The 881 at Uptown
Uses: condo, rental
Address: 881 Short Street
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 881 is a six-storey condominium and rental project along the 800-block of Short Street in the District of ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the 881 at Uptown on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] The 881 at Uptown | Six-storeys | Condos | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

851-881-Short-Street.jpg

61-unit condo project eyed for Short Street near Uptown Shopping Centre

http://victoria.citi...hopping-centre/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

Google Earth puts 851 Short Street exactly at the Saanich Road intersection. What is currently on the site of this proposal?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Google Earth puts 851 Short Street exactly at the Saanich Road intersection. What is currently on the site of this proposal?

http://www.saanichne.../363291931.html

• posted Dec 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM

If not for a Saanich Police officer’s presence in the area on Sunday morning a vacant residence on Short Street would likely have burnt to a far greater degree.

The officer was on patrol in the area of Uptown when they called in the structure fire at 5:27 a.m. for the boarded-up, two-storey residential home at 851 Short St.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

If you click on the profile link above, the location will be there. Google Earth incorrectly identifies the location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

GE must have its numbers mixed up. I am guessing it's these 4 houses.

short.JPG

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Trivia

The Victoria-Sidney Railway tracks went along Blanshard behind Mayfair Mall, through the land occupied by the Shaw on Cloverdale Ave,

and up the incline along Short Street and across the area occupied by UpTown.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#7 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Not far from this area is Alder Street which runs from Tolmie to Finlayson across form Mayfair mall. they are all war time homes constructed in the late 40's

A fellow named Dave Lloyd who owns a local business called Victoria Drain at 32 Regina ,

has been buying up properties on Alder street where he lives. His plan, once he buys up a few more on the one side of the street is to apply for rezoning with the purpose of building a large rental apartment building after the homes are torn down.

This general are from uptown to Mayfair will probably see a lot of higher density housing going in

The google map shows in yellow pins the homes that Mr Lloyd already owns about 5 of the 8 pictured

• nagel likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, that whole stretch between Hillside and Saanich won't be recognizable in 20 years.

Look at what's happened in Vic West since the early 1990's.
  • Nparker and nagel like this

Know it all.

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

The development permit was approved Oct 30, 2017. 23 BR and 38 two BR units. 10 rental units secured through a 10 year housing agreement.

Here's the final rendering, and the full report to Council (with additional plans and elevations) is online here: http://www.saanich.c...toct3017rcw.pdf

25542303_1669073019843511_200376664035716551_o.jpg

• jonny likes this

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

^ However, the DP will not be ratified until all of the covenants are fully registered (i.e. the housing agreement)

#11 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

This now live and for sale -> http://www.the881.com/

One bedrooms (decent size @ 640 sq/ft) starting at 375 gst included.

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Overall it's an attractive looking building.

front.jpg

back.jpg

I am just not fond of the exterior, exposed stairwell. IMHO it cheapens the look and is reminiscent of 1960s motels.

stairs.JPG

#13 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Perusing the amenities list on the website, was kinda taken by the following line under The Interiors:

• Smart wired including CAT6e, cable and fibre optic

Pre-wired for ethernet is a big plus in this day and age, plus support for fibre optic!

Floor plans look decent as well, no tiny units here.

Edited by grantpalin, 25 March 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

^ isn't that rather standard on any new build these days, especially condo buildings?

#15 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

yes, my house all has that.  But a lot of people cheap out and don't put in jacks around the house and just have wifi.  It makes a big difference when you have Netflix and 3 people are trying to watch Netflix independently plus play on their phone and the internet because Netflix will start to stall.

#16 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

^ isn't that rather standard on any new build these days, especially condo buildings?

I don't know, but then I have no involvement in modern construction or renovation. I have been reading up on what it takes to run ethernet through an existing structure. Could be a little bit of work or a lot of work depending on circumstances. In any case, if I ever get to the point of buying a residence I will favour any with CAT cable already run, or be planning to do it myself.

#17 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Further to above, I rarely see mention of pre-run ethernet cabling in housing marketing materials, so it caught my attention in this case.

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Most houses are still run for phone lines. Typically they just use Cat5e or 6 now, and then just use less of the actual wires if only doing RJ-11 jacks.  I have a fairly entry/mid level condo on the mainland that pre-ran Cat 5e everywhere, 10 years ago. First thing I did when I bought it was terminate each end and plug them into a router.

My house here, had to run wires, which is a PITA for sure. Did it anyways, so much better than Wifi overall.

#19 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

Just noticed heat-pumps as well. A bit of a premium wood-framed building.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#20 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Ya, even if ethernet lines are terminated for phone use, they can be re-terminated for ethernet. Dependent on the shape of the run, whether it was done point-to-point or in a star formation tying back to a single location.

My folks are moving house in about a month to a cute little rancher in C. Saanich and I have considered offering to run ethernet cables for them. I'd get the experience and they'd get better performance than wifi only.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users