59 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

LES LEYNE TIMES COLONIST
NOVEMBER 1, 2016 12:55 AM

"Always willing to help and generous to a fault, allow me to pitch — absolutely free — some sure-fire political ideas anyone can use to build a winning Vancouver Island election strategy.

Premier Christy Clark made some headlines last week by announcing the B.C. Liberals are going to have a specific Island platform for next Spring’s campaign.

It will amount to a 10-year economic and investment plan for the Island. In what was

interpreted as either a threat or promise, she said Vancouver Island ‘‘deserves the government’s

full attention.”

........  EDITED for length - VHF

• Campgrounds.

The government says about 200 new provincial campsites have been created in B.C. over the past few years. It’s not nearly enough. Parks and campgrounds aren’t getting the attention they need. Vancouver Island is a

recreation destination that’s coming up short on quality campgrounds, further hampered by block

booking that cuts into availability even more —2020 new campsites by 2020!

http://www.timescolo...seats-1.2401576

• Jill likes this

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hmm, that's all the ideas? Low hanging fruit. Let's come up with a better VV list ( a realistic one, this time ).

#3 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

Those are pretty thin ideas, likely to lead to the same kind of success they've already enjoyed.

I'd add the following:

1. Binding Referendum on CORE amalgamation of the Capital (Oak Bay, Saanich, Esquimalt and Victoria) and the West Shore (View Royal, Langford, Colwood, Metchosin).

2. Transportation infrastructure between West Shore and Victoria (LRT to downtown possible passenger ferry between West Shore and DT). 

3. Integrated strategy on homelessness and mental health - here, make Victoria less of a Mecca - spread resources across the province, so that maybe, people might just stay where they are...

4. Childcare - continues to be an endemic problem, again it doesn't matter if it's cheap if the spaces aren't there to begin with (which is the critical flaw in the NDP's 10$/day whether you need it or not plan).

5. Ferries - differentiate the market.  Offer different fares for "Island Residents" than for others...

• Nparker, tedward, Greg and 3 others like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

- Container port in Port Alberni
- a serious resolution of the Malahat problem
- highway interchange at Tillicum and TCH
- highway interchange at Beacon and Sayward along HEY 17
- lengthening of YYJ's runway
  • tedward, Greg and David Bratzer like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

- Container port in Port Alberni...

Something tells me the container port won't get dangled as election bait.

Plans for a new highway linking Port Alberni to Highway 19 via Horne Lake struck a dead end Tuesday when Transportation Minister Todd Stone rejected the project as too expensive...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.OfhWkqYH.dpuf

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Promise me a bridge across the Saanich Inlet and you've got my vote.
  • qwerty likes this

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

Promise me a bridge across the Saanich Inlet and you've got my vote.

Promises are cheap. Commitments are very pricey.

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

I think it's hilarious and infuriating that they are studying a bridge to the Sunshine Coast, with it's population of 30,000 or so, meanwhile, we're stuck with that cattle trail through Goldstream Park. 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

4. Childcare - continues to be an endemic problem, again it doesn't matter if it's cheap if the spaces aren't there to begin with (which is the critical flaw in the NDP's 10$/day whether you need it or not plan).

I keep hearing this lament coupled with how expensive it is.

Why aren't more people opening day care centers up, it can obviously be terrifically profitable?

Why drive into work during rush hour when you could stay home and make big cash?

If you have kids and can't find or afford day care, stay home and look after them and one or two or more. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

Why aren't more people opening day care centers up, it can obviously be terrifically profitable?

Why drive into work during rush hour when you could stay home and make big cash?

If you have kids and can't find or afford day care, stay home and look after them and one or two or more. 

its catering to a specific group, like "we wont raise student fees" words are meaningless but some unsuspecting shmuk thinks these are promises that will be kept.....they have no clue it simply means that taxpayers fund it....but they dont realise they are the taxpayer

#11 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

- Container port in Port Alberni

How does that help anything?  Sail (slowly?) up the Alberni Canal, unload onto rail cars, rail to Nanaimo, and then rail ferry to Vancouver, sort, and then re-rail to intended destination.  Or, down the strait of JdF, through the Gulf Islands into the SofG, and unload onto rail at Roberts Bank.  you'd think that the shipping route, while longer, might be faster, and cost less..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

It would save about a day or so in each direction for shipping companies. That would yield a massive savings with huge implications for global shippers and their clients.

The BC government doesn't want to see a terminal in that location because it would present major competition for Vancouver terminals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

The reality is that there are ridings on VI that are never going to vote Liberal. The Libs are far better off to invest in the ridings which are close or support their core.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:19 AM

The reality is that there are ridings on VI that are never going to vote Liberal. 

Except just 15 years ago when every single Vancouver Island riding voted Liberal.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

Promises are cheap. Commitments are very pricey.

Not a big problem for a politician.  Fund the bridge based on "future tolls" and by the time that it's clear it's not paying down the capital investment your political shelf life was already past anyways.  Not your problem it gets assimilated into general provincial debt.

#16 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

Its not as easy as you think. The average family has two parents working and just staying home makes no sense, if you are a single parent you need daycare because family isnt always an option.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

I guess because "expensive" is a relative term.  Ya, it's expensive to pay $50/day for childcare, compared to letting Aunt Bee take the kids.

It's too bad we could not just give kids some type of pill, or injection, and have them sleep another 9 hours each day while we work.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

I think it's hilarious and infuriating that they are studying a bridge to the Sunshine Coast, with it's population of 30,000 or so, meanwhile, we're stuck with that cattle trail through Goldstream Park. 

Well its not a cattle trail and because the highway goes through a provincial park and borders a watershed, you arent going to see a bypass anytime soon. Building a bypass would be devastating to the local environment. The current highway works, its just the morons that cant drive that are causing the issues.

#19 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

I guess because "expensive" is a relative term.  Ya, it's expensive to pay $50/day for childcare, compared to letting Aunt Bee take the kids.

It's too bad we could not just give kids some type of pill, or injection, and have them sleep another 9 hours each day while we work.

Not everyone has family to help look after their kids. As for the pill idea, that would be irresponsible parenting, those people shouldnt be parents in the first place.

#20 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

Well from reading the posts, what ideas would you put forward? Its too easy to bash someone elses ideas, but it takes a lot of thought to come up with better ones. The election is next spring, which isnt far away, and if the Liberals are serious in "winning" votes or giving us islanders more attention, then perhaps a wish list is in order?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users