saying it's hell just that there is no place worse.  rock bay i guess but there are no condos there and only one apartment building.  i'd rather live on gorge rd. than right on esquimalt road.

i know street crime is higher in victoria but at least for part or most of it it's offset by being downtown and close to better stuff.

i also think it's always 2 bus trips for people to go anywhere from esquimalt rd. except downtown.  mall, grocery other than country grocer.  no big deal i have a car for grocery shopping but it's different for others.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, but that’s the case anywhere you live. If cafes and more than one bus route are your measure then 80% of the CRD is worse off than Esquimalt Road.

You don’t think Burnside between Douglas and Tillicum is worse than Esquimalt between Head Street and the Johnson Street Bridge, if going by your measure? All there is along that stretch is a 7/11 in the middle with retail bookends (Tillicum Centre on one end, that retail complex with the Tim Hortons on the other)

Gorge, too. There again is just a Tim Hortons and some pubs (two or three?). Plus you’ve got a shelter nearby and supportive housing (also in close proximity to Burnside).

Quadra between the Pat Bay Highway and Hillside Avenue is a dead zone for commercial other than one retail complex.

I mean there’s an infinite list of streets that I’d rate far worse in terms of location than Esquimalt Road where Verde is located. And unlike Verde none of those locations are 150m from the ocean.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#51 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

burnside might be tied for the worst then.  it does have the one quick bus to the mall though.  esq. road does not have that.

#52 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

i also think it's always 2 bus trips for people to go anywhere from esquimalt rd. except downtown. mall, grocery other than country grocer. no big deal i have a car for grocery shopping but it's different for others.

From Esquinalt Rd there is the 15 to Downtown and the 26 to Tillicum Mall. Esquimalt ha Country Grocery and Red Barn Market, three liquor stores, a bakery, several restaurants, a Pharmasave, Shoppers, two Tim's, a couple of the nicest water front parks in the area, and is very walkable.

#53 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

^and a pretty new and modern rec centre.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

verde to the #26 at Lampson is at least a 10-minute walk i'd think.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#55 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

A one minute walk? That's horrible! 🙄

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

Yes, 700 meters, about 10 mins. You’d actually walk along Old Esquimalt Road to the 26 at Lampson.

Know it all.

#57 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

Google Maps shows an 11 minute walk.. which in reality is most likely a 6-7 minute walk.

#58 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

I just can't think of a worse place (to rent) in the core if you want quality shopping/cafes nearby and low street crime. what do you guys have? maybe Hillside/Cook would be worse? at least the mall is nearby.

I have a hate-on for Quadra village for some reason so i can relate

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Oh, and Highrock Park/The Cairn are short close! 10 minute walk. That’s an amazing green space.

Know it all.

#60 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Or walk to shoppers and cut across the park and hit Lampson on the other side.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 26 August 2018 - 09:02 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users