#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Sorry, what?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

I've learned here that Whole Foods sometimes is busier than you might expect, and sometimes it seems less busy than you might expect.

Fascinating. Keep it up, guys.

• Mike K., Nparker, weirdie and 7 others like this

#103 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

I've learned here that Whole Foods sometimes is busier than you might expect, and sometimes it seems less busy than you might expect.

Fascinating. Keep it up, guys.

So, in summation, Whole Foods is just like any other normal grocery store. Case solved everyone...we did it! Let's hit the bar!

• 57WestHills likes this

#104 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

whole foods might get bought out by albertsons, I wonder how that will affect their canadian stores.

#105 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

Amazon has bought Whole Foods for just over $13 billion
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#106 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

^ Cash.

http://money.cnn.com...oods/index.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#107 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Nice....so can W-F patrons now expect grocery "home drone" deliveries? Quite the shockwave for grocery retailers as I see the stocks for all of Kroger, SuperValu and CostCo are all down as they now have to go toe to toe not only with other non-traditional grocery outlets like Target and Walmart, but now tech giant Amazon. One can only speculate what innovations they are contemplating implementing.

#108 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

One can only speculate what innovations they are contemplating implementing.

Refrigerated perishables, wheeled baskets so you can carry more stuff, self checkout, bring your own bags...

Maybe they'll use drones to deliver milk and juice to your front door. And we'll all wonder how they come up with these ingenious ideas.

#109 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

One can only speculate what innovations they are contemplating implementing.

The Washington Post reports this morning Amazon is patenting technology that will intercept your wifi signal to prevent you from comparison shopping. So you're in Whole Foods checking prices on your phone and it either redirects to an Amazon-Whole Foods site or pops up an in-store coupon or other incentive.

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

The Washington Post reports this morning Amazon is patenting technology that will intercept your wifi signal to prevent you from comparison shopping. So you're in Whole Foods checking prices on your phone and it either redirects to an Amazon-Whole Foods site or pops up an in-store coupon or other incentive.

Amazon’s long been a go-to for people to online price compare while shopping at brick-and-mortars. Now, a new patent granted to the company could prevent people from doing just that inside Amazon’s own stores.

The patent, titled “Physical Store Online Shopping Control,” details a mechanism where a retailer can intercept network requests like URLs and search terms that happen on its in-store Wi-Fi, then act upon them in various ways.

The document details in great length how a retailer like Amazon would use this information to its benefit. If, for example, the retailer sees you’re trying to access a competitor’s website to price check an item, it could compare the requested content to what’s offered in-store and then send price comparison information or a coupon to your browser instead. Or it could suggest a complementary item, or even block content outright.

https://www.theverge...-price-checking

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 June 2017 - 10:06 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

How will they prevent you from walking across the parking lot to the other supermarket?

• Rob Randall likes this

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Just one more reason not to shop at Whole Foods I guess.

#113 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

Just use cell data instead. Not many grocery stores have open wifi yet anyways. Shrug.

• 57WestHills likes this

#114 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Refrigerated perishables, wheeled baskets so you can carry more stuff, self checkout, bring your own bags...

Maybe they'll use drones to deliver milk and juice to your front door. And we'll all wonder how they come up with these ingenious ideas.

Clearly you've never been to an Amazon distribution center; in terms of 'innovation" I was thinking less of technology per se and more in terms of distribution and especially purchasing efficiencies, practices and acumen, not to mention the fact that unlike some of the traditional grocery chains Amazon has both the means and the scale to price its goods extremely aggressively.

Moreover as a traditional bricks and mortar enterprise Whole Foods is a store with generally very expensive real estate and high prices, which is the opposite of what Amazon is all about, so it'll be interesting to see how Amazon brings Whole Foods into the fold and adapts to a completely different business model. Obviously there is a plan to do that otherwise they never would have made the foray into the grocery realm in the first place.

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

Why are grocery stores so big?   Because they have tons of stock on the floor.  40 bags of one brand/flavour of chips, 300 jugs of milk, 40 buckets of ice cream.  How about Amazon uses its robotics to make stores smaller?  Robots stock the shelves faster (not normal shelves, these will be shelves that stock from below).  AND of course, the big one they already have at Amazon Go, you do not unload your cart all over again at the self-serve till.  You just leave the store, your SmartCart™ knows what you have.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 June 2017 - 10:58 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#116 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

We already know what Amazon is doing in the grocery space because they have a prototype store.  https://www.amazon.c...ode=16008589011

What's better than self checkout?  No checkout.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 16 June 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

How will they prevent you from walking across the parking lot to the other supermarket?

Drones, of course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

I can think of a more innovative way. No parking lot.

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:39 AM

Or having your partner RUN across the parking lot and back with the information.

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

I can think of a more innovative way.

Are you thinking zipline?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users